Monorail Expansion

TimeTrip

metscool said:
If the monorail went to Downtown Disney it would take a very log time for that. Maybe as long as it takes to go from Epcot to TTC and back to Epcot to just to get the Downtown Disney area.

From where? Epcot -> DTD would more than likely be a shorter one way trip than a Epcot->TTC one way trip.

LilRoo714

TimeTrip said:
From where? Epcot -> DTD would more than likely be a shorter one way trip than a Epcot->TTC one way trip.

Either way I would certainly enjoy this monorail trip (if it were actually coming into existence) and it would free up the roads into the parks. However the issue of parking at DTD to catch the monorail would be a huge one. :veryconfu

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
LilRoo714 said:
Either way I would certainly enjoy this monorail trip (if it were actually coming into existence) and it would free up the roads into the parks. However the issue of parking at DTD to catch the monorail would be a huge one. :veryconfu
In order to do this it would be necessary to charge for parking at DTD which is something the retailers definitely don't want to happen. Parking freeloaders are also the reason you can't take a bus from DTD to or from the parks.

lewisc

There was an old rumor that Disney was going to build a second TTC as part of DTD. Guests would park in garages like Universal and would be routed through the marketplace. Light rail would be used to transport the guests to a theme park.

imagineer boy

lewisc said:
There was an old rumor that Disney was going to build a second TTC as part of DTD. Guests would park in garages like Universal and would be routed through the marketplace. Light rail would be used to transport the guests to a theme park.

You know, that's a pretty good idea. The 2nd TTC could just be for MGM and AK like how the other TTC is for both Epcot and MK. And it could be kind of like a two in one deal, guests could probably stop at DTD during their visit. That's a pretty good idea really, and I wish they'd do that.

CatLady

LilRoo714 said:

I keep wondering how far off Disney is from considering a parking deck at DTD anyhow. I mean, the parking there is really tight now, and if the PI changes (and possible future expansion of the west side around the lake past the Cirque building) were to generate much more traffic, they are going to have to start stacking cars up somewhere. The key to parking decks is to do something with them so they don't look like the ugly monsters out at Universal (theming?). They would have to start charging for parking, but I imagine they could turn around the return on investment in a relatively short time, as long as they plan the size of the deck properly so that it isn't so big that it won't pay for itself. I think that a parking structure is just a matter of time in that area, especially if they want to get more locals in to the new stuff that is going in at PI.

artvandelay

CatLady said:
I keep wondering how far off Disney is from considering a parking deck at DTD anyhow. I mean, the parking there is really tight now, and if the PI changes (and possible future expansion of the west side around the lake past the Cirque building) were to generate much more traffic, they are going to have to start stacking cars up somewhere. The key to parking decks is to do something with them so they don't look like the ugly monsters out at Universal (theming?). They would have to start charging for parking, but I imagine they could turn around the return on investment in a relatively short time, as long as they plan the size of the deck properly so that it isn't so big that it won't pay for itself. I think that a parking structure is just a matter of time in that area, especially if they want to get more locals in to the new stuff that is going in at PI.

You're right. DTD has a horrible parking lot. It is very hard to navigate, even on slow days

Tim G

artvandelay said:
You're right. DTD has a horrible parking lot. It is very hard to navigate, even on slow days
Never have any trouble parking/navigating there... You only need a touch of Magic...
103.gif

cloudboy

There's a huge lot over behind West Side. The problem is it is not practical for people planning to visit the Marketplace, so I think that gets underused.

When it comes to Downtown Disney, how much of a draw is it for people not visiting the parks? Is there a real justification about not charging for parking there? Conversely, could they make it so that you have to show a resort ID or ticket to take transportation from there?

Does it ever end?

Are we running on the theory that if we all keep talking about it long enough, it will actually happen. :D But what is this board without a ongoing Monorail expansion or Fifth gate rumor thread anyway?

NeedABreak

cloudboy said:
There's a huge lot over behind West Side. The problem is it is not practical for people planning to visit the Marketplace, so I think that gets underused.

When it comes to Downtown Disney, how much of a draw is it for people not visiting the parks? Is there a real justification about not charging for parking there? Conversely, could they make it so that you have to show a resort ID or ticket to take transportation from there?

From what I have been told its locals that keep DTD going in the off season. chargeing for parking out there would really slow down business.

I think that if another TTC were to be built another location all together would be in order. IF the plan were to connect AK and MGM then a central location between the two would be most cost effective.

If they were to do monorail expansion I would hope for buses from the hotels to run to the TTC. I have to ride the monorail to MK and EPCOT when I go but that means getting up extra early, takeing a bus to MGM, then a bus from there to the TTC, then rideing the monorail, AND I always have to get to thoes parks like 1 hour before they open because I HAVE TO be at the front for the openings. (yeah I know there is somethign wrong with me :p )

HokieDevil

Wow my first post

It would seem to me that the monorail at WDW is more or less just a novelty these days and I do not see anything in the forseeable a future in the way of expansion. The buses are the main mode of transportation and no matter how much we all would love to see a connection between all the parks and the monorails I wouldn't sugggest we hold our breath. We have better luck of getting them to bring back Toad Hall than for this rumor to come to fruition.

Unplugged

I can't believe I'm contributing to the dreaded "monorail thread", but it is fun and adictive.

Anyway, any CMs out there who know how many people a bus holds at capacity verse how many people a monorail train (6 cars isn't it?) can carry? I would think that what prevents construction is the cost verse the volume of people. The inability to re-route a monorail at busy times and the fact that the monorail infrastructure is a dedicated cost (where roads can be used by cars) don't present themselves well on the desks of the decision makers.

I too love riding the monorail and believe that it still represents a cleaner environment than the petrol-based buses. I'd love to see an expansion to encourage the new generation of little ones potential ideas for clean mass transit. But with the other strikes against it, what hope do we have? :cry:

A point on the bright side, for Imagineering to seriously consider an expansion, is that the high costs of construction of the monorail also included shipping the concrete beams from Washington (I believe that's correct). Modern concrete production allows for building the parts on-site or closer to the site as well as longer sspans reducing the number of columns (though admitedly the bases would have to be bigger). Additionally, the cost of composite production processes is down supporting less expensive or same priced monorail trains.

Perhaps an end-to-end run from Downtown (ala the West Side garage concept someone proposed) to AK with optional stops at Old Key West (south end), Caribbean Beach (near the the check-in facilities), Disney Studios, and Coronado Springs (main entry). To really max the investment, a spur or part of this run can loop near All Star resorts. Hmmm....nice but what's our bill on this so far, $8-$10 million?:veryconfu

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
So they can compromise and do a modified TTA that would allow much higher volumes, using a lighter support system. Or you could do a combination of that from Resorts to a Transportation Center then a second monorail loop from TC to AK to Epcot/MGM to DTD.

nyy102

I am pretty sure that I remember hearing once that Walt Disney, in describing his planned city that was to be EPCOT, said that he wanted people to take PeopleMovers to central hubs and from there could take monorails to major destinations (please correct me if I am wrong). In this thinking, I would like to see the monorails expanded to service both MGM and DAK, and to add monorail stations on these lines, stations that could be reached by Peoplemovers from the hotels. This would obviously be very costly and, unless the Peoplemovers' speed was increased, probably very inefficient, but since there will more than likely not be a monorail expansion, this is just my thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom