Monorail Expansion

raven

I don't have time to argue anything else, in this post or others, but I do have this to say about the above: Absolutely False! Money is not only an issue, it is the bottom line. Profit, profit, PROFIT!

The truth is nobody knows for sure...unless someone on these boards claim they are a top Disney executive. :rolleyes:

Buses go completly against Disney's stand on polution. So I don't who they think they are trying to pull a fast one on.

Scar Junior

Monorails - busses = net cost of expansion

Even though I doubt it... I would be VERY impressed if someone knew statistics regarding the monthly/yearly cost of Disney busses. Wow, $1 Billion.... or even $600 Million.... or whatever the stats (for monorails are) are astounding. I think one component of this discussion is the cost of running the operations for busses (or even a bus).

I know several of you like to jump to conclusions (not going to name names), so I will specify my point and be more literal. I'm not saying that adding a (hundred + multi-million dollar) monorail (or different transportation) system will necessarily improve park profits. However........... I do think that the reduction in bus costs will not only save money on diesel/repairs, but it will make Disney transportation seem less cheap. This should at least be acknowledged because I haven't seen anyone (against the project) take this into account. I study film, TV and entertainment... not transportation or business. Thus, I am no expert to anything close to this.

I'm not ignorant. I know how unlikely an expansion is... even though I have trusted sources who claim within a decade there will be SOMETHING. I just feel that people worried about cost of expansion choos to ignore the $3.25 cost of deisel fuel that Disney busses run on.

I just think that people shouldn't attack others' comments because they are using their imaginations to explore other opportunities.

Iceviper123

If you think about it someone said earlier about it would bring more guest to a certain resort. What if you had be staying at the resort and you used your room key. That means that all resort stayers get the convience of the monerail. I know for one thing is that the monerail is the only reason that we stay at the contemp since it goes right through.Also i suprised that Paris disney has yet to get one. To me Disneyland and Tokyo Disney are the only almost perfected monerail line as far as im concerned.:cool:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Any one have any numbers on what a system like the TTA would cost?

A TTA style system could be designed with covered cars and a touch screen navigation system. Press the MK button you got to MK, press the AKL button and you to AKL. Put a loading dock at each resort stack cars in this dock and when there is an empty space in the dock the control system can send an empty to fill it. When guest capacity on the transportation system is low you don't have empty busses and empty monorail running all over property.
I don't know a tremendous amount about the TTA but it is my understanding that the propulsion system for the cars lies in the track so the probability of mechanical failure of the cars would be lower than the monorail.

WDWFREAK53

As far as the "coaster" is concerned...it really wouldn't be that far off.

Lightning is definitely an issue...but...an enclosed track wouldn't.
No dips or anything...maybe the occassional slightly banked curve...but if you used LIM technology and traveled from Epcot to MGM at 20-25mph...you could really keep the people moving. (Leave the boats to the resorts...but it would act as an express line). The trains could be really long too!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also i suprised that Paris disney has yet to get one. To me Disneyland and Tokyo Disney are the only almost perfected monerail line as far as im concerned.:cool:
Paris dosn`t need one - though it would be nice - the resort layout negates the need (plus a resort loop would take longer than walking from the Lake Disney Resorts). There is a shuttle service for those not wanting to walk, and day parking has travelators (speedramps) to and from the espalande.

Tokyo, however has several shortcomings. Have you seen the distance from the non company resorts to the nearest station?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
While I'm not a fan of monorail expansion (I'd like to see something more creative and modern), there is a big problem with a bottom line mentality at a company like Disney.

Imagine how much money Disney could save if they didn't theme the hotels. Simple, concrete buildings would be just as functional as the current resorts. Think how much money they would save and how much they would add to the bottom line.

Does Animal Kingdom need a huge tree? Couldn't they have housed "It's Tough to be a Bug" in a much smaller, less expensive theater?

What about the castle? Just a big waste, isn't it?

Disney is all about creating a fantasy world where things are better than the real world. If they did away with all the things I listed above, how much would their bottom line improve? Maybe a little, on paper short term, but long term it would take away the very product that Disney is selling which isn't amusement park rides, but a whole fantasy world.

When people think of Disney World, they don't think of an amusement park. They think of a clean, friendly, futuristic perfect world. The Monorail has been a key to creating that impression (how many brochures have you seen that feature the monorail prominently?) and if they want to continue the image that attracts people year after year, a modern transportation system would be a big step in the right direction.

brich

...unless someone on these boards claim they are a top Disney executive. :rolleyes:
Like that ever happens...:D

Buses go completly against Disney's stand on polution. So I don't who they think they are trying to pull a fast one on.
In one of the less civil threads on this topic, it was brought up that bus pollution may have less of an impact on the environment than using electric Monorails. The pollution generated by electrical stations, well, this counter point has been discussed. Just throwing that against the wall and seeing what sticks... :wave:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm guessing fuel costs have Disney execs wanting to explore transportation options. My gut feeling is that they'll continue to use the bus system, and perhaps modernize the fleet so that they run on propane, or natural gas, or something else. However, I also feel that the monorail system has far more of a "Wow!" factor than buses.

Like someone said, buses give the impression of 'cheap'. And to me, that definitely signifies something that's been going on inside Disney for years - to things "on the cheap". But, a monorail expansion is only going to be considered if it can save money in the long run. I think a line from MCO to TTC2 (or something similar) has more legs than a monorail expansion.

wannab@dis

I'm guessing fuel costs have Disney execs wanting to explore transportation options. My gut feeling is that they'll continue to use the bus system, and perhaps modernize the fleet so that they run on propane, or natural gas, or something else. However, I also feel that the monorail system has far more of a "Wow!" factor than buses.

Like someone said, buses give the impression of 'cheap'. And to me, that definitely signifies something that's been going on inside Disney for years - to things "on the cheap". But, a monorail expansion is only going to be considered if it can save money in the long run. I think a line from MCO to TTC2 (or something similar) has more legs than a monorail expansion.
Busses have been used for years... it's not a sign of things being done "on the cheap" -- it's a sign of being fiscally responsible so they can build more than a single transportation system. The monorails use electricity and that also has to be generated. I would love to see a "cost per passenger" that includes fuel/energy, operating & maintenance costs, and budget for improvements. I honestly don't know how that would come out. If it's MUCH cheaper to run monorails, then the capital investment may pay off in the long run, but if not, then it would have be returned by guest spending. I'm not sure you can tie extra guest spending to simply having more monorails.

All that said, it would be great to see monorails utilized throughout WDW, but not if it's going mean a tradeoff of park improvements and additions for several years. I'd much rather see them look into alternative fuels like BioDiesal, hybrids, etc. A new design wouldn't hurt either. :lol:

Glasgow

While I'm not a fan of monorail expansion (I'd like to see something more creative and modern), there is a big problem with a bottom line mentality at a company like Disney.

Imagine how much money Disney could save if they didn't theme the hotels. Simple, concrete buildings would be just as functional as the current resorts. Think how much money they would save and how much they would add to the bottom line.

Does Animal Kingdom need a huge tree? Couldn't they have housed "It's Tough to be a Bug" in a much smaller, less expensive theater?

What about the castle? Just a big waste, isn't it?

Disney is all about creating a fantasy world where things are better than the real world. If they did away with all the things I listed above, how much would their bottom line improve? Maybe a little, on paper short term, but long term it would take away the very product that Disney is selling which isn't amusement park rides, but a whole fantasy world.

When people think of Disney World, they don't think of an amusement park. They think of a clean, friendly, futuristic perfect world. The Monorail has been a key to creating that impression (how many brochures have you seen that feature the monorail prominently?) and if they want to continue the image that attracts people year after year, a modern transportation system would be a big step in the right direction.

Very well said Gary. It's the eternal struggle at Disney : pixie dust vs. profit

8<:-)

The monorail system just feels 'incomplete'.

Why not expand it slowly over many years to just finish connecting the parks.
Of course it would never have the capacity of the busses so they must stay at least until they imagineer something else if ever.

I'm sure the monorail isn't even on the 'to-do' list. We look at the monorail as an attraction outside the parks. We always get excited when we see one while driving through the resort, it's just kinda magical/nostalgic.

-thedisneycast

RSoxNo1

Just because the monorails are on disney property doesn't mean that they run on magic. I'm guessing that the electricity required to move a monorail exceeds the cost to run busses. Even with the increased price of fossil fuels (gasoline, oil, even ethanol) The busses are cheaper to maintain than the monorails. They're not keeping the busses for their aesthetic beauty.

Whoever mentioned that the busses damage the environment are obviously correct, but do we know what type of energy source Disney uses for the monorails? What type of power plant they're tapped into?

If anything, I'm guessing that as hybrid technology increases that Disney may replace their current busses with hybrid counterparts.

I don't think a pay service for on site transportation will benefit disney at all - it will mean more parking lots, and less people staying on property. The busses will be staying for now and the immediate future. I really don't see a reason for them to expand the monorail system, when that money can be better suited to improve the parks.

wannab@dis

Did I read that correctly? $2.9 million for one bus?
No, it appears the $2.9M is for one bus AND the needed infrastructure to fuel that bus with hydrogen.

One of the biggest problems with alternative fuels has been the ability to offer fueling locations. Until most of the "gas" stations in the country offer alternative fueling capabilities, then alternative fuel vehicles are at a dis-advantage.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
No, it appears the $2.9M is for one bus AND the needed infrastructure to fuel that bus with hydrogen.

One of the biggest problems with alternative fuels has been the ability to offer fueling locations. Until most of the "gas" stations in the country offer alternative fueling capabilities, then alternative fuel vehicles are at a dis-advantage.

Oh......so, how much of that 2.9 is for the bus, I wonder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom