News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Ok, remember what I said earlier about the monorail's audio not being synced? Well, it's gotten even worse. Watched a youtube video earlier and the resort monorail is not playing anything most of the time except for short clips of the express spiel while going in the wrong direction...

Youtuber was just facing the wrong way... see problem solved ;)

Possibly another broken power shoe?

New corporate line, “for guest safety, new breakaway parts have been installed to reduce friction with the rails and decrease travel time. We’re also pleased to announce testing of our automatic cab ventilation system, to improve unwanted guest odors during peak times.”

DisneyInsider101

Ok, remember what I said earlier about the monorail's audio not being synced? Well, it's gotten even worse. Watched a youtube video earlier and the resort monorail is not playing anything most of the time except for short clips of the express spiel while going in the wrong direction...
It's been broken since they launched the automatic monorail thing last year that doesn't need a pilot I believe.

msg7

It's been broken since they launched the automatic monorail thing last year that doesn't need a pilot I believe.
It was never this bad though.
Side note, not about the upgrades but about the automation/ monorails in general. Has anyone else noticed that the audio has been all messed up since the automation? On my last trip some spiels played way too early/late (BLT right after leaving MK, Wedding Pavillion right before arriving at the GF) and some have been completely scrapped altogether ("Now Entering Disney's Contemporary Resort.") Just something small that I picked up on. Also, Monorail Silver, when arriving at a station will play audio for departing that station. Both of these things bother me even though they're relatively minor.
These issues were common but now, it's a whole different ballgame.

I don't know if it's just me but the spiel "makes the magic" on the monorail.

msg7

Out of curiosity, anyone know if the audio triggers set by track location or by one larger audio file / timeline.
I read somewhere that it actually used to be on a casette tape! However, now it is digital. (Not sure if digital means by track location or that it's just an mp3 file that plays like a cassette tape.) Someone on here had a very detailed post about how the audio system works (I think the system was called something like a CMPAS?) If that person is viewing this, would you mind filling us in again? Or even if any current/former pilots would mind filling us in!

wishiwere@wdw

Is this by the bus stop? I'm not sure it's necessarily monorail related. Could just as easily be some work going on at the hotel.
Obviously anything is possible and I’m no expert but being that there were about 10 people in a grass area under the beam searching around while frequently looking up, I guess some assumptions can be made. The pic I took was towards the end when they were walking away and wrapping things up. For all I know, a sprinkler head broke in the hedge. Who knows lol. It was a rather large amount of activity for sure which caught a lot of guests attention.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I read somewhere that it actually used to be on a casette tape! However, now it is digital. (Not sure if digital means by track location or that it's just an mp3 file that plays like a cassette tape.) Someone on here had a very detailed post about how the audio system works (I think the system was called something like a CMPAS?) If that person is viewing this, would you mind filling us in again? Or even if any current/former pilots would mind filling us in!

I have no doubt it’s digital onboard audio player, just was curious if it is in fact one long file. (Which that would easily explain the timing issues) but for consistency, I would assume there is something triggering when the player should start. Thinking about all this makes me wonder about updates to bus audio spiels too considering the number of busses in use.

s8film40

Out of curiosity, anyone know if the audio triggers set by track location or by one larger audio file / timeline.
It is triggered by location. Originally it was cassette tapes kind of like 8-track tapes so that they could continuously loop. It was later replaced with a digital binloop. The pilots would trigger the audio based on landmarks. Then later they put little orange sensors along the track to trigger these automatically. Only problem is if it misses the sensor for whatever reason then that's it there's no way to play the correct audio. I actually really enjoyed these and would make an effort to play them correctly when it was still manual. In fact sometimes if there was a long wait I would cue up the long piece from the Epcot spiel and play it while waiting. Yes it is called CMPAS, the other audio system is DPAS which plays the door chime and warning.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
It is triggered by location. Originally it was cassette tapes kind of like 8-track tapes so that they could continuously loop. It was later replaced with a digital binloop. The pilots would trigger the audio based on landmarks. Then later they put little orange sensors along the track to trigger these automatically. Only problem is if it misses the sensor for whatever reason then that's it there's no way to play the correct audio. I actually really enjoyed these and would make an effort to play them correctly when it was still manual. In fact sometimes if there was a long wait I would cue up the long piece from the Epcot spiel and play it while waiting. Yes it is called CMPAS, the other audio system is DPAS which plays the door chime and warning.

Thanks for the info.

msg7

Based on your recent posts, I'm assuming that you were/are a pilot. You should think about doing an AMA on reddit
(r/ waltdisneyworld)! People (including me lol) will love it!

s8film40

peachykeen

When I was a trainer/coordinator there, my Monorail key would unlock the spiels on the screen, so I could select and play random ones. That was fun!

msg7

I read a comment on a Youtube video which showed door problems on the monorail that said that Disney is blocking off half of the cars on some of the monorails. (I imagine this is a safety precaution because of the door incident.) The capacity is bad as it already is!

EDIT: Video; Found it in my recommended last night (You can tell I'm trying to find any problem with the monorail and expose it lol.)

Last edited:

peter11435

I read a comment on a Youtube video which showed door problems on the monorail that said that Disney is blocking off half of the cars on some of the monorails. (I imagine this is a safety precaution because of the door incident.) The capacity is bad as it already is!

EDIT: Video; Found it in my recommended last night (You can tell I'm trying to find any problem with the monorail and expose it lol.)

I didn’t watch the video but it is common for Disney to block off certain cars at each station on the resort monorail to guarantee availability for guests from other resorts. For example cabs will be locked and left empty at the contemporary and Polynesian stations so they will be available for guests at the grand Floridian.

msg7

I didn’t watch the video but it is common for Disney to block off certain cars at each station on the resort monorail to guarantee availability for guests from other resorts. For example cabs will be locked and left empty at the contemporary and Polynesian stations so they will be available for guests at the grand Floridian.
Didn't know this! Do you know when they started doing this or is it a procedure used at peak times?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom