News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

esskay

Not sure exactly what happened but the monorail was suspended at the poly last night for a while. There were emergency services there (fire, ambulance and sheriff) and Disney security blocking anyone going to the monorail station. Eventually reopened with no explanation.

I initially assumed it was more a case of something going on at the resort, but the firefighters were constantly in and out of the back monorail door.

DisneyInsider101

Not sure exactly what happened but the monorail was suspended at the poly last night for a while. There were emergency services there (fire, ambulance and sheriff) and Disney security blocking anyone going to the monorail station. Eventually reopened with no explanation.

I initially assumed it was more a case of something going on at the resort, but the firefighters were constantly in and out of the back monorail door.
One of the monorails was suspended at the contemporary too last night for about an hour or less.

lazyboy97o

That sounds more like a medical emergency than a monorail issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Disney News Show on Youtube reported that Disney had reached out to several monorail manufacturers - sans Siemens - about potential new monorail trains to replace the existing fleet. Now, on the contraire, the only two manufacturers of straddle-beam, Alweg Style, Monorail rolling stock from what we know is Bombardier and Hitachi. With that said this would appear a two person race as I do not think anyone else manufacturers Alweg style monorails.

It is also possible that the new trains could be built in the United States, per Federal "Buy America" regulations.

This is a great example of why you shouldn't consider someone a 'news source' just because they are published online.

msg7

Look at the first few seconds of the video. The monorail beams are gross af :hungover:

I've never really seen them "clean" so I'm used to this. A few pages pack someone shared a photo of the beams being repainted. Disney tries their "best" to keep up with the maintenance of the monorail beams.

asianway

Probably early 70’s. It was done even more frequently with the Mark IV’s since it could reduce staffing. If fewer doors are opened fewer doors have to be manually closed by CM’s. In fact I believe there are still brackets in the ceiling of the MK station from when they had signs for which portion of the train unloaded at each resort. If you boarded the wrong section you didn’t get to get off at your hotel.
Accurate - you used to have to go into the right "chute"

donsullivan

Premium Member
Is it mold or rubber from the tires?

It's likely a combination of all the same stuff that turns my driveway here in Orlando the exact same color on a regular basis. You don't have to drive rubber tires on it to get that, the normal rain and weather will produce the same blackening of concrete. The rain and humidity in this climate is absolutely brutal on anything that is left out in it. It's the reason I have to pressure wash my driveway, the sidewalks, the front walks, the pool deck etc (all concrete) at least twice a year to keep them clean.

They have occasionally pressure washed segments of the beams, especially the loop that runs through Epcot, etc.. However the mechanical process of doing that is incredibly cumbersome ( takes the longest garden hose you've ever seen) and difficult and takes a long, long time so it's not unreasonable for them to get behind on it. When you combine that with the new OSHA regulations they have to comply with, you can't just have someone hanging off the beam with a pressure washer to clean it. it doesn't do any real harm to the concrete which is why they have typically only cleaned those areas near stations and within the parks.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Oh my. I feel so stupid lol. I never realized that that’s mold.

It's a completely normal thing in this climate. If you look carefully at it, you may notice it's worse on the north side of a beam because gets little or no sun vs on the east, west or south facing sides. An area in the shade will be worse than an area in the sun. it's a totally normal thing here in Florida that we all fight, but our driveways are much easier and safer to clean than miles and miles of monorail beam up in the air.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's likely a combination of all the same stuff that turns my driveway here in Orlando the exact same color on a regular basis. You don't have to drive rubber tires on it to get that, the normal rain and weather will produce the same blackening of concrete. The rain and humidity in this climate is absolutely brutal on anything that is left out in it. It's the reason I have to pressure wash my driveway, the sidewalks, the front walks, the pool deck etc (all concrete) at least twice a year to keep them clean.

They have occasionally pressure washed segments of the beams, especially the loop that runs through Epcot, etc.. However the mechanical process of doing that is incredibly cumbersome ( takes the longest garden hose you've ever seen) and difficult and takes a long, long time so it's not unreasonable for them to get behind on it. When you combine that with the new OSHA regulations they have to comply with, you can't just have someone hanging off the beam with a pressure washer to clean it. it doesn't do any real harm to the concrete which is why they have typically only cleaned those areas near stations and within the parks.

I'm surprised they haven't built an engine that runs along the beams and power-washes them at the same time. Just like the street washers, but for beams.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm surprised they haven't build an engine that runs along the beams and power-washes them at the same time. Just like the street washers, but for beams.

I think the issue is water supply. The can only put so much water in a tank before they have weight issues in a localized segment of the beam. My sense is thats why I've only seen it done on segments of the beam within the park or stations where they could get a water truck below to feed water. Out on the open beam (especially at height) it's an issue

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the issue is water supply. The can only put so much water in a tank before they have weight issues in a localized segment of the beam. My sense is thats why I've only seen it done on segments of the beam within the park or stations where they could get a water truck below to feed water. Out on the open beam (especially at height) it's an issue

Have you seen the number of bags of mostly-water and their ample sizes that pile into a car on a daily basis? ;)

Besides an automated washer car can make as many automated reloads as it needs to during the night and every night of the year to keep up with a regular cleaning schedule.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom