Monorail Pics.....

nace888

GEDC0237.jpg

Nice shot!! If there are any current or former pilots on here, how's it feel to pilot one of these??

peachykeen

Nice shot!! If there are any current or former pilots on here, how's it feel to pilot one of these??

Awesome :) Some Monorail CMs look at it as a clock-in, stand around, drive some, clock-out job, but a lot take a lot of pride in what they do. Sometimes it's easy to forget that behind your seat you have 203.5 feet of train filled with up to 360 passengers and its up to you to get them where they are going. If your train malfunctions, a good driver may be able to get it moving again. A bad driver means you're getting towed. Good drivers know all the tricks to cutting seconds off of their lap time and pride themselves on being "Exit drivers" (the ones who drive express right after fireworks) and others are content to tool around slowly on Resort or Epcot all day. Different strokes. Some don't even like driving.

I feel a lot of pride when I pull into the station and step out of my cab and most people within a 20-foot radius are looking at you. Sure, it's just a smelly Monorail at a theme park, but to the proud drivers, it's a MkIV WDW Monorail and you know the ins and outs of that thing and every indication it could give you.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Awesome :) Some Monorail CMs look at it as a clock-in, stand around, drive some, clock-out job, but a lot take a lot of pride in what they do. Sometimes it's easy to forget that behind your seat you have 203.5 feet of train filled with up to 360 passengers and its up to you to get them where they are going. If your train malfunctions, a good driver may be able to get it moving again. A bad driver means you're getting towed. Good drivers know all the tricks to cutting seconds off of their lap time and pride themselves on being "Exit drivers" (the ones who drive express right after fireworks) and others are content to tool around slowly on Resort or Epcot all day. Different strokes. Some don't even like driving.

I feel a lot of pride when I pull into the station and step out of my cab and most people within a 20-foot radius are looking at you. Sure, it's just a smelly Monorail at a theme park, but to the proud drivers, it's a MkIV WDW Monorail and you know the ins and outs of that thing and every indication it could give you.

Good stuff. All the reasons I simply must drive one someday.

nace888

Considering on the fact I plan on going to Florida for college and want to drive these as a job, is it hard? Fun? Irritating? What's your opinions?

Communicore

I wanted to take a picture of Blue "just chillin'" on the MK line above the bus stops during EMH, it appeears to be "mocking" the GF, Poly, and CR guests boarding the buses. I pictured it having eyes like the "Cars" monorail on the parks merchandise, and then laughing the "Thriller" laugh.

peachykeen

Considering on the fact I plan on going to Florida for college and want to drive these as a job, is it hard? Fun? Irritating? What's your opinions?

At first it can be a little scary but that is more nervousness than anything else. A couple weeks after training is when most people start to loosen up and try to find the overspeed tricks that can cut down on your lap times. To be honest, the whole department was a lot more enjoyable before 2009 but obviously some things had to change after that summer.

The department itself can be a little irritating, with the management seeming to make decisions that, to the hourly cast don't make any sense, but you just have to learn to roll with it.

parkmonky

it's also pretty damn cool (especially at night when trains are going out of service) knowing your one of the only maybe 3 people in the world driving the Walt Disney World Monorail at that specific time. :cool:

s8film40

it's also pretty damn cool (especially at night when trains are going out of service) knowing your one of the only maybe 3 people in the world driving the Walt Disney World Monorail at that specific time. :cool:

That is a neat feeling! I had the rare opportunity once to drive a monorail and it was the only one on the system. Best of all the driving was at my discretion, there was no central dispatch at the time and I was allowed to drive the train whenever, wherever, and however I wanted. It was a pretty amazing feeling knowing that the train was there just for me to "play" with!

nace888

That is a neat feeling! I had the rare opportunity once to drive a monorail and it was the only one on the system. Best of all the driving was at my discretion, there was no central dispatch at the time and I was allowed to drive the train whenever, wherever, and however I wanted. It was a pretty amazing feeling knowing that the train was there just for me to "play" with!

Isn't that kinda dangerous?? I mean, I'm sure you followed the MAPO system, but no dispatch? What if you hit a bird? XD Like the one in the video a few posts back!! HAHA. How did you get that opportunity??

s8film40

Isn't that kinda dangerous?? I mean, I'm sure you followed the MAPO system, but no dispatch? What if you hit a bird? XD Like the one in the video a few posts back!! HAHA. How did you get that opportunity??

No not dangerous at all since it was the only train, and the MAPO system was pretty much irrelevant. This was a long time ago and very special circumstances and wouldn't likely happen now days. As far as birds you never stop for birds, they almost always fly off at the last minute and in the rare instances they don't they get to see what the inside of a monorail looks like.

Kamikaze

Dispatch used to be 'gone' all the time. Its one of the things that contributed to the accident.

nace888

No not dangerous at all since it was the only train, and the MAPO system was pretty much irrelevant. This was a long time ago and very special circumstances and wouldn't likely happen now days. As far as birds you never stop for birds, they almost always fly off at the last minute and in the rare instances they don't they get to see what the inside of a monorail looks like.

XD True, true, but like I said, there was a link posted a few pages back, bird wouldn't move for nothing, XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom