Monorail expansion

jakeman

They say it's not gonna happen. They say it's too expensive.

Is it really more expensive than roads and buses?

Or do Oil and Auto lobbyist get involved when ever there is talk of expansion?
:ROFLOL:

Oil and Auto lobbyist caring about a theme park monorail system...

:ROFLOL:

trr1

Hey I was browsing the web and thought of a great idea; expand the monorail so it connects all 4 parks, DTD and other resorts. So I googled it to see if anything came up and according to monorails.org, WDW is planning on making a new addition to the track. A new switch and spur line will be added in the area by the TTC. This will allow a maintenance vehicle to be kept in a central location, as well as an additional train that could be put into service if another train needs maintenance or if guest traffic increases.

So my question is what does everybody think of this? Do you think this will make the monorail system more organized and run smoothly? What about expanding the system so it connects the entire WDW?
:shrug:

This rumor has been around for forever and a day. Not gonna happen.
here is a link from july
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=610673&page=10
and one from the daily sentinal
http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/07/disney-world-plans-small-monorail-expansion/

Monorail Lime

Side note: the article also stated that a certain resort has a monorail right-of-way clause in their DVC agreement, in the event that a monorail was ever built through the property.
It means nothing. DVC is legally required to make SSR owners aware of the monorail easement even though it has been on maps since the Disney Village era and will never be used.

Monorail_Orange

It means nothing. DVC is legally required to make SSR owners aware of the monorail easement even though it has been on maps since the Disney Village era and will never be used.

Never say never. IF the price of diesel fuel suddenly shot up to say $15 or $20 per gallon wholesale, TDO (or more likely Burbank) might begin to look much harder at a monorail expansion to get away from the buses. (And yes, I know there's a biodiesel retort to this, but if traditional diesel went up that high, biodiesel wouldn't be far behind, supply and demand and all that.)

Mind you, not saying this is likely...more like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells liked to say, "Improbable, yes. Impossible, no." :cool:

pketelaar01

It would be much, much more than $10 million a mile. Probably closer to $100m/mi than $10.

What are these numbers based on? Did you know that you can buy a Boeing 737-800 for approx $80 Million? Styrofoam, concrete and the molds to make them aren't that expensive when you compare to a modern airliner. $10 million more like it, but even then, 99% of the engineering work is done, just need to manufacture and install.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You are all wrong...it will cost 5 bazillion per mile. According to the latest Gallop poll, a bazillion is a million gazillions.

WDITrent

What are these numbers based on? Did you know that you can buy a Boeing 737-800 for approx $80 Million? Styrofoam, concrete and the molds to make them aren't that expensive when you compare to a modern airliner. $10 million more like it, but even then, 99% of the engineering work is done, just need to manufacture and install.
It's not all concrete molds. Ever seen the "Danger: High Voltage" warnings on the beams? They carry power for the monorails to run on.

raven

...according to monorails.org, WDW is planning on making a new addition to the track. A new switch and spur line will be added in the area by the TTC. This will allow a maintenance vehicle to be kept in a central location, as well as an additional train that could be put into service if another train needs maintenance or if guest traffic increases.

I happen to know for a fact that an expansion of the monorail was looked at and I've seen the artwork and route. The spur wasn't at the TTC but at Epcot. There would've been 2 more lines off of the station, one a shuttle-type line to DTD and back and the other to DHS, DAK and incorporating WWoS. It was simply looked at but tabled I'm afraid.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Look at other monorail projects around the country most notably the one in Las Vegas (the track is nearly identical to the ones used in WDW). A 2.3 mile extension that included 3 stations was planned to start construction in 2005 had a price tag of over 400 million dollars.

harryk

Monorail expansion!! As much chance as the idea of them connecting all the parks by water which was talked about around 15 years ago. They could not even construct a draw bridge from the MK to Grand Flo to have the 'walk around the world' (i.e. 7 Seas Lagoon) concept completed. -- but they sold a lot of bricks for it......

bjlc57

Look at other monorail projects around the country most notably the one in Las Vegas (the track is nearly identical to the ones used in WDW). A 2.3 mile extension that included 3 stations was planned to start construction in 2005 had a price tag of over 400 million dollars.

But.. this is starting from scratch.. meaning there is no previous monorail to build on to..

all WDW would be doing is adding track.. not start up costs.. which are the most expensive..

I just can see why "concrete" would be so expensive.. since its in every overhead on every interstate highway through out the country..

meaning if it was so cost ineffective.. why are we using it to this day..

the same with the wiring.. all you are doing is adding more "wire".. you are not bringing the whole electrical system.. you are adding to it..

I just find the "numbers" used here to be inconsistant due to its an add on and not a start up situation..

plus I understand the "footings " are already in place throughout various areas of the parks.. meaning you need to add the high rise poles.. and then the track.. but the footing for into the ground have been in place for many years..

bjlc57

also,, right now the costs of building are as low as they are going to get.. no one is building anything.. labor costs are low.. building supply costs are low.. interest rates are at a record low..

now is the time to build.. WDW could bring in a ton of out of work guys, maybe get a federal grant,, for putting people to work, and have this done in no time..

maybe they would even get a grant because its still transportation...

all I am saying is ,now is the time to move on this.. right before the economy takes off..
put people to work.. make them tax payers instead of tax takers.. stimulate the economy,,,

and watch the ripple effect come back and help the parks in the future..

make people into buyers instead of ebay sellers..

all of which is positive for all of us..

devoy1701

But.. this is starting from scratch.. meaning there is no previous monorail to build on to..

all WDW would be doing is adding track.. not start up costs.. which are the most expensive..

I just can see why "concrete" would be so expensive.. since its in every overhead on every interstate highway through out the country..

the same with the wiring.. all you are doing is adding more "wire".. you are not bringing the whole electrical system.. you are adding to it..

I just find the "numbers" used here to be inconsistant due to its an add on and not a start up situation..

plus I understand the "footings " are already in place throughout various areas of the parks.. meaning you need to add the high rise poles.. and then the track.. but the footing for into the ground have been in place for many years..

concrete is still pretty expensive. I wasn't expecting having to pay $2000 for a 9x18 patio added to my backyard.

And you would have to add much new infrastructure. You can't just simply double the length of the existing monorail system and continue to use the same system as is. It's not just adding wires and track, but gov't permits, surveying, permitting, inspections, building new stations, new spur lines, larger support facilities, labor labor labor labor, etc.

And even though no one is building and you would think people would be screaming for work, it really doesn't seem to be the case. I know that I am in a completely different catagory, but when I was putting a patio enclosure in my backyard a couple months ago, I made 10 calls, of those 10, 6 called me back. Of those 6, 4 came to do quotes, of those 4, 2 gave me a quote. WTH?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

No they weren't. They were adding to an existing system.

There are also several other errors in your reasoning.

Not all concrete is the same. The are many different grades of concrete some of which cost considerably more than the others. You can buy a car for $500 but you can also spend well over a million on one as well. You are also neglecting to factor in the structural steel and the insane amount of labor that goes into making a monorail beam. The lumber for a $150,000 house might only be $5000 but it still doesn't change the fact that all of the other things that went into building the house added up to $150k.

I have no idea how many existing footings there are but I would wager that the number is quite small. They would have to have a considerable number of them done to really account for any savings on a project of this magnitude. Back to the house analogy...just because the driveway is already done will not make a new home drastically cheaper.

Regarding the numbers....If you don't like the ones that I have found find some that disprove it.

The Empress Lilly

A coherent master plan for WDW has been wanting ever since the mid-80s.

WDW's transport system will not be a smooth, semi-futuristic one. It will be one based on tarmac, parking lots, and diesel fumes.

Not without a complete overhaul of the property will this change. That is, it is not going to happen.

Shame, WDW deserved a 'magical', otherworldy means of transport. Even if expensive and slightly impractical, it would've added to the magic and escapism of it all.

DocMcHulk

I happen to know for a fact that an expansion of the monorail was looked at and I've seen the artwork and route. The spur wasn't at the TTC but at Epcot. There would've been 2 more lines off of the station, one a shuttle-type line to DTD and back and the other to DHS, DAK and incorporating WWoS. It was simply looked at but tabled I'm afraid.

Do you happen to know if there is a basic diagram anywhere as to the routes of where monorail expansion WOULD go if they ever do it? I've seen bits and pieces posted on here, but I cant find them now.

EDIT: I thought this was a rather nice diagram by Martin. It's his version of a possible monorail expansion (dated 2007)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom