News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

s8film40

Didn't know this! Do you know when they started doing this or is it a procedure used at peak times?
Probably early 70’s. It was done even more frequently with the Mark IV’s since it could reduce staffing. If fewer doors are opened fewer doors have to be manually closed by CM’s. In fact I believe there are still brackets in the ceiling of the MK station from when they had signs for which portion of the train unloaded at each resort. If you boarded the wrong section you didn’t get to get off at your hotel.

jbolen2

Probably early 70’s. It was done even more frequently with the Mark IV’s since it could reduce staffing. If fewer doors are opened fewer doors have to be manually closed by CM’s. In fact I believe there are still brackets in the ceiling of the MK station from when they had signs for which portion of the train unloaded at each resort. If you boarded the wrong section you didn’t get to get off at your hotel.

I feel like you and marni could make a great video of the history of the monorails

Creathir

Haha, I've never really gotten into reddit. I did do a podcast once.

http://disneyparkspodcast.com/disney-parks-podcast-show-229/

I was always interested in monorails so when I worked there I soaked up as much as I could.

Wow. THIS WAS A FANTASTIC PODCAST.

I had not heard this and as someone whom ADORES the monorail, you have no idea how awesome it was to hear the inner workings of the system. (Literally look at my favorite attraction at Disney World... it is the monorail...)

Thank you for the wonderful insight and sharing the link to the podcast, and more importantly, thank you for helping to carry on the legacy of piloting the monorails.

I remember riding in the cabin when I was a kid and then my wife and I riding in it on our honeymoon, the monorail is something which I truly do love and am thankful for the cast members such as yourself who(m) share(d) that passion for it.

Thank you!

Sonconato

Last night (9:30), the gates to the monorails for the resorts would not close, so the area was blocked off until the monorail was there. They couldn't preload the platform so it slowed things down.
IMG_4073.JPG
IMG_4074.JPG
IMG_4076.JPG

msg7

Last night (9:30), the gates to the monorails for the resorts would not close, so the area was blocked off until the monorail was there. They couldn't preload the platform so it slowed things down.
View attachment 263160View attachment 263161View attachment 263162
I’m assuming this is a result of a failure in the automated computers. I’ve said it once and i’ll Say it again, I’m not a fan of automation at all...

Side note: Does anyone know when they added the automated gates to the MK and TTC?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I’m assuming this is a result of a failure in the automated computers. I’ve said it once and i’ll Say it again, I’m not a fan of automation at all...

Side note: Does anyone know when they added the automated gates to the MK and TTC?

Its not automation thats the problem its lack of maintenance, Management assumes when something is automated that the need to maintain it goes away as well. Bzzt Wrong. Automated systems need more maintenance than their manual counterparts in large part due to no one is paying attention to it. On a manual gate if it gets squeaky it gets oiled, On an automatic gate its ignored till it no longer works and now you are replacing the burnt out motor which failed because the bearings froze from lack of lubricant because no one cared about the squeak

peter11435

Its not automation thats the problem its lack of maintenance, Management assumes when something is automated that the need to maintain it goes away as well. Bzzt Wrong. Automated systems need more maintenance than their manual counterparts in large part due to no one is paying attention to it. On a manual gate if it gets squeaky it gets oiled, On an automatic gate its ignored till it no longer works and now you are replacing the burnt out motor which failed because the bearings froze from lack of lubricant because no one cared about the squeak
I see you don’t understand how these gates work...

s8film40

These gates work on compressed air. If I were to guess I would guess that it's an issue with the air compressor or something else like that rather than the computers which are pretty simple and straightforward.

Creathir

What I don't understand is (And im not trying to diss on people who stay there) why connect hotels like Pop century/Art of animation directly to parks with this brand new transportation system. CONNECT EPCOT AND AK! CONNECT IT TO THE TTC!

The people staying at hotels around the TTC, Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom lodge are paying a very expensive premium compared to hotels like Pop century, and connecting it park to park and TTC would help the entire WDW resort out.

Why do that when you can raise the rates for Pop and Skyliner resorts? Premiums here AND there!!!

s8film40

What I don't understand is (And im not trying to diss on people who stay there) why connect hotels like Pop century/Art of animation directly to parks with this brand new transportation system. CONNECT EPCOT AND AK! CONNECT IT TO THE TTC!

The people staying at hotels around the TTC, Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom lodge are paying a very expensive premium compared to hotels like Pop century, and connecting it park to park and TTC would help the entire WDW resort out.
Why when you could just sell those people Minnie Van rides.

IanDLBZF

I’ve been told Disney was meeting with some companies this past week on possible train replacements...
The Disney News Show on Youtube reported that Disney had reached out to several monorail manufacturers - sans Siemens - about potential new monorail trains to replace the existing fleet. Now, on the contraire, the only two manufacturers of straddle-beam, Alweg Style, Monorail rolling stock from what we know is Bombardier and Hitachi. With that said this would appear a two person race as I do not think anyone else manufacturers Alweg style monorails.

It is also possible that the new trains could be built in the United States, per Federal "Buy America" regulations.

msg7

These gates work on compressed air. If I were to guess I would guess that it's an issue with the air compressor or something else like that rather than the computers which are pretty simple and straightforward.
I was thinking it was a computer glitch because on the automation control panels, the button that they press to close/open the doors is labeled “doors/gates.” I was thinking that the systems were intertwined with each other. It was either this or an air compressor failure.

trainplane3

The Disney News Show on Youtube reported that Disney had reached out to several monorail manufacturers - sans Siemens - about potential new monorail trains to replace the existing fleet. Now, on the contraire, the only two manufacturers of straddle-beam, Alweg Style, Monorail rolling stock from what we know is Bombardier and Hitachi. With that said this would appear a two person race as I do not think anyone else manufacturers Alweg style monorails.

It is also possible that the new trains could be built in the United States, per Federal "Buy America" regulations.

The source in that video was actually @Rteetz, so he knows about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom