Monorail enhancements coming soon?

lazyboy97o

The fact that brand new monorails would be built in the 2000's to be operated in southern California without a/c is just so baffling and bizarre that I still can't figure it out...
The are not brand new monorails. They reused the Mark V bodies (except the nose) and Mark III chassis. Neither was designed to house air conditioning.

Cosmic Commando

The are not brand new monorails. They reused the Mark V bodies (except the nose) and Mark III chassis. Neither was designed to house air conditioning.
I think also they were concerned about the additional weight? Like I said, the old monorails had windows that worked pretty well. Anaheim weather is not Florida weather. Anyway, our system was designed with A/C in mind, so it wouldn't be an issue.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I think also they were concerned about the additional weight? Like I said, the old monorails had windows that worked pretty well. Anaheim weather is not Florida weather. Anyway, our system was designed with A/C in mind, so it wouldn't be an issue.

According to monorail_red a good amount of the WDW rail grid is not designed to handle a fully air conditioned train. it would require work to power the ac that is there PLUS the tv network that would be implemented. I see this idea as fairly farfetched.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
According to monorail_red a good amount of the WDW rail grid is not designed to handle a fully air conditioned train. it would require work to power the ac that is there PLUS the tv network that would be implemented. I see this idea as fairly farfetched.

That doesn't sound right at all. Perhaps you misunderstood monorail red?

Also, TVs do not pull anywhere near the power as an A/C unit.
A typical TV pulls 1 amp...which is the equivalent of burning two 60 watt light bulbs. That's hardly enough to put a drain on the power grid.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Also TV do not pull anywhere near the power as an A/C unit.
A typical TV pulls 1 amp...which is the equivalent of burning two 60 watt light bulbs. That's hardly enough to put a drain on the power grid.

Yepp he said Disneyland. It still is not as simple as plugging in a tv to power. The networking hardware, programming of it, heat the hardware will expel are all factors of installing something of that nature.

unkadug

Yepp he said Disneyland. It still is not as simple as plugging in a tv to power. The networking hardware, programming of it, heat the hardware will expel are all factors of installing something of that nature.

I'm well aware of what it takes for the infrastructure of video, as that is part of my daily job.

What heat are you talking about?

Today's LED TV's generate negligible heat. Wiring generates negligible heat. The hard-drive for the video would generate the most heat...but I hardly think that it would inconvenience the guests any more than the other smelly guests on board.

JIMINYCR

Oh we LOVE it! I had my oldest daughter reciting the whole spiel by the time she turned 5 :)

Shows great parenting skills, raising the next generation of Disney Lovers!!!:sohappy:
I love the looks of that DL monorail lit up. I have never had the chance to visit DL. Regarding the possible monorail TV's - I could handle a few WDW announcements, ads, if they were mixed in with some classic Disney cartoons while speeding along between the resorts or on the way to EPCOT.

Cosmic Commando

I'm well aware of what it takes for the infrastructure of video, as that is part of my daily job.

Today's LED TV's generate negligible heat. Wiring generates negligible heat. The hard-drive for the video would generate the most heat...but I hardly think that it would inconvenience the guests any more than the other smelly guests on board.
Do SSD's generate a lot of heat?

Rowdy

Original Poster

Also, TVs do not pull anywhere near the power as an A/C unit.

Could they not use batteries like televisions and sound systems in vehicles?
It's not that much extra weight, and they wouldn't have to tap into the existing wiring. That may cause more problems when it comes to maintenance, but I'm not sure.

unkadug

Could they not use batteries like televisions and sound systems in vehicles?
It's not that much extra weight, and they wouldn't have to tap into the existing wiring. That may cause more problems when it comes to maintenance, but I'm not sure.

I guess they COULD...but the weight of the batteries would be more of a drain on the electrical system than the extra 6 amps (my estimation only) to power the screens.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

The servers for the signal. I know the models that were new ~one year ago still expelled a good amount of heat... nothing like a network server of course :p. My big concern on that is it would take a good amount of room and mounting it in a cabin would more than likely be out of the question. In a non-ventilated area cooling would be a problem.

MDenham

Do SSD's generate a lot of heat?
Probably less than an LED TV will, since SSDs are basically a glorified flash drive anyway.

To be honest, I think the biggest heat generator out of the whole system would be whatever low-power processor they end up using, and even that's going to be thermal noise against even a single person in the monorail.

---

What the heck, I'll give a short guess as to how I expect them to be doing this:

The system would probably consist of a single low-power computer using a TV as its monitor, per car, using WiMax (this being easier/cheaper to implement than trying to retrofit the monorails and their power system so that the signal could be carried along with the power, as well as having sufficient range to cover the entire monorail system) to make the signal(s) available from a central location.

juniorthomas

Ok kinda a crazy question here, if this were to happen where would you place these screens at especially the summer and holidays those trains are crammed with people theres no way they can enjoy or even see those screens for that matter .

John

I think the bigger point is that, like TV, you have the choice to look at the screen or you can choose not to look at it. They'll likely use smaller monitors and attach them in the rear corner.

And the monorail's aren't always crammed.

juniorthomas

Gosh guess which it will be? Maybe Stacy or DeeVee will host it! lol

Park announcements would be one thing.....but it wont be simple guides...like another poster said Disney will not miss a chance to advertise....it will be a constant buzz of advertisements seperated perhaps by a moment or two of actual times and information. With this in mind I will stick with my original assessment. We will have to agree to disagree....

Well yes, they could certainly make it an advertising tool. In my mind it would likely be no different from the monitors they show on DME. Remember, while Disney is a business, their main goal is still to entertain.

And besides, you won't be riding a monorail for very long anyway.

s8film40

Here's a mockup of what this could look like.

fEP1K.jpg

s8film40

Seems plausible. I figured they'd be even smaller, and tucked away a little for safety/security reasons.

Yes I suspect they would have to be smaller. In the case of evacuations passengers are expected to climb over that seat so there would need to be a little more room, I didn't think about that when I made that mockup.

Timon

Seems plausible. I figured they'd be even smaller, and tucked away a little for safety/security reasons.

The Monster drink train in Las Vegas had an LCD at each end of every car for many years with a good picture that didn't interfere with clearances and such. I hope the Disney Marketing weasels don't see all the graphic ads in the picture though.
lvmint%25257E1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom