Monorail expansion

s8film40

Heres a quick rough idea of how I would do this.
sjxdq.jpg

A few other things I would do is upgrade the entire system like the Las Vegas system completely automated.

The existing trains could be completely redone. I would take the twelve six car trains(72 cars) and make 18 four car trains and then add a few more trains to that. probably about 22 - 25 total.

Tom

Beta Return

A few other things I would do is upgrade the entire system like the Las Vegas system completely automated.

The existing trains could be completely redone. I would take the twelve six car trains(72 cars) and make 18 four car trains and then add a few more trains to that. probably about 22 - 25 total.

Can I request a larger image please? :lol: j/k

Apparently you've put a bit of thought into this, eh? Nice drawing, btw.

Per my post above, loops make the trips long. However, if the system were automated, it could be possible. They would also need to make their track blocks smaller, so that trains could advance sooner. Sometimes you spend more time waiting for "further traffic clearance" than you spend riding the train. That would have to be remedied.

And they'd have to keep the system moving, like a subway. Bring a train in, unload, load, and get it the hell out of the station. None of this dilly-dallying that they have now. It amazes me that hundreds of thousands of people can ride a subway every single day (including new people, like when I visited Chicago and DC for the first times) - but people can't seem to get on and off a monorail in less than 30-seconds. Sure, you have strollers and wheelchairs and significantly more children, but still. 2:00+ for a stop is insane.

I'm still guessing that buses are the wave of WDW's future. Just a few adjustments to the dispatch system (like, for example, using it) and it would be a beautiful thing.

s8film40

Can I request a larger image please? :lol: j/k

Apparently you've put a bit of thought into this, eh? Nice drawing, btw.

Per my post above, loops make the trips long. However, if the system were automated, it could be possible. They would also need to make their track blocks smaller, so that trains could advance sooner. Sometimes you spend more time waiting for "further traffic clearance" than you spend riding the train. That would have to be remedied.

And they'd have to keep the system moving, like a subway. Bring a train in, unload, load, and get it the hell out of the station. None of this dilly-dallying that they have now. It amazes me that hundreds of thousands of people can ride a subway every single day (including new people, like when I visited Chicago and DC for the first times) - but people can't seem to get on and off a monorail in less than 30-seconds. Sure, you have strollers and wheelchairs and significantly more children, but still. 2:00+ for a stop is insane.

I'm still guessing that buses are the wave of WDW's future. Just a few adjustments to the dispatch system (like, for example, using it) and it would be a beautiful thing.

Yes I agree to me the EPCOT and Studios stations could be loaded for either direction northbound or southbound. The current system is designed for volume not frequency this is the reason for the holding for clearance, their trying to load 350 people into one train while thousands wait in line. Four car trains can come and go quickly and at peak time be coupled together to form eight car trains. Also theres no reason why trains can't go 50MPH to 60MPH on the straightaways.

flavious27

sjxdq.jpg

This is a good design, but it will needs to have spurs to better move people around faster. If there is a problem with a train being stuck or taking longer than normal to load and unload, the one main line will back up the whole park. A new TTC center near epcot would would be the most centralized location

Tom

Beta Return

Also just noticed your parking garage. That would be the world's largest parking garage if it were really that big. I think you got carried away with the blue marker ;)

Besides, it would need to stay contained to the east side of the canal - strictly behind pirates.

SeaCastle

Nice idea for an expansion, s8film40. The only suggestion I'd have would be to build a new parking garage on an area that was already used as a parking lot, and then building another story on top of it to save space (rather than building over wetlands). Also, perhaps the guests of a resort built on the Venetian/Mediterranean plot could use the TTC monorail station, but I'm just spitballing.

It's a neat design.. Some critiques from someone who is a rail buff..

1- The DTD loop isn't very necessary.. The buses do their jobs pretty well for that location.

2- A central hub monorail transit center is completely necessary with that sort of design.. Along with a line that would go from a central hub to AK considering distance and block signal usage. Running longer trains doesn't always help during peak times.. You will just want more trains.. It's how commuter rail works.

---

Overall I think you've got the idea though.. It's def a great start to an idea.

2csffhh.jpg

just a quick photoshop.. shows a central hub..

obviously there are other logistical issues.. like monorail storage which could easily be addressed by switches..

Tom

Beta Return
just a quick photoshop.. shows a central hub..

obviously there are other logistical issues.. like monorail storage which could easily be addressed by switches..

Now you run into the "transfer" impact. If someone is at MK and they want to go to AK, they have to transfer twice. That's very discouraging to hear if you're asking for directions.

With a bus, you go from MK to AK.

I can't believe I'm actually arguing FOR their bus system :lol:

Now you run into the "transfer" impact. If someone is at MK and they want to go to AK, they have to transfer twice. That's very discouraging to hear if you're asking for directions.

Which is partially why expansion isn't very feasible..

Rob562

I still think Walt's original mainline-monorail-plus-Peoplemovers plan is one of the best ideas for the Florida property:

A single major line that goes through the middle of the property with a hub at each park (perhaps with some kind of bypass tracks built in so that a disabled train doesn't bring the system to a standstill).
Then from each hub you have Peoplemover lines emanating out to the resorts, a mix of straight lines and loops, depending on the situation.

This way, park-to-park travel involves just the high-speed monorail line. Resort-to-park requires a single transfer from their local Peoplemover line to the monorail (unless they're heading to the park that acts as their local hub).
The only double-transfer situation would be going from one resort to another if they're not at the same hub. (And that's already a problem anyway...)

-Rob

DisneyWall-E

I don't really know why I think this but I would probably be happier standing on a longer Monorail trip vs. waiting in line to stand up on a bus. Also congrats to s8film40, I really like your idea of an expansion to the system. Its the most simplistic and easiest to understand which I think would help people to utilize it with little to no confusion. No need to add a line to DTD just make a bus rout to it from the EPCOT Center station.

lazyboy97o

It sucks, but the bus system has a LOT of advantages. I think people would feel a lot less animosity to the system if Disney really flexed these advantages and gave the bus system a classy, unique look (not that 1990s clown vomit, poor use of bright "cheery" colors motif that has come to define so much of Walt Disney World).

niteobsrvr

Actually from MK, you go Monorail or Ferryboat to TTC to Bus to AK.

You still have a transfer.

flavious27

It sucks, but the bus system has a LOT of advantages. I think people would feel a lot less animosity to the system if Disney really flexed these advantages and gave the bus system a classy, unique look (not that 1990s clown vomit, poor use of bright "cheery" colors motif that has come to define so much of Walt Disney World).

I would like the bus system to use vehicles that are low or zero emissions.

niteobsrvr

I would like the bus system to use vehicles that are low or zero emissions.

The newest busses cut emissions substantially.

Unfortunately, todays commercially available alternative fuel busses end up being considerably more expensive to operate in the DIsney environment than Diesal. They also come with their own share of other environmental issues that no one has found a decent solution for yet.

I know there are some of you who will point out examples of successful systems but that is because the people behind those systems want you to see it that way. Go ask someone who has worked with a hydrogen refueling station how much fun it is when the leak detectors say therere is a problem and a city block gets to be evacuated until the problem has been resolved.

Nope, we aren't quite there yet folks. Technology has come along way but for each advance there are new issues that need solutions.

flavious27

The newest busses cut emissions substantially.

Unfortunately, todays commercially available alternative fuel busses end up being considerably more expensive to operate in the DIsney environment than Diesal. They also come with their own share of other environmental issues that no one has found a decent solution for yet.

I know there are some of you who will point out examples of successful systems but that is because the people behind those systems want you to see it that way. Go ask someone who has worked with a hydrogen refueling station how much fun it is when the leak detectors say therere is a problem and a city block gets to be evacuated until the problem has been resolved.

Nope, we aren't quite there yet folks. Technology has come along way but for each advance there are new issues that need solutions.

What about the buses use hybrid technology?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom