Monorail Expansion

manutdfan1

That would be retarted to have a train that connects disney to universal. That would mean a major boost in universal attendance and would help there hotels since when peeps stay there they could hop on a train to wdw. it would help disney a little bit but not as much as it would help universal. i would like to seed the other stuff but not a line that connects disney and universal, thats crazy.

Tigger1988

manutdfan1 said:
That would be retarted to have a train that connects disney to universal. That would mean a major boost in universal attendance and would help there hotels since when peeps stay there they could hop on a train to wdw. it would help disney a little bit but not as much as it would help universal. i would like to seed the other stuff but not a line that connects disney and universal, thats crazy.

....uhh who in this thread mentioned a monorail to Universal?

Hubkap

manutdfan1 said:

The light rail line is something that the city of Orlando wants more than Disney... it's actually to connect Orlando International to the major theme parks to cut down on the nightmare traffic on I-4 and other roads in the area.

And true, the airport won't be missed, but it is one of those things on property that has a neat history to it, and we Disney Geeks love the out-of-the-way trivia stuff. Shame to see that go if anything happens.

And as for Monorail expansion, let's not forget the cost of building Monorail lines... last I heard, the figure was around $1,000,000 USD per mile, in addition to the extra yearly costs involved with running extra trains. Disney would have to have a hell of a lot more in mind than just a resort hotel to build any more track.

wannab@dis

I've seen several reports that there is NOT going to be a resort at STOLPort... it's only being used as a holding area for material for work at the Conteporary. Seems like a long distance, but just another thing to think about.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The STOLport is being used for holding for both Contemporary and WL. It however is to "close" on Sept 24th, with a note that it is being handed over to WDI's project team.

tecowdw

scpergj said:
Good point, but I have to wonder how much longer the speedway is going to be there. It was built for the IRL to race in it's first few years, and there were some truck races there too, if I recall correctly, but I don't believe it has been used for professional automobile racing in at least 8 years. I can't believe that the Richard Petty Driving experience is bringing in enough money to justify all of the maintenace that it takes to keep a racetrack in proper racing condition.

[Edit] I should probably say that the above is just my opinion, I have no inside information. Pure speculation...
Yep, seems it would be better put to use as more parking than the Richard Petty Driving Experience. But, who knows.

DisneyRoxMySox

mousermerf said:
The STOLport is being used for holding for both Contemporary and WL. It however is to "close" on Sept 24th, with a note that it is being handed over to WDI's project team.

This seems like great news to me. But I thought they were holding ogg on building DVCs and hotels in general until Saratoga Springs was sold out? I guess it sold out?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We have lightrail here in Houston and I have ridden it. I can tell you that there would be a significant issue with luggage storage, etc. Now, yes, they likely would have to build trains capable of handling the number of people and luggage. I just dont see this happening. Where would the train drop people off on property? The TTC? Then, you would have to transfer the luggage from train to a specific bus to the resort. To me its a nightmare in planning and administration.

WDWScottieBoy

DisneyRoxMySox said:
This seems like great news to me. But I thought they were holding ogg on building DVCs and hotels in general until Saratoga Springs was sold out? I guess it sold out?

From the sources I've heard in WDI, there will not be another DVC hotel until Sarasota is sold out, and no, it's not sold out yet. They're already working on at least one other hotel (but I believe it's several) that will be DVC as soon as Saratoga is sold out.

DisneyRoxMySox

WDWScottieBoy said:
From the sources I've heard in WDI, there will not be another DVC hotel until Sarasota is sold out, and no, it's not sold out yet. They're already working on at least one other hotel (but I believe it's several) that will be DVC as soon as Saratoga is sold out.

Are they anticipating it? They must be, if they are building a DVC at the STOLport.

I just had an intresting idea, third water park anyone?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is this another dead end, or another hint at the `planned` resort east of World Drive?

As mentioned in other threads, this area is designated by RCID as a resort area. The masterplan involves moving World Drive north of the toll booth a couple of dozen feet west along the monorail line - possibly to make room for a station. Vista Blvd. would also be reworked, and a canal dug from Bay Lake to a lake in the new resort area. These have all been announced by the company. When it happens is anyones guess, but given the infrastructure work it wont be a 12 month job.

Scar Junior

napnet said:
Hah, my parents made me stay out side all summer... ah well these things are not going to happen. There is the REMOTE chance of a resort being built on Bay Lake where the Venetian Resort was to be, but probably not for years

He said nothing of the Bay Lake/Venitian Resort, granted... it is close to that resort's planned location, but from my understanding the Venitian was to be on the lake and this description makes it sound like it is not on the lake

EDIT: let me check my property map to make sure

imagineer99

I find another resort unlikely considering it seems that Disney has put the second half of Pop Century on hold...

Is demand really there for another resort at this time?

GarryandLindy

Original Poster
imagineer99 said:
I find another resort unlikely considering it seems that Disney has put the second half of Pop Century on hold...

Is demand really there for another resort at this time?

I foresee a high demand especially when people find out about the convenience of a monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom