Monorail enhancements coming soon?

Figment1986

The Monster drink train in Las Vegas had an LCD at each end of every car for many years with a good picture that didn't interfere with clearances and such. I hope the Disney Marketing weasels don't see all the graphic ads in the picture though.
lvmint%25257E1.jpg

looking at that photo, it looks nice... now imagine replacing "monster energy drink" with "disney princesses!" :hammer:

Timon

looking at that photo, it looks nice... now imagine replacing "monster energy drink" with "disney princesses!" :hammer:

Ya know, that much ad graphics is just bad taste, and sensory overload princesses or not. But the monitors might just fit. I hope they are light adjusting for nighttime WDW scenery viewing. Maybe a front facing camera from time to time between videos or pulling into the station.

JoeZer

Steampunky Time Lord
The MARTA trains in Atlanta have TVs with no sound and no subtitles. So they are useless. But informational screens would work.

The subtitles are operating on some screens on the MARTA trains, but not all of the monitors are set to display the Closed Captioning. The audio channel for them is mainly set to be listened to on portable FM radios that some passengers may have (radio capable Walkmen/CD players, radio capable mp3 players, etc). There is a sticker (or should be) along the bottom of each of the monitors with different radio stations that can be listened to as well as which FM radio station the monitor's audio channel is broadcast on.

Slowjack

And besides, you won't be riding a monorail for very long anyway.
Gosh, that's a sad way to put it. Some of us currently enjoy riding the Monorail, I mean, as an attraction unto itself, and not just as a way to get from A to B. I'd like to continue enjoying it, rather than it becoming something we just have to get through, and hope any changes to the monorails won't diminish the experience.

MickeyPeace

Alright, well a few months ago it was a slow day at the Magic Kingdom, and we decided to head back to the room.

The only question I have for you is why would you head back to your room if it was a slow day at the Magic Kingdom?

You like standing in lines?

Rowdy

Original Poster
The only question I have for you is why would you head back to your room if it was a slow day at the Magic Kingdom?

You like standing in lines?

You know, I'm not sure why we were leaving. I want to say it was before lunch, which we were headed to T-Rex or Rain Forest Cafe if I remember right.

But, me saying it was a slow day was a reference to us being the only ones on the monorail car, and not my dear love of long lines. :lol:

juniorthomas

Yes I suspect they would have to be smaller. In the case of evacuations passengers are expected to climb over that seat so there would need to be a little more room, I didn't think about that when I made that mockup.

But still, it was a good concept. Way to shop it up.

juniorthomas

The Monster drink train in Las Vegas had an LCD at each end of every car for many years with a good picture that didn't interfere with clearances and such. I hope the Disney Marketing weasels don't see all the graphic ads in the picture though.
lvmint%25257E1.jpg

Fortunately there isn't much in Disney that is branded as much as that. Not even the Tron monorail was as seizure inducing as that.

juniorthomas

Gosh, that's a sad way to put it. Some of us currently enjoy riding the Monorail, I mean, as an attraction unto itself, and not just as a way to get from A to B. I'd like to continue enjoying it, rather than it becoming something we just have to get through, and hope any changes to the monorails won't diminish the experience.

Never said I didn't enjoy the monorail. It's just a simple fact that a lot of people who ride the monorail only use it to get into the parks, instead of seeing it as a part of the fun.

And I don't think that a television screen in each monorail car diminishes any part of it. They could put a camera on the front of the monorail and put a live feed in there, and list ride times as a ticker at the bottom. I see it as providing more value than it would take away.

Tom

Beta Return
Never said I didn't enjoy the monorail. It's just a simple fact that a lot of people who ride the monorail only use it to get into the parks, instead of seeing it as a part of the fun.

And I don't think that a television screen in each monorail car diminishes any part of it. They could put a camera on the front of the monorail and put a live feed in there, and list ride times as a ticker at the bottom. I see it as providing more value than it would take away.

The live cam is a neat idea, but I think they could still do something clever that doesn't SEEM like marketing. If you're headed to a specific park, talk about that park and scroll that day's park hours and show times. If you're on the Resort Loop, do a little blurb about the hotel you're headed to. While still technically marketing, it's also informative.

When I ride Magical Express, I don't mind watching the Disney infomercial. It's better than watching ABC or something non-Disney....I like to be immersed in the magic once I get off the plane.

NewfieFan

The live cam is a neat idea, but I think they could still do something clever that doesn't SEEM like marketing. If you're headed to a specific park, talk about that park and scroll that day's park hours and show times. If you're on the Resort Loop, do a little blurb about the hotel you're headed to. While still technically marketing, it's also informative.

When I ride Magical Express, I don't mind watching the Disney infomercial. It's better than watching ABC or something non-Disney....I like to be immersed in the magic once I get off the plane.

^This!

I'm ok with it if it's info/marketing.

WDWFREAK53

I like the idea of the screens showing showtimes, wait times, parade times, and any special events going on.

Also, while we're at it...I'd love to see a "News-network" for the resorts. Have it set up like an all-day news station and have different "news stories" that would explain different attractions.

For instance, "Weather Report:...Looks like lightning in the area of the Hollywood Tower Hotel..."

and now for Sports... "The Disney All-Stars showed up to play today with Mickey's Clubbers squeaking one out over Pete's Bombers."

Breaking News!!! "A Major Flood has caused a mine train to careen out of control!"

Tom

Beta Return
I like the idea of the screens showing showtimes, wait times, parade times, and any special events going on.

Also, while we're at it...I'd love to see a "News-network" for the resorts. Have it set up like an all-day news station and have different "news stories" that would explain different attractions.

For instance, "Weather Report:...Looks like lightning in the area of the Hollywood Tower Hotel..."

and now for Sports... "The Disney All-Stars showed up to play today with Mickey's Clubbers squeaking one out over Pete's Bombers."

Breaking News!!! "A Major Flood has caused a mine train to careen out of control!"

Very clever! :sohappy:

sod4

Fortunately there isn't much in Disney that is branded as much as that. Not even the Tron monorail was as seizure inducing as that.

The buses come close though. They don't have graphics on the floor but there are ads all the way down the upper sides.

juniorthomas

You're right. It's all part of the fun of being there.

NoChesterHester

Good stuff. I'd love for this rumor to be true. The monorails need an upgrade. My wife and I were commenting our last trip on how dated the interiors were.

Tom

Beta Return
I'll concede that point. Those buses are rife with ads for Disney Channel movies and ABC tv shows, etc.

Yup, and it really ruins the magic. If it were just "Disney" stuff it would be one thing, but when you start branching out into ABC, it just removes me from my little "the world is non-existent this week" bubble.

I hate outside influences when I'm at WDW. I don't like seeing cell towers. I don't like seeing commercial development. Heck, going to Downtown Disney is almost too "realistic" for me. But I'm a traditionalist, and I just remember the days when you'd go to Disney World and literally be isolated from the mess of the real world for a little while. But the real world is gradually seeping deeper and deeper into my fantasy world :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom