News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

msg7

Side note, not about the upgrades but about the automation/ monorails in general. Has anyone else noticed that the audio has been all messed up since the automation? On my last trip some spiels played way too early/late (BLT right after leaving MK, Wedding Pavillion right before arriving at the GF) and some have been completely scrapped altogether ("Now Entering Disney's Contemporary Resort.") Just something small that I picked up on. Also, Monorail Silver, when arriving at a station will play audio for departing that station. Both of these things bother me even though they're relatively minor.

castlecake2.0

Side note, not about the upgrades but about the automation/ monorails in general. Has anyone else noticed that the audio has been all messed up since the automation? On my last trip some spiels played way too early/late (BLT right after leaving MK, Wedding Pavillion right before arriving at the GF) and some have been completely scrapped altogether ("Now Entering Disney's Contemporary Resort.") Just something small that I picked up on. Also, Monorail Silver, when arriving at a station will play audio for departing that station. Both of these things bother me even though they're relatively minor.

It’s been like that for years on the epcot Monorail. You never know if you’re going to get the “were on our way to Epcot, where the magic of Disney meets the wonder of the real world” spiel or not. I also noticed a few months ago there is a new spiel on the epcot line approaching the TTC talking about paying attention to directional signage and asking a host or hostess for assistance locating your next mode of transport.

s8film40

I know I am not @marni1971 or @Magic Feather but I wouldn't post this info if I didn't trust it. Just because Bombardier is the obvious choice doesn't mean Disney is or has to go with them. This is Disney after all, they don't make sense most of the time.
I’m not disputing your claim. I know sometimes these things happen and the talk that goes around isn’t exactly accurate. I remember Bombardier came out and did site visits and test runs for the Vegas monorail people and I seem to remember that led to some speculation as well at the time.

And yes, my normal rule for believing Disney rumors is if it sounds crazy it’s probably true. I think the only reason I’m leaning against this one is I have more knowledge around Monorail’s. Perhaps also I don’t want believe it as it would not be a good thing for monorails.

jbolen2

I’m not disputing your claim. I know sometimes these things happen and the talk that goes around isn’t exactly accurate. I remember Bombardier came out and did site visits and test runs for the Vegas monorail people and I seem to remember that led to some speculation as well at the time.

And yes, my normal rule for believing Disney rumors is if it sounds crazy it’s probably true. I think the only reason I’m leaning against this one is I have more knowledge around Monorail’s. Perhaps also I don’t want believe it as it would not be a good thing for monorails.

What do you see that from talk of replacing the trains would be bad?

s8film40

What do you see that from talk of replacing the trains would be bad?
If it’s some small company that doesn’t have experience with that system. I don’t see the regular big companies touching this. Bombardier is really the best or only choice. I’m not saying they’re the best or anything, but they’ve worked out all the issues with those trains and are already a few generations beyond the Mark VI. To me using another company would be a bit of a step backwards.

jbolen2

If it’s some small company that doesn’t have experience with that system. I don’t see the regular big companies touching this. Bombardier is really the best or only choice. I’m not saying they’re the best or anything, but they’ve worked out all the issues with those trains and are already a few generations beyond the Mark VI. To me using another company would be a bit of a step backwards.

That makes complete sense, you’d think that knowledge and compatibility with the Disney system they would be the front runner .

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Seems like any good engineering staff could design monorail bodies with interchangeable running gear to fit customers' existing rail requirements...

s8film40

Seems like any good engineering staff could design monorail bodies with interchangeable running gear to fit customers' existing rail requirements...
Yeah of coarse they can. The only difference among different companies is experience and the quality of the product. If it’s a company that does it regularly they will likely know how to do it better. If your ‘89 model car was getting old and worn out would you rather go to the dealership and buy a new one or take it to a machine shop and ask if they could build you one kind of like it but more modern.

lazyboy97o

Yeah of coarse they can. The only difference among different companies is experience and the quality of the product. If it’s a company that does it regularly they will likely know how to do it better. If your ‘89 model car was getting old and worn out would you rather go to the dealership and buy a new one or take it to a machine shop and ask if they could build you one kind of like it but more modern.
Let’s say both are equally great cars in the end, which path is likely going to be cheaper for the same result? I’d like to think that lessons were learned from building sweat boxes that couldn’t navigate their beam, but I also seem to be alone in have a lot of criticism for TRON Lightcycle Power Run and it’s Tomorrowland.

s8film40

Let’s say both are equally great cars in the end, which path is likely going to be cheaper for the same result? I’d like to think that lessons were learned from building sweat boxes that couldn’t navigate their beam, but I also seem to be alone in have a lot of criticism for TRON Lightcycle Power Run and it’s Tomorrowland.
Yeah theoretically the company that has the experience should have a lower cost. They’ve already paid for the engineering. They also may know of small issues with the previous version that they may make slight changes to correct. Another company doing something all new has to pay for the engineering and also has greater risk since their design may be totally untested. So then if the competing company is offering a comparable price we have to assume they are making sacrifices somewhere.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

Depends on how attached you’ve become to that ‘89.

msg7

Another incident... Looks like it was a glitch from the computer system for the automation this time. I feel like we may see a lawsuit against Thales, the company who automated the monorail, very soon.

EDIT: Video-

Last edited:

s8film40

Another incident... Looks like it was a glitch from the computer system for the automation this time. I feel like we may see a lawsuit against Thales, the company who automated the monorail, very soon.

EDIT: Video-

While I would be the first to be critical of the state of the monorails I don’t see anything too crazy here. I can’t speak to how the system operates with automation, but I can think of a few routine situations that could have resulted in this. Not normal, but certainly wouldn’t describe something like this as “another incident”.

I missed my stop a couple of times over the years, not sure how a computer does it but it doesn’t seem too serious an issue.

msg7

While I would be the first to be critical of the state of the monorails I don’t see anything too crazy here. I can’t speak to how the system operates with automation, but I can think of a few routine situations that could have resulted in this. Not normal, but certainly wouldn’t describe something like this as “another incident”.

I missed my stop a couple of times over the years, not sure how a computer does it but it doesn’t seem too serious an issue.
I 100% agree with you. I’m too critical of the monorail nowadays that I’ll jump on any issue I see lol. However, from what i’ve seen, the automation has been a downgrade to the system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom