Monorail Expansion

BrittanyRose428

I dont know if this will sound stupid or not, but when I was in Disney in August, I noticed some monorail tracks that looked like they werent finished. I dont know what that was about though.

WDWFREAK53

I dont know if this will sound stupid or not, but when I was in Disney in August, I noticed some monorail tracks that looked like they werent finished. I dont know what that was about though.

That was the switch track area that leads to the "garage."

The track actually "pivots" to join to that other track so the monorail can get to the storage/maintenance bays.

Mr.EPCOT

Like that ever happens...:D

In one of the less civil threads on this topic, it was brought up that bus pollution may have less of an impact on the environment than using electric Monorails. The pollution generated by electrical stations, well, this counter point has been discussed. Just throwing that against the wall and seeing what sticks... :wave:

I remember that same thread, too. I remember that someone came up with proof or an argument that proved the electrical stations weren't big polluters.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Oh......so, how much of that 2.9 is for the bus, I wonder.

The prices are still up there, but they're dropping, and Disney World could probably work a deal with Toyota ( http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environment/fchv/fchv08.html )or somebody that would allow them to share some of the cost in exchange for some marketing.

Also, if you noticed in the article, Hartford is getting 2.9 million dollars in grant money. Why shouldn't Disney World be eligible for grant money for something like this? I'd expect they could provide more real data on how it works than the city of Hartford.

They also would have the advantage of being able to set up one fueling station to service all the property. I suggested in a previous post that they could generate hydrogen from garbage and use the generating station to teach others what does and doesn't work and also use it as an EPCOT attraction.

They could hold energy conferences and become a real leader in the field. That would start to make them a true Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. And even if it costs them more to run than they bring in from direct revenue, how can you quantify the marketing value of something like that?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The prices are still up there, but they're dropping, and Disney World could probably work a deal with Toyota ( http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environment/fchv/fchv08.html )or somebody that would allow them to share some of the cost in exchange for some marketing.

Also, if you noticed in the article, Hartford is getting 2.9 million dollars in grant money. Why shouldn't Disney World be eligible for grant money for something like this? I'd expect they could provide more real data on how it works than the city of Hartford.

They also would have the advantage of being able to set up one fueling station to service all the property. I suggested in a previous post that they could generate hydrogen from garbage and make it and use it for education as well as an EPCOT attraction.

I totally agree.

DisneyRoxMySox

They also would have the advantage of being able to set up one fueling station to service all the property. I suggested in a previous post that they could generate hydrogen from garbage and use it for education as well as an EPCOT attraction.

That is quite an excellent idea. I like it. :D

raven

I still like Walt's original idea of the Wedway around the property. Maybe that would be a better solution and you wouldn't have to wait for a train to come because there would always be one available.

MichRX7

Premium Member

They also would have the advantage of being able to set up one fueling station to service all the property. I suggested in a previous post that they could generate hydrogen from garbage and use the generating station to teach others what does and doesn't work and also use it as an EPCOT attraction.

They could hold energy conferences and become a real leader in the field. That would start to make them a true Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. And even if it costs them more to run than they bring in from direct revenue, how can you quantify the marketing value of something like that?

Wow, if I had a nickle for every time I've told these ideas to others...

Especially the one's about EPCOT. I've always wondered who at Disney would discuss having a "cleantech" area in EPCOT where they would showcase cutting-edge venture-grade clean technology companies. I even know where they would find these companies...

http://cleantech.com/

(yeah, ok I work there...)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
http://cleantech.com/

(yeah, ok I work there...)

Cool!

On a somewhat tangential note: I've been to trade shows (the Consumer Electronics Show jumps to mind) at which companies have spent huge amounts of money to show their latest, greatest technology.

I have to believe that if Innoventions was managed a little more agressively, they could get companies like Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Honda etc. to pay for the priveledge of showing us much more spectacular displays of their latest technology than the weak showing we currently get at Innoventions.

I'd like to see somebody make an effort to make EPCOT THE place for companies to unveil/display/demonstrate their latest technologies.

PhilharMagician

Where are thes numbers coming from? I am seeing anywhere from 600 million to 1 billion. Wow these are extrodinary numbers. It almost sounds like Disney is going to do the big dig in central FL. :brick: At the original cost of 1 million per mile back in 1971 I can't beleive the cost would be more than 3x today.

Please explain.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Where are thes numbers coming from? I am seeing anywhere from 600 million to 1 billion. Wow these are extrodinary numbers. It almost sounds like Disney is going to do the big dig in central FL. :brick: At the original cost of 1 million per mile back in 1971 I can't beleive the cost would be more than 3x today.

Please explain.

Brian's post here gave some pretty good real info., numbers, analysis based on the Las Vegas project and some expert's comments:

I hate when there's a dead horse...and people keep on beating it...

BUT...

I did just find this...and it seems like everybody's vision of a monorail expansion costing $100 million/mile is a little off.

Bombadier would charge that...but in this article you'll read that there's a company out in Hawaii that would do it for a fraction of that price (Granted, this is talking about the Vegas monorail, but...considering that it's pretty much the same system, it's probably not far off from the WDW one.)

http://www.austinmonorail.org/monorail_costs.htm

wannab@dis

Please explain.
Is that "1 million per mile in 71" an actual fact? Seems hard to believe or it may not include the TTC, maintenance areas, equipment or the actual monorails... just the track.

Anyway... adjusted only for inflation, it's $5M. Doesn't include all the messed up unions, labor costs or red tape that now associates large projects.

wannab@dis

Good idea, Gary. I've always wondered why they didn't have a quicker turn-a-round and better product placement in Innoventions. Maybe the target just isn't right? :veryconfu

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Gary you are really showing how smart and creative you are and it is scaring me.

Could we please go back to the old Gary that will photoshop an image of his wife hugging a tree and then produce one of her clubbing baby seals?:lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Gary you are really showing how smart and creative you are and it is scaring me.

Could we please go back to the old Gary that will photoshop an image of his wife hugging a tree and then produce one of her clubbing baby seals?:lol:

Two more months until my next trip.;)

Unfortunately Linda won't be able to make it, but we were just seriously discussing he possibility of photoshopping her into all the photos.:lol:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Good idea, Gary. I've always wondered why they didn't have a quicker turn-a-round and better product placement in Innoventions. Maybe the target just isn't right? :veryconfu

I'm a little afraid it may have something to do with contracts and exlusives. For example, I'd love to see the Ford Reflex concept car there, but would GM allow that?

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_ford_reflex_concept/

Disney may also be asking too much from displayers for what they have now. If they cut back what they charged, maybe they could energize things, get things going and then raise the prices again once it's the happening place.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is that "1 million per mile in 71" an actual fact? Seems hard to believe or it may not include the TTC, maintenance areas, equipment or the actual monorails... just the track.

Anyway... adjusted only for inflation, it's $5M. Doesn't include all the messed up unions, labor costs or red tape that now associates large projects.
Unfortunately when it comes to construction materials standard inflation numbers go out the window in a big way. Not only to labor rate rise at a rate much higher than inflation as you suggested but cost of building materials can skyrocket to insane level. In the last 5 years the cost of lumber has more than doubled and in some cases steel and concrete have tripled or quadrupled. When you look at a 35 year time span the $50,000,000 per mile starts to seem possible. Also supply had dropped on both steel and concrete so less common forms of concrete, such as the super high strength concrete used for monorail rails simply aren't made.

If Disney was to due a full blown expansion of the monorail track to all resorts and parks they would more than likely need to set up a temporary or permanent concrete manufacturing plant as well as a forming shop.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Two more months until my next trip.;)

Unfortunately Linda won't be able to make it, but we were just seriously discussing he possibility of photoshopping her into all the photos.:lol:
I would expect nothing less. My daughter Zoie looks to be about the same size as your wife so you are welcome to borrow her to act as a stand in. She has an AP and doesn't eat much plus she has a father that psychologically abuses her on a regular basis so she should fit right in. :D

wannab@dis

I'm a little afraid it may have something to do with contracts and exlusives. For example, I'd love to see the Ford Reflex concept car there, but would GM allow that?

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0601_ford_reflex_concept/

Disney may also be asking too much from displayers for what they have now. If they cut back what they charged, maybe they could energize things, get things going and then raise the prices again once it's the happening place.
True... it could be contractual issues, but I would have expected their contracts concerning sponsorships to have ROFR with respect to Innoventions. They may refuse a competitor, but they would need to pony up the money lost in the venture and include their own products.

If Disney didn't include refusals... they were nuts. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom