News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

s8film40

I wasn't actually referring to engineering knowledge at Disney - they should have kept up that knowledge over the years. When you're continually maintaining a system, that knowledge needs to be passed down and can be passed down.

I'm talking more about Bombardier. Just because they developed the current monorail, doesn't mean that after 30 years they still have that institutional knowledge to make it more cost effective and reliable - in fact it's more likely they don't, unless their current design are pretty close to the Disney design.
Well I would agree with the concept of what you're saying, however Bombardier has continued to develop upon the initial Disney designed monorail. They have also operated the Vegas monorail and still do today. So they have not only continued to create new generations based on the Disney design, but also have people working with the trains daily. And yes, the current design that they currently offer is an advanced version of the Disney monorail.

s8film40

What is the reason for the feud between bombardier and Disney?
Disney asked for multiple changes during the Mark VI project. This required upgrading the power system, Bombardier supposedly told them this would happen they said to go ahead anyway. Disney later sued Bombardier for the cost to upgrade. They obviously got past this since then as they had what seems to be an okay relationship at periods after that. If there's a feud now I can't imagine what the reason would be. The reality is the individual people on both sides have likely long since moved on. I think it's just easy for people to speculate that there's a supposed feud simply because there was a lawsuit 30 years ago.

Edit: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...9011030263_1_bombardier-monorail-disney-world

jbolen2

Disney asked for multiple changes during the Mark VI project. This required upgrading the power system, Bombardier supposedly told them this would happen they said to go ahead anyway. Disney later sued Bombardier for the cost to upgrade. They obviously got past this since then as they had what seems to be an okay relationship at periods after that. If there's a feud now I can't imagine what the reason would be. The reality is the individual people on both sides have likely long since moved on. I think it's just easy for people to speculate that there's a supposed feud simply because there was a lawsuit 30 years ago.

Edit: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...9011030263_1_bombardier-monorail-disney-world

The knowledge of new and old information of Disney on this site never ceases to amaze me.

Rteetz

There was an apparent issue when Peach and Teal were put into service which is much more recent than that lawsuit. I don't know details of the more recent issues though.

s8film40

There was an apparent issue when Peach and Teal were put into service which is much more recent than that lawsuit. I don't know details of the more recent issues though.
I can’t imagine what that would be about. It’s not like those are new trains. I don’t see how Bombardier or Disney would have an issue over rebuilding two cabs and painting stripes a different color. I was still in Monorails during that period and don’t recall hearing anything like that at all.

Movielover

Just waiting for the 'closed for refurbishment' signs on the monorail stations that will be up for the next decade or so until a storm knocks over a pylon or two and Disney finally decides to demo the track.

1517405974284.png

s8film40

I didn't see the video. What happened in it?
The train stopped a couple of times on it's way to MK then overshot it's stop at the MK station. The video really didn't illustrate it very well, so the person who posted it added titles to the video explaining what was happening.

Brad Bishop

With a lull in the monorail news, now might be a good time for you folks to check out a series the New York Times did on the decline of the NYC Subway system. From deferred critical maintenance and misappropriated transit dollars to well connected contractors and unions driving up construction costs, compared to other major metro projects around the world. It’s about an hour plus read, but it’s an incredibly well researched and a fascinating look at how once great systems and organizations fail-hint, hint. It was recently capped off with a strong argument for substantial investment in the subway to keep the city vibrant and exceptional. Plus the Times just posted a short video with all the key points from the series, so you really don’t have an excuse to not check it out.

The same thing happened to the water system in Atlanta a few years back. Some of the pipes were still original (hollowed out logs from 100+ years back). No maintenance, just fix what's broken today. Then it all started falling apart and became a huge expensive deal.

It would have been so much easier to just upgrade areas as needed over the years and properly maintain the system but they saved money (well, didn't spend it on this - they just spent it elsewhere - they're government). Such a dumb way of handling things.

msg7

Odd question, does anyone have a video of the express monorail stopping at the Contemporary? Thanks! lol

asianway

They started rolling out in 1989 yes, the 'newest' full car (Excluding those put together from parts of crashed cars) went online in 1991, so they'll have been in service for 30 years next year.

In comparison the Mark IV they replaced were in service from 1971 to 1989 (18 years).

Its worth noting as well that age wasn't the primary reason of the Mark IV being replaced - they were a fair bit smaller and Disney had to start adding an additional car to get a bit more capacity out of them. That being said the two youngest cars were only introduced in 1984 so were only used for 5 years! They did get a new life in Las Vegas and were in use up until 2004 (20 years).

In the grand scheme of things the monorails are not that old. They are just the oldest fleet Disney has had. If they were correctly maintained (and given real refurbishments, not a quick wipe over and some crappy new carpet on the walls) they'd have lasted another 10 years. But because Disney cut corners we're left with crappy old monorails that have lost their prestigious reliability score of 99.985%

Give it time, they'll be replaced. Till then expect more screwups and more incidents.
To clarify, the 84 event was the addition of 2 completely new trains, lime and coral. This was separate from the addition of a 6th car to all trains(except gold and maybe blue-which I think never came back after the MK station crash). Red and Silver were the last trains to gain their 6th car, and along with lime and coral were the last Mark IV trains in service. Lime and Coral went to Vegas, and the cabs of Red and Silver were warehoused(anyone have that pic? I seem to have lost my copy). One of the red cabs ended up at TPC and then to a private collector. I last saw Lime and Coral in a boneyard in Vegas. And even heard legend some of the trains are buried NW of the MK. Anyone have more lore to share?

s8film40

To clarify, the 84 event was the addition of 2 completely new trains, lime and coral. This was separate from the addition of a 6th car to all trains(except gold and maybe blue-which I think never came back after the MK station crash).
The Lime & Coral project and the 6th cars for all the remaining 5 car trains was the same project. This photo summarizes the project (also one of my favorite photos, really shows the philosophy Disney used to have).
image21.jpg

Gold was the only train to not get the 6th car, supposedly it was used to replace the burned out car from the fire on Silver. Also The Blue/Red crash was early 70's (I think '74) is that what you were referring to or something else?
Lime and Coral went to Vegas, and the cabs of Red and Silver were warehoused(anyone have that pic? I seem to have lost my copy).
Here's a shot from one of the times I visited them.
DCP_0026.JPG

One of the red cabs ended up at TPC and then to a private collector. I last saw Lime and Coral in a boneyard in Vegas. And even heard legend some of the trains are buried NW of the MK. Anyone have more lore to share?
The Red car was initially sold by Disney directly on eBay. It was supposed to be just the cab but they realized it was going to be a lot of work and asked the high bidder if he would be okay with the whole car. He was happy to have the whole thing. He was a partner in Mouse Surplus and they offered it a few times on eBay as well as using it as a promotional piece "for sale" at their location near the FL mall. It was always offered at ridiculously high prices. I always assumed they did this just to drum up traffic to their eBay page and well if anyone decided to actually pay ten times what he did he'd probably accept it. I believe the Mouse Surplus owners split up and it was relocated back to his hometown in Georgia. It was later sold on eBay at a more realistic price and the current owner drives it around and I believe he takes it to the burning man festivals occasionally.

Brad Bishop

I've actually been to visit it - probably back in 2009 or so. It was kind of neat to look at but it was basically a monorail car on a flatbed and you couldn't go in it when I was there - it was just parked out beside the building.

s8film40

I've actually been to visit it - probably back in 2009 or so. It was kind of neat to look at but it was basically a monorail car on a flatbed and you couldn't go in it when I was there - it was just parked out beside the building.
I think it's pretty much been on that flatbed ever since it's move from GA to FL, and when it sold it was sold with the flatbed. Not easy to climb up into it with the added height, but I did it a few times!
DSC03268 copy.jpeg

selbymic

What would cause this to happen? If the controls for the doors are on the exterior of the front cabs, they couldn't accidently be operated while in motion, so I guess this is some sort of mechanical malfunction? Wouldn't there be fail safes to prevent this exact senario from happening though?
They are probably using a contact sensor; that's what is used on most safety doors because they are simple and typically very reliable. Obviously, whatever they are using malfunctioned. That's why you do preventative maintenance. If you own anything mechanical i.e. a car, then you know that some of the sensors will occasionally malfunction; that's one of the reasons that your check engine light will sometimes go on and then go off the next time you start the car. I understand that. What I don't understand is why the cast members standing there don't do a visual check. Perhaps they did and the door opened in route.

s8film40

They are probably using a contact sensor; that's what is used on most safety doors because they are simple and typically very reliable. Obviously, whatever they are using malfunctioned. That's why you do preventative maintenance. If you own anything mechanical i.e. a car, then you know that some of the sensors will occasionally malfunction; that's one of the reasons that your check engine light will sometimes go on and then go off the next time you start the car. I understand that. What I don't understand is why the cast members standing there don't do a visual check. Perhaps they did and the door opened in route.
Yes, the door opened in route. It wasn't a sensor issue, it was a mechanical issue since the door was/should have been locked closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom