Monorail Expansion

mayoki

scpergj said:
Good point, but I have to wonder how much longer the speedway is going to be there. It was built for the IRL to race in it's first few years, and there were some truck races there too, if I recall correctly, but I don't believe it has been used for professional automobile racing in at least 8 years. I can't believe that the Richard Petty Driving experience is bringing in enough money to justify all of the maintenace that it takes to keep a racetrack in proper racing condition.

[Edit] I should probably say that the above is just my opinion, I have no inside information. Pure speculation...

I did the Petty Experience during one of the slowest times at WDW, and they were booked solid. They charge $300+/person at minimum then manage to get another $75-300 out of you while you're there, and there are about 20 people per group and were doing 2 groups a day.

I talked to someone who had been there since the beginning and they did say there are no plans for any races anymore because "the Disney folks" did not like the race traffic, the noise, and parking issues. They also said the IRL actually still owns the track and leases it to Petty.

2gether

Agreed

PhilharMagician said:
There is a rumor that Phase II may become POP Suites!:lookaroun

Yes, but this is not a value resort. DVC is the hottest thing Disney has going right now. It is bringing guests that would travel to WDW every few years to multiple trips per year. This means money!

If a DVC resort pops up on the Epcot monorail line well I will definately be buying more points as will a lot of people. I would foresee that it maybe the fastest selling resort if it actually happens.

I was just telling my wife yesterday that if there was ever a monorail DVC Resort, we would have to buy in at at least 60 points. Our thoughts were on the rumord Comtemporary switchover...but really apply anywhere.

Our points at Saratoga have gone up in value significantly since purchase....we have had two great trips and could sell today for $7/point more than we paid. There is no way a resort on the monorail would not sell better than that.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
2gether said:
I was just telling my wife yesterday that if there was ever a monorail DVC Resort, we would have to buy in at at least 60 points. Our thoughts were on the rumord Comtemporary switchover...but really apply anywhere.

Our points at Saratoga have gone up in value significantly since purchase....we have had two great trips and could sell today for $7/point more than we paid. There is no way a resort on the monorail would not sell better than that.
Agreed.

Scar Junior

fillerup said:
Coincidentally - there's a discussion of light rail in today's Orlando Sentinel.

Check the link, click on the map graphic on the left to see the current plan. No airport, no WDW, no Universal.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom/growth/orl-railmain1706jul17,0,6952880.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

61 miles at only $500 mil? Something is not right. The light rail running from Minneapolis to the Airport and Mall of America is 12-15 miles and costs over $700 million. The 8 mile expansion to downtown St. Paul will run around $800 million too.

Edit: This includes more than just construction of the track and trains. Planning, readjusting roads, intersections, etc.

Scar Junior

jedimaster1227 said:
It is a new road that goes from Reedy Creek to Kissimme.

I've looked on my transportation property map and I'm still having difficulty locating this. Is this slightly north of AK and (obviously) west of Epcot?

PixyDust

Herk said:
May I ask why you believe Corrus - he could be someone who has made guesses correctly - but I say he is a fake

I believe him. Go back to some old threads he's posted on and see how accurate his posts were. I have the same view as jedimaster1227 and hakunamatata.

L Fisher

Never under estimate "Disney"..They've done the unthinkable before and will keep doing it...I just wish they would put the monrail around all the resorts..

raven

Austin1 said:
I really hope this happens! Disney is really shaping up lately!

Well look who stepped down about a year ago so that could happen. :animwink: Many things in the company have taken a HUGE turn around for the better IMHO.

metman

my two cents.

when i signed for my new add on contract last year at saratoga springs resort my sells rep shontel told me when we went through the contract that disney had a term in the contract to run a monorail though the ss site now i am not saying that this will happen all i will say is she brought it to my attention as a point i must now before i signed my new add on points and she has worked on dvc for at least 10 years that i have known her.
so maybee all the points that everone has brought up might one day come true who nows

was not it Walt that said this park will always be a building platform and never a finished project.

i hope so or all of us at this board will have nothing to talk about

ps she said the fith gate was on the way plus disney, uk, germany, spain, and one in iraq.

hope you like the joke andy

jedimaster1227

metman said:
ps she said the fith gate was on the way plus disney, uk, germany, spain, and one in iraq.

hope you like the joke andy

I almost thought you were being serious when you started that! :eek:

The one in Iraq would be called: Disney's Oil Kingdom!

DisneyRoxMySox

While reading this fact I remembered a random fact about the WL...

It was designed to have a monorail, in case there was one in the future. So my question to you is..if there was a DVC built on the STOLport with a monorail, any chance of WL being connected?

goofntink

No ,the Monorail station for the DVC resort at Stolport would be built and wrapped around the existing Epcot line.Think of Grand Floridian Station or Poly Station to give you an idea of what it would be like.There would not be any monorail beams set or built to include the resort to the monorail system,would use existing layout.

The only other resorts I remember having a Monorail platform included during construction were the Swan and Dolphin,not sure about WL.

DisneyRoxMySox

goofntink said:
No ,the Monorail station for the DVC resort at Stolport would be built and wrapped around the existing Epcot line.Think of Grand Floridian Station or Poly Station to give you an idea of what it would be like.There would not be any monorail beams set or built to include the resort to the monorail system,would use existing layout.

Oh. OK, got it now. Thanks!

SIR90210

goofntink said:
The only other resorts I remember having a Monorail platform included during construction were the Swan and Dolphin,not sure about WL.

That sounds interesting. Where's that platform supposed to be?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
To note, today they were struggling to get a bulldozer through the trees under the Epcot line north of the STOLport (moreso near Wilderness Lodge) to bulldoze/digup some grassy area near a bunch of electrical boxes.

OliveMcFly

Everytime we're in WDW I hear someone asking "why didn't they build monorails all around?". I think if they did build another it should be to the Wilderness Lodge and MGM and AK. Sometimes I wonder if they could save money having monorails all around instead of busses.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DisneyGrl85 said:
Everytime we're in WDW I hear someone asking "why didn't they build monorails all around?". I think if they did build another it should be to the Wilderness Lodge and MGM and AK. Sometimes I wonder if they could save money having monorails all around instead of busses.
The #1 reason why the monorail has not been expanded ids due to it's extremely high cost. Busses are much more efficient from both a cost and operation standpoint. If a bus breaks down just send another bus if a monorail breaks down the whole line stops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom