Monorail Update January 2015

Figment2005

Quite a few years ago I was staying at the Contemporary and at close of service they parked two monorails inside and they had a fairly large staff of what for all the world looked like house keeping folks go through and clean the two trains very thoroughly. I thought that was a great idea and a good use of resources but a few years later someone told me they had to stop doing that because the union that represented the transit folks didn't want people who weren't in their union "touching" any transit vehicles ever for any reason. > I obviously don't know if that was true of not <
They still do this, nothing has changed.

articos

Here are a few more pics of the renovations being done. So any guesses? More OSHA requirements or just plan old upgrades?

View attachment 94457

View attachment 94458

View attachment 94459

View attachment 94460
New stairs have been covered by @wdwmagic actually. Emergency egress stairs due to the number of people being put through the TTC on a normal basis these days. Nothing major, and not an expansion of the TTC. I do love they've matched the new railings to the originals - those railings are a 'classic' design.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Quite a few years ago I was staying at the Contemporary and at close of service they parked two monorails inside and they had a fairly large staff of what for all the world looked like house keeping folks go through and clean the two trains very thoroughly. I thought that was a great idea and a good use of resources but a few years later someone told me they had to stop doing that because the union that represented the transit folks didn't want people who weren't in their union "touching" any transit vehicles ever for any reason. > I obviously don't know if that was true of not <

They still do this, nothing has changed.

When we were there in March, we stayed at the GF, and noticed more than once during our stay, and during the day that a particular car was closed, and they had a CM inside cleaning. The CM was using window cleaner and had some trash in his hand. I asked if it was because of someone getting sick, and the other CM told us that no one had gotten sick, just cleaning it up during the day. I think things are starting to really turn around, and someone is finally getting it that the quality needs to return to the older levels.

hpyhnt 1000

When we were there in March, we stayed at the GF, and noticed more than once during our stay, and during the day that a particular car was closed, and they had a CM inside cleaning. The CM was using window cleaner and had some trash in his hand. I asked if it was because of someone getting sick, and the other CM told us that no one had gotten sick, just cleaning it up during the day. I think things are starting to really turn around, and someone is finally getting it that the quality needs to return to the older levels.

Well, get that person over to the Grand Floridian...

...and Kali. And Dinosaur. And Living with the Land. And Pirates. And Space Mountain. What I'm really saying is, make that person the head of TDO and fill every other decision making position with people just like him/her.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I think a huge issue with doing any sort of major upgrade on the existing MK lines is just the operational component. Although buses and boats can handle it when absolutely needed, I can't imagine several months of monorail downtime for upgrades.

Everyone pays attention to how dirty the monorails get but no one notices the big black spot on the back of the cruisers because they aren't getting washed - and the reason is because they can't pull the boat out of service in the day time to wash it(the light show crew washes the boat on a rotation prior to their show time) and they apparently couldn't keep night staff consistently(although I think it was a budget thing)

Anyway, the point is operationally I don't think it could be done. Even if the boats could handle it(can't speak to buses) there is a huge imbalance in the department with the number of pilots who can drive the ferries specifically at night. If they haven't figured out how to fix that problem after this many years, I doubt they ever will and that hinders progress.

Monorail_Red_77

Speaking of the video monitor built into the monorail pilots cabin in the monorails. I just stumbled across this pic I took during last weekends 24 hour event. This was at the Contemporary. You can see to the left of the pilot the video monitor located in the wall cabinet by the door. I believe this is for the rear facing camera that is mounted at the opposite end of the monorail for added safety during backing operations when pilots are running monorails in reverse. These monitors are located at both ends of the monorails.

IMG_5459.JPG
IMG_5461.JPG
IMG_5462.JPG

Here is a look at the opposite end of the same monorail (orange) as it goes past. You can see the other monitor to the left of where the pilot would sit.

IMG_5467.JPG

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Speaking of the video monitor built into the monorail pilots cabin in the monorails. I just stumbled across this pic I took during last weekends 24 hour event. This was at the Contemporary. You can see to the left of the pilot the video monitor located in the wall cabinet by the door. I believe this is for the rear facing camera that is mounted at the opposite end of the monorail for added safety during backing operations when pilots are running monorails in reverse. These monitors are located at both ends of the monorails.

View attachment 95222 View attachment 95223 View attachment 95224

Here is a look at the opposite end of the same monorail (orange) as it goes past. You can see the other monitor to the left of where the pilot would sit.

View attachment 95225

That looks like switches and a control board to me.

Monorail_Red_77

That looks like switches and a control board to me.

You are partially correct.
Here is a detailed pic showing the different parts in the picture.
The red box is the black and white video monitor.
The yellow box is the server rack style box of switches. I assume this is for automation equip also.

mono video.jpg

Big C 73

Disney actually bought the plant that made the EPCOT Center line beams after the park opened. They intended to use it for the Lake Buena Vista line.

That didn't exactly go to plan.

I know this is somewhat of a late response in referral to your original posting, but I was hoping to inquire if you know the exact route or placement of the Lake Buena Vista monorail line (or any other concept expansions for that matter) have seen the concept models before that include the Peoplemover and subsidiary transportation hub, yet past that things are quite receded in clarification. It would be greatly appreciated if you happen to know such, thanks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know this is somewhat of a late response in referral to your original posting, but I was hoping to inquire if you know the exact route or placement of the Lake Buena Vista monorail line (or any other concept expansions for that matter) have seen the concept models before that include the Peoplemover and subsidiary transportation hub, yet past that things are quite receded in clarification. It would be greatly appreciated if you happen to know such, thanks.
There's been two lines proposed to leave EPCOT for the village. One was from the parking lot heading east, the other more detailed route was East between Horizons and Life. It ran in a straight line to EPCOT Center drive where it curved south then east to run in the median of BVD towards the hub.

P_Radden

There's been two lines proposed to leave EPCOT for the village. One was from the parking lot heading east, the other more detailed route was East between Horizons and Life. It ran in a straight line to EPCOT Center drive where it curved south then east to run in the median of BVD towards the hub.

Pretty cool info. I don't suppose you have any concept maps?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Pretty cool info. I don't suppose you have any concept maps?
Leaving Futureworld:

image.jpg

Looping around LBV:

image.jpg

And a hybrid. Here the Horizons line (in blue) now runs East then south and skirts the Caribbean Beach. Note Test Track and a proposed Mission Space, dating this as mid to late 90s.

Also note the second spur in the parking lot (again in blue) of a double line travelling North and then curving East towards the Vacation Club (as it was then) and LBV.

This one also shows one of the proposed DMGM spur routes too (yellow)

image.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

I'm sure @Figment2005 can provide more info, but those screens are for the new fire suppression system which replaces the previous fire detection system.

The rear view monitors are located on the ceiling above the drivers' head.

Ok, that makes sense too. I was not able to get too close either time I have seen them so all I could tell is that they were black and white monitors and I know that pilot POV cameras are now mounted on all or most monorails.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom