News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

asianway

The Lime & Coral project and the 6th cars for all the remaining 5 car trains was the same project. This photo summarizes the project (also one of my favorite photos, really shows the philosophy Disney used to have).
View attachment 260747

Gold was the only train to not get the 6th car, supposedly it was used to replace the burned out car from the fire on Silver. Also The Blue/Red crash was early 70's (I think '74) is that what you were referring to or something else?

Here's a shot from one of the times I visited them.
View attachment 260748
The Red car was initially sold by Disney directly on eBay. It was supposed to be just the cab but they realized it was going to be a lot of work and asked the high bidder if he would be okay with the whole car. He was happy to have the whole thing. He was a partner in Mouse Surplus and they offered it a few times on eBay as well as using it as a promotional piece "for sale" at their location near the FL mall. It was always offered at ridiculously high prices. I always assumed they did this just to drum up traffic to their eBay page and well if anyone decided to actually pay ten times what he did he'd probably accept it. I believe the Mouse Surplus owners split up and it was relocated back to his hometown in Georgia. It was later sold on eBay at a more realistic price and the current owner drives it around and I believe he takes it to the burning man festivals occasionally.
That was the warehouse I saw a pic from before, but I think the one I saw had all 4 cabs lines up together. Thanks for the project board - fascinating!

On blue...it just disappeared at some point, but I know it wasnt there in 88 or 89. Someone said it went out for its 6th car and never came back, so there was a rotation they worked through and yea gold never made it. I guess it wasnt the crash just my mind blurring them together I guess

s8film40

That was the warehouse I saw a pic from before, but I think the one I saw had all 4 cabs lines up together. Thanks for the project board - fascinating!

On blue...it just disappeared at some point, but I know it wasnt there in 88 or 89. Someone said it went out for its 6th car and never came back, so there was a rotation they worked through and yea gold never made it. I guess it wasnt the crash just my mind blurring them together I guess
Yeah all the cars were all lined up, some of them were kind of buried towards the back. There were twelve cars total in the corner of that warehouse. Here's another shot from up higher you can see how they were all just kind of stacked in there. Sorry it's so dark and grainy.
Picture0010.JPG

I think I know why you didn't see Blue during that time. I remember hearing that they took the train apart and reconfigured it with fewer cars to test some of the Mark VI stuff overnight.

jbolen2

Yeah all the cars were all lined up, some of them were kind of buried towards the back. There were twelve cars total in the corner of that warehouse. Here's another shot from up higher you can see how they were all just kind of stacked in there. Sorry it's so dark and grainy.
View attachment 260811

I think I know why you didn't see Blue during that time. I remember hearing that they took the train apart and reconfigured it with fewer cars to test some of the Mark VI stuff overnight.
Are they still piled up in the warehouse?

jbolen2

No, other the Car 1 of Red which was sold and few other parts they were all scrapped.

You would think they would have used one car for some type of display on property. That leads me to think if there could be a need for a Disney museum on property.

msg7

This just crossed my mind... Do any of you know what the buttons inside the door frame of the monorail do? On my trip this past summer, when the door's had trouble closing, a cm would come over and push one of the buttons. This is something I haven't seen in past years. Can anyone help? I'm thinking it might be a door override function.

Attached: Picture with arrow pointing to buttons.

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 5.27.01 PM.png

Figment2005

This just crossed my mind... Do any of you know what the buttons inside the door frame of the monorail do? On my trip this past summer, when the door's had trouble closing, a cm would come over and push one of the buttons. This is something I haven't seen in past years. Can anyone help? I'm thinking it might be a door override function.

Attached: Picture with arrow pointing to buttons.

View attachment 260960
Those mark the cars for anyone who needs assistance with a ramp. (ECV, Wheelchair, etc.)

s8film40

The nose cone of Purple used to be behind the Contemporary convention center, and now DEG has it. Any idea is thats real or a replicated prop?
Yeah, I forgot about that one it's real, but actually Blue not Purple. It originally was cut off and the WDW logo added to it. The chairs all remained inside the cab, but the console was removed and a table added. It was at some point later repainted and lost the WDW logo and seems like they used a much darker shade of blue because it does almost look purple now. I assume it's stored at World Showplace now, that seems to be where it pops up most of the time. The photo below is the way it looked originally after being removed. I had a color version of this, but can't seem to find it off hand, but it was the lighter shade of blue at this point.
243monorailcab.jpg

asianway

Yeah, I forgot about that one it's real, but actually Blue not Purple. It originally was cut off and the WDW logo added to it. The chairs all remained inside the cab, but the console was removed and a table added. It was at some point later repainted and lost the WDW logo and seems like they used a much darker shade of blue because it does almost look purple now. I assume it's stored at World Showplace now, that seems to be where it pops up most of the time. The photo below is the way it looked originally after being removed. I had a color version of this, but can't seem to find it off hand, but it was the lighter shade of blue at this point.View attachment 261032
that one I do know - the DEG prop warehouse is off property near the JW. TIW had a dinner there once

msg7

Ok, remember what I said earlier about the monorail's audio not being synced? Well, it's gotten even worse. Watched a youtube video earlier and the resort monorail is not playing anything most of the time except for short clips of the express spiel while going in the wrong direction...

wishiwere@wdw

More fun monorail action tonight? Walking back to Contemporary I see a whole crew on the lawn and under the beam in front of BLT just off the Contemp bus stop. Seems like no stoppage of service though so who knows. Lots and lots of attention though! Hopefully everybody is well and it was nothing serious :)

Attachments

• C8D0547F-0519-4696-A713-70483231FECD.jpeg
    C8D0547F-0519-4696-A713-70483231FECD.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 320

msg7

More fun monorail action tonight? Walking back to Contemporary I see a whole crew on the lawn and under the beam in front of BLT just off the Contemp bus stop. Seems like no stoppage of service though so who knows. Lots and lots of attention though! Hopefully everybody is well and it was nothing serious :)
Possibly another broken power shoe?

s8film40

Is this by the bus stop? I'm not sure it's necessarily monorail related. Could just as easily be some work going on at the hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom