Monorail expansion

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wow...some people need thicker skin if a conversation about monorails causes so much grief in their lives.

Disneyana Jones

Out of further interest about when, if or ever an expansion could happen I asked a friend about it who would have a better idea since he has worked at WDW for 30 years. He said there were plans to run a monorail to Disney Village back in the day. Buried in the ground right now running along a stretch of Buena Vista Drive are power units that go under the tracks for the Monorail that were installed at the time but the track never put up. Plans were to run it from EPCOT but it was delayed. The Swan and Dolphin were developed with a land confrontation against Disney by the developer which allowed them to build almost anywhere and the location next to EPCOT was chosen and that halted plans to extend the Monorail to Disney Village permanently. He said there are no current plans to expand the system although he had seen renderings of expansion concepts.
He also relayed a story about Walt E. Disney purchasing land in the 1960's that followed the Bee Line Expressway and would have gone to a beach resort owned by Disney. The plans fell through and the land was sold. Oh well.

Out of further interest about when, if or ever an expansion could happen I asked a friend about it who would have a better idea since he has worked at WDW for 30 years. He said there were plans to run a monorail to Disney Village back in the day. Buried in the ground right now running along a stretch of Buena Vista Drive are power units that go under the tracks for the Monorail that were installed at the time but the track never put up. Plans were to run it from EPCOT but it was delayed. The Swan and Dolphin were developed with a land confrontation against Disney by the developer which allowed them to build almost anywhere and the location next to EPCOT was chosen and that halted plans to extend the Monorail to Disney Village permanently. He said there are no current plans to expand the system although he had seen renderings of expansion concepts.
He also relayed a story about Walt E. Disney purchasing land in the 1960's that followed the Bee Line Expressway and would have gone to a beach resort owned by Disney. The plans fell through and the land was sold. Oh well.

Cool, thanks for the story.

devoy1701

Wow...some people need thicker skin if a conversation about monorails causes so much grief in their lives.

Sorry to say but some people need more to do in their lives if the monorail at WDW gets them all whipped up. LOL. I look around and there is all sorts of new building, rebuilding etc going at WDW I don't see what some of you want? Even Walt use to say we need to figure out the money. This stuff isn't built to lose money, it can't or it will not survive. I would like personal pods like in Logan's run but it simply isn't going to happen. Those who don't know Logan's Run rent it and check out the transportation system.

Agreed. and geez...give us a break. It's a slow month. There is tons of news that we are waiting to be announced but they aren't giving us anything at the moment. If a monorail thread is all that seems interesting and we can do a little armchair imagineering and have some logical debate, so be it. I don't get why people decide to post on threads when all they have to say is "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THIS"

I thought that Eisner worked with the developers to establish this plot. I don't see how the developers could build almost anywhere or that Disney was upset with the location they picked since afterall it is a land lease that those hotels sit on. The land is still owned by Disney so I assume that they had say in where the hotels went before the lease terms were completed.

WDW Monorail

The S&D wouldn't be much of a problem. They'd just have the line pass right through the buildings. :wave:

:rolleyes:

Timon

Something of related interest with some mind blowing numbers.

According to Bloomberg.com, Bombardier (Builder of WDW's MVI's) has been awarded a contract to build in San Paulo, Brazil a 14.9 mile automated monorail with 17 stations, 54 seven-car trains (378 cars!) which will move 40,000 people an hour.

Bombardier is getting $816 million of the $1.44 billion project. They say they will be using their INNOVIA Monorail 300 which is the re-badged and upgraded version of the Las Vegas MKVI.

Renderings show double side doors and a window configuration which could indicate a major chassis/wheel change plus a coupling device. Time will tell.

picture.php

Dag gum that's cool!

Pete C

What are those elevated tram systems they use at airports? They have a brand new one in Atlanta that goes between the new parking deck and the terminal. It runs between metal rails that look almost like a coaster track, it accelerates quickly and moves fast. Is this less expensive than a monorail system? If not, I don't see why they could not use something like this.

Anyway, my personal wish is for an Epcot resort area terminal that would serve all of those resorts to link them to the Magic Kingdom and the other resorts. They already have all that track going to Epcot, it would seem not that difficult to have an extension over to that area. The benefit would be huge for resort guests on both sides...I'm sure MK resort guests would love to take the monorail to the Boardwalk. DHS would also seem like an easy addition from there. The rest of the resort is too spread out to be feasible.

Timon

What are those elevated tram systems they use at airports? They have a brand new one in Atlanta that goes between the new parking deck and the terminal. It runs between metal rails that look almost like a coaster track, it accelerates quickly and moves fast. Is this less expensive than a monorail system? If not, I don't see why they could not use something like this.

Mitsubishi Crystal Peoplemover - Atlanta, Bombardier INNOVIA Peoplemover - Orlando

A 11.8 mile expantion of our Skytrain system in Vancouver was just completed in time for the 2010 Winter Olympics. It has 16 stations and cost 1.9 Billion dollars to biuld. Our system is a little larger than the one in Orlando, but even given that 100 million per mile is about the right figure for rough estimating. I know that our system is seeing over 100000 trips per day and it has cut down on the number of cars on the road but to justify that type of money for a private company a don't see it ever happening. Our system was built with money from the Federal, Provincial and local governments to get it done. I love taking the monorail when in Disney World but I don't think that in my lifetime I will ever see any new lines being built. I hope I am wrong

devoy1701

A 11.8 mile expantion of our Skytrain system in Vancouver was just completed in time for the 2010 Winter Olympics. It has 16 stations and cost 1.9 Billion dollars to biuld. Our system is a little larger than the one in Orlando, but even given that 100 million per mile is about the right figure for rough estimating. I know that our system is seeing over 100000 trips per day and it has cut down on the number of cars on the road but to justify that type of money for a private company a don't see it ever happening. Our system was built with money from the Federal, Provincial and local governments to get it done. I love taking the monorail when in Disney World but I don't think that in my lifetime I will ever see any new lines being built. I hope I am wrong

Thanks for the info! Between what you and Timon posted about the projects in both Vancouver and Sao Paolo, both projects ran about $100M per mile...and both are in different countries and different climates (both physically and governmental). So it seems like that figure is an accurate estimation for the WDW project.

Timon

FYI: It appears Disney has broken ground this week on the Epcot Spur for the service tractor. The site is on the Epcot Line switch adjacent to World Dr. When I drove by (Wednesday) it looks like a whole lot of digging for relocating any utilities. No hole big enough for foundations or pile drivers yet.

They are digging where the yellow line is:
picture.php

Timon

Not going to happen, unless some credible plans leak out.
Really? I hope you talking about a large Monorail project because here are photos of the Epcot Spur construction taken by WDWSteamDreamer. These show the foundations for the beam and probably some sort of catwalk to board the tractor.

picture.php

picture.php

ABigBrassBand

Something of related interest with some mind blowing numbers.

According to Bloomberg.com, Bombardier (Builder of WDW's MVI's) has been awarded a contract to build in San Paulo, Brazil a 14.9 mile automated monorail with 17 stations, 54 seven-car trains (378 cars!) which will move 40,000 people an hour.

Bombardier is getting $816 million of the $1.44 billion project. They say they will be using their INNOVIA Monorail 300 which is the re-badged and upgraded version of the Las Vegas MKVI.

Renderings show double side doors and a window configuration which could indicate a major chassis/wheel change plus a coupling device. Time will tell.

picture.php

Dag gum that's cool!
SaO Paulo, Brazil :wave:

Man, now I wish I lived back there--that looks amazing :eek:!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom