Monorail Expansion?

dmspilot00

Just because only 56 people posted a reply means absolutely nothing. It only means 56 people had something to say and felt compelled to take the time to write it and post it. This is not a "reply here if you like monorails" thread. If you want to know how many people are interested in this thread, you would study the number of people who have read it, not written to it. Unfortunately it appears that this particular message board does not display this data. (Actually I just realized it did--6,860. But who knows how accurate it is.)

You could compare the figure with how many people regularly post messages...say, those who have a post count of at least 5 per day. That would be more realistic.

bamboo7

Originally posted by dmspilot00
Just because only 56 people posted a reply means absolutely nothing. It only means 56 people had something to say and felt compelled to take the time to write it and post it. This is not a "reply here if you like monorails" thread. If you want to know how many people are interested in this thread, you would study the number of people who have read it, not written to it. Unfortunately it appears that this particular message board does not display this data. (Actually I just realized it did--6,860. But who knows how accurate it is.)

You could compare the figure with how many people regularly post messages...say, those who have a post count of at least 5 per day. That would be more realistic.

i agree. a lot of people could be interested in this topic, and just don't feel compelled to post. also, wdwmagic.com has a lot more registered users than it has active message board attendees. remember, this board rarely has more than 100 people on at a time, and a lot of the people are the same.

jmarc63

I just checked the main discussion tote board. here are the numbers

Number of members to post 56

number of seperate posts 321

member with most posts Jmarc63 (me) 49
Fantasia Boi 39
plperters70 27
garryhoov 26

looks at the posts 6871

jaylenofan86

This thread is titled "Monorail Expansion". You would think that anyone who is interested in the monorail would be drawn to this thread. People who are REALLY interested in this topic, would be likely to post a reply. There are currently 3,972 registered members of WDWMAGIC.COM. Out of those 3,972, so far 56 members have posted a reply (hold your comments - I have a life - it didn't take me as long as you think to count the replies). That's only 1.4%.
I'm all for a monorail expansion! I just don't want to get into the debate!

Invero

Originally posted by no2apprentice
Tyler, when you get around to reading this again, with a PRT, would that involve an elevated roadway/track, or would that be done on grade? Are you thinking of an automated system, where cars merge on and off a master road, and speeds are adjusted by computer? Would the cars be self-powered or run off an electrical rail or overhead wire? Just asking 'cause I don't know alot about PRT's, or what concepts have been presented.

PRT can run above grade, or at grade. PRT is always automated due to the size and complexity of the system. As for how they are powered, if I remember correctly (and I could be mistaken) Linear Induction Motors in the track are the preferred choice.

no2apprentice

Originally posted by dmspilot00

I had considered that when working on the numbers. But, everytime one of the people checks this thread to see what new post there is, that adds to the "read" count. How many of us have re-read this thread just to review the information? I know I have. Does that mean many of us have bad memories? No, of course not (well, except for me - lol). If anything, I was generous with the numbers. I counted all replies, not just the ones that had something positive to say.

I am not saying by any means, that the 1.4% figure is an accurate representation of the overall attitude of people who visit WDW and how they feel about the monorail. I am just looking for a microcosm that could quickly give an extremely APPROXIMATE guage of the amount of "passionate" people about the monorail. If anyone decides to dismiss this example, okay by me. It is by no means an accurate polling number.:)

As far as people who are members and never post, or who read the forums and are not members, well, isnt' that what society is like? Don't we have, in effect, a microcosm of our society on WDWMAGIC.COM? I know that out of the15 people I work with on my shift, NO ONE has even close to the love of Disney that I do. In fact, there is only one other person at my work, out of 250 people, that looks as forward to going back to WDW that I do. It may be possible that there is one or two more, I just haven't discovered them yet.

mickey04

My favorite thing at/about WDW is the monorails. Without riding the monorail and hearing "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengdanse a lejado de las puertas", it just isn't a trip to WDW. So, although I know it would be costly, and the logistics would be difficult to work out, and although I doubt that it will happen anytime soon, I would love it if they did.

mlnance

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

I have to at least wonder what is going on "BEHIND CLOSED DOORS" at WDW. If an announcement of a monorail expansion were to happen in the near future. I know we have had employees giving us their take on the current system, but I just have to wonder.

Was there any news about building a monorail expanision before Sept. 11th came along?

i love this post.

mike

no2apprentice

mlnance, if you haven't yet, take a look at the thread "Steve whats the BUZZ" on the same page this thread is on. Very interesting. And kind of a bummer, too.

Hurricane

woohoo monorails, add me to the list of supporters (and that argument was just plain stupid) the problem with monorails is that they just aren't economical when compared to buses, and people say that they are clean and efficient because they're electric, but when you realize that most electricity comes from the burning of coal you have to take it with a grain of salt, eitherway between monorails and no monorails i'd go with monorails, duh

jmarc63

Originally posted by Hurricane
woohoo monorails, add me to the list of supporters (and that argument was just plain stupid) the problem with monorails is that they just aren't economical when compared to buses, and people say that they are clean and efficient because they're electric, but when you realize that most electricity comes from the burning of coal you have to take it with a grain of salt, eitherway between monorails and no monorails i'd go with monorails, duh

Thanks hurricane for your support. Thats what I have been saying all along:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Has anyone seriously considered a maglev system using a guideway and planer high speed switching system? This can meet the need. The Japanese maglev system can reach speeds of over 300 mph.:) No waiting for busses or monorails.Sorry Tyler and Fantasia Boi, the system is completely computerized.

dmspilot00

I had considered that when working on the numbers. But, everytime one of the people checks this thread to see what new post there is, that adds to the "read" count. How many of us have re-read this thread just to review the information? I know I have. Does that mean many of us have bad memories? No, of course not (well, except for me - lol). If anything, I was generous with the numbers. I counted all replies, not just the ones that had something positive to say.

I am not saying by any means, that the 1.4% figure is an accurate representation of the overall attitude of people who visit WDW and how they feel about the monorail. I am just looking for a microcosm that could quickly give an extremely APPROXIMATE guage of the amount of "passionate" people about the monorail. If anyone decides to dismiss this example, okay by me. It is by no means an accurate polling number.:)

As far as people who are members and never post, or who read the forums and are not members, well, isnt' that what society is like? Don't we have, in effect, a microcosm of our society on WDWMAGIC.COM? I know that out of the15 people I work with on my shift, NO ONE has even close to the love of Disney that I do. In fact, there is only one other person at my work, out of 250 people, that looks as forward to going back to WDW that I do. It may be possible that there is one or two more, I just haven't discovered them yet.

A random guess would be about as accurate as your number. Maybe someone should put a poll to determine who thinks the monorails are "cool," who thinks they are "uncool," and who doesn't care. Of course you would still get seriously skewed results since it would be a voluntary poll on a disney site.

I do not know where you are going with that last paragraph about people who read and don't post. What are you saying? If people read it, they are interested in it, period. It doesn't matter whether you have something unique enough to say about the issue to make a post or not. It doesn't mean that they don't care, it means they don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said.

On another note, since the logistics work so unfavorably towards a monorail expansion, I think that they should have a minor expansion to connect the other few "deluxe" resorts and also the two newer theme parks (mgm/animal kingdom). I think it would make people happy without turning into a logistical nightmare, and busses can still be used in addition.

no2apprentice

What I was trying to express in my last paragraph, is that there are different levels of interest by people about different things, even on this site. This is true with society. I have known people who read the newspaper from cover to cover (not too many). Are they interested in everything they read? No. That's just their habit of reading the newspaper. I have known other people who skim the headlines and bylines and read only the articles that interest them. I have known other people who read the front page, the section that lists people who got arrested, and the obituaries. All I was trying to say is that this site probably has the same different levels of interest, just like society as a whole.

I completely agree that there is no truly accurate way to poll regarding the monorail. First of all, we would need to get 1500 people to respond to a poll on this site to get a fairly accurate result. That ain't gonna happen. Even if a poll was done with the public, what would be fair? If it was done as people are exiting the monorail, you would get more people who have an interest in the monorail. If it was done at the WDW exit, you would still get people who are interested in the monorail, but probably not as much as those who just got off. How about the streets of New York or Chicago? Interest would probably be very low.

As I wrote before, I love the monorail. I think it would be great if Disney could find a way to expand it to take in more resorts and parks. As others have posted, the monorail is part of the Disney magic. Am I willing, with a family of four, to see a significant (like 75% to 100%) increase in resort prices or ticket prices to pay for an expansion? No. I have a budget, and I would rather be able to get my family to WDW every year, instead of every 2-3 years, just because of a monorail expansion.

Plus, if there are going to be price increases, I would rather (for now) see the money go to more pressing things, like CM raises, park upkeep, updated and/or new attractions in the parks, etc.

On your same note, dmspilot00, you mentioned a minor expansion to connect some of the other deluxe resorts, and Disney Studios and AK. Don't you think that just that much would constitute a major expansion? That's quite alot of guideway to build.

Invero

Plus, if there are going to be price increases, I would rather (for now) see the money go to more pressing things, like CM raises

YEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invero

Originally posted by marypopmom
Has anyone seriously considered a maglev system using a guideway and planer high speed switching system? This can meet the need. The Japanese maglev system can reach speeds of over 300 mph.:) No waiting for busses or monorails.Sorry Tyler and Fantasia Boi, the system is completely computerized.

Well... I seriously don't think a 300mph system would be needed on WDW property... It takes a good distance to reach that speed, and an even greater distance to slow down. (This isn't RnRC after all!) And just because it can go fast doesnt mean one doesnt have to wait for it...

And umm... psst... Tyler and Fantasia Boi... thats one person... MEEEEE :)

bamboo7

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

YEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha. anyway tyler, someone posted above about a limited monorail expansion just to a few more deluxe resorts and the othermain parks. i'd like to hear your opinion on this idea. and if you don't see that route working, do you think that a small expansion to a diferent location COULD work, or is there no new route at all that you think a monorail would be the mose efficent mode of transportation? (maybe something like a monorail line that would go down to a new bus depot closer to the more southern areas). just an idea i am throwing around.

dmspilot00

What I was trying to express in my last paragraph, is that there are different levels of interest by people about different things, even on this site. This is true with society. I have known people who read the newspaper from cover to cover (not too many). Are they interested in everything they read? No. That's just their habit of reading the newspaper. I have known other people who skim the headlines and bylines and read only the articles that interest them. I have known other people who read the front page, the section that lists people who got arrested, and the obituaries. All I was trying to say is that this site probably has the same different levels of interest, just like society as a whole.

I completely agree that there is no truly accurate way to poll regarding the monorail. First of all, we would need to get 1500 people to respond to a poll on this site to get a fairly accurate result. That ain't gonna happen. Even if a poll was done with the public, what would be fair? If it was done as people are exiting the monorail, you would get more people who have an interest in the monorail. If it was done at the WDW exit, you would still get people who are interested in the monorail, but probably not as much as those who just got off. How about the streets of New York or Chicago? Interest would probably be very low.

As I wrote before, I love the monorail. I think it would be great if Disney could find a way to expand it to take in more resorts and parks. As others have posted, the monorail is part of the Disney magic. Am I willing, with a family of four, to see a significant (like 75% to 100%) increase in resort prices or ticket prices to pay for an expansion? No. I have a budget, and I would rather be able to get my family to WDW every year, instead of every 2-3 years, just because of a monorail expansion.

Plus, if there are going to be price increases, I would rather (for now) see the money go to more pressing things, like CM raises, park upkeep, updated and/or new attractions in the parks, etc.

On your same note, dmspilot00, you mentioned a minor expansion to connect some of the other deluxe resorts, and Disney Studios and AK. Don't you think that just that much would constitute a major expansion? That's quite alot of guideway to build.

I get what you're saying now; thanks for clearing that up.

Interest would be low in the streets of New York or Chicago but it doesn't matter. It only matters of the people have been to, are going to, plan, or wish to visit WDW. You wouldn't ask people in Canada how they feel about adding stars to the American flag. The people on this website are largely hard-core fans, which is why a poll wouldn't be very accurate. On the other hand the survey that WDW gives to resort guests (or at least used to) would be a good measure, because you'd get a cross-section of the average WDW vacationer.

As far as my "expansion" idea, that is just my opinion. I don't really look at it as an expansion, but more of a completion of a project that should have already been done. It wouldn't affect the logistics all that much especially since MGM and AK don't get as much traffic. In fact, I really think it would help MGM a little and especially AK.

Why? Maybe a family has seen all they wanted to see (MK & Epcot) and still has half a day left and wants to take advantage of their park hopper pass. "These monorails are so easy and cool," the family thinks, "why don't we take a ride over to AK just to scope it out for a little while?"

Okay, reality may be that a bus is just about as easy as a monorail, but it doesn't seem like it to the average visitor, and certainly they are not as fun (I know this has been debated already, don't remind me).

Since they would only be to the Deluxe resorts, I don't think you have to worry about a Disney vacation becoming unaffordable merely due to a monorail. It would just be a nice perk of staying in a Deluxe resort to be able to use the monorail for any major park (maybe even Downtown Disney?).

It's just my idea/opinion that I thought I would share. The best of both worlds, I think. True it's a "long" expansion in terms of guideway but in terms of traffic it is minor--like I said its really more like the completion of something that should have already been done. I love the monorails and realize it would be a bad, bad idea to try to "replace" the busses.

Invero

Originally posted by bamboo7

ha ha. anyway tyler, someone posted above about a limited monorail expansion just to a few more deluxe resorts and the othermain parks. i'd like to hear your opinion on this idea. and if you don't see that route working, do you think that a small expansion to a diferent location COULD work, or is there no new route at all that you think a monorail would be the mose efficent mode of transportation? (maybe something like a monorail line that would go down to a new bus depot closer to the more southern areas). just an idea i am throwing around.

Well... The only other deluxe resorts would be Yacht & Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Animal Kingdom Lodge.

AK Lodge really isn't a heavy traffic resort. And due to its location, I personally couldn't justify the cost with the ridership/demand. However, I do wish they had a little boat or something that would go from AKL to DAK. (Or for those of you PeopleMover fanatics, maybe one of those (one that is stoppable, for guests needing special assistance).

As for Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk... they only use busses for DAK, DTD, and MK. Both Epcot and Studios are serviced by the Friendship Cruisers, or by walking. MK is really the only one with enough demand. I could probably see justification for a small sized monorail for those three resorts... However... they weren't designed to handle a monorail, and they really don't have the land for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom