Monorail Accident

TraceyC/FL

I've been handling this thing pretty well until watching this video and reading the letter. Wow! That's powerful. I want to remember him through the eyes of this family and not the horrible pictures that flashed around the world this weekend...

I'm pretty sure this is something i can't watch right this second then.

I just started to cry telling DD that part of the reason for not allowing riding in the front right now is to allow the CM's to not have to answer a ton of questions. Let them grieve in private.

But thanks for the link, i'll watch it after i take DD to a CAP meeting.

Eyorefan

magicmaya

He was such a nice person.I remember riding in the front with him last year with my friends in monorail red.
RIP austin.
I could tell he really loved that job and the monorail is where he belonged.:(

DCTooTall

After reading Figments Friend's comments, I found a purple monorail pin on EBay. I'm not into pin trading, and don't wear a lanyard while I'm at Disney. But I'll find a place to wear this pin during our upcoming trip to memorialize Austin, and to symbolize my condolences to all WDW cast members on your loss.

I had to check ebay out after your comment. It's amazing how many Monorail pins actually seem to feature Mono-Purple. Someone is even selling the Donald LE Gold Card pin that is part of a series that let's you combine all the pins together to create a complete Monorail Purple.

You know, While I doubt it, and it may almost seem in bad taste, I can't help but wonder if maybe Austin might be able to get his own pin. I could almost see a cast-only pin in commemoration being a nice way to honor him among his friends he left behind. The down side is I could also see some people taking the opportunity to trivialize his death in the name of making a buck or "completing their collection".

GrumpyFan

Just watched the video of Austin in the cab. Very touching and sad. WDW has lost a valuable castmember.

On another note, it was interesting to see MAPO override in action. The pilot is confined to their position because they have to hold down the button, plus that constant noise is pretty irritating. Under those circumstances, I can understand how the pilot of Pink wouldn't have necessarily noticed his train had not switched tracks until it was almost back in the station.

PhotoDave219

I personally have never seen/heard Central accidentally put two trains close together. Doesn't mean its never happened (apart from this incident).

I heard of a previous incident where two trains bumped (i cant find the link but i think 1978?) but nothing like this.

It does make me wonder about management and who will ultimately be held responsibe

board57796

I heard of a previous incident where two trains bumped (i cant find the link but i think 1978?) but nothing like this.

It does make me wonder about management and who will ultimately be held responsibe

Yes thats correct, two trains collided in the Magic Kingdom station on Express. It was in the 70s so it was the MkIV trains, but in that case the CM deliberately overrid the anti-collision system to "hot rod" into the station, as I understand it. Unfortunately the train ahead hadn't fully departed. For a while you could see a differently colored area in the cieling of the station where Red actually rode up the train it hit and went into the cieling. The pilot was injured but OK.

However, that incident was not due to Central clearing Red into the station, while another train was occupying it. That incident was the fault of the CM.

hrcollectibles

Thats a good point and I know the LV monorail is automated but it's much smaller than WDW. I'm not sure it automation on a monorail has been done on the scale of WDW but I'd like to see them try it. It has nothing to do with the accident, I've wanted them to go automated for some time now.

Hasn't anyone seen what automated defense systems like Skynet do..

Skynet isn't our defender. It's our downfall! Everyone of you death mongering Cyberdyne bloodsuckers should be barbecued in your own--

Figments Friend

Thank you so much for posting this.

It's strange that hundreds of miles away, and with no affiliation with the transportation cast community except having been their guest many times, that I'd feel such a personal connection when hearing the news of the accident and Austin's death on CNN. I turned the TV off with a tear in my eye. It touched me again to read on here of his bravery to remain at the controls and attempt to back his train, obviously aware of the peril he was personally in.

I can't imagine the impact of this tragedy on Cast Members, and of course the devastation to his family. I've posted condolences on several boards, but would like to do more to show my support. After reading Figments Friend's comments, I found a purple monorail pin on EBay. I'm not into pin trading, and don't wear a lanyard while I'm at Disney. But I'll find a place to wear this pin during our upcoming trip to memorialize Austin, and to symbolize my condolences to all WDW cast members on your loss.

Thank you for the joy you bring us on our vacations, even when you're hurting inside.

- Dave

http://members..net/birdsofpreydave/Purple.jpg

And i THANK YOU Dave for posting this response. The above picture is the pin i was speaking of, and i have it on now. After spending two hours last night reading this thread after hearing about what had happened i felt a need to show some support for Austin and the Trans CM's currently On Property. This truly is a terrible incident, but like all things, GOOD can some from this tragety. It is already doing some good..bringing people together here as well as at the Resort.

When i finally managed to get up the nerve to view 'that video' shot at the TTC that unfortunate night, i was moved beyond words. Moved as it was gutting to imagine what must have been going though that poor boys mind and what must have been going through the fellow CM's minds the moments before the crash. This i think is why i am taking a personal feeling away from this...how can one not be moved but such imagery? I really FEEL for these people, people i have probably never met, but the fact that they are just that- PEOPLE- i cannot feel anything but sympathy for them. We are, after all, one big family across the world linked together by our love for Walt Disney World.

I think it would be nice to have a gathering for Austin. Something LOW KEY, but a public gathering would be nice i think. Friends, Family, Friends right here on WDWMagic.Com, Cm's of all departements/eras.... you name it. I think it would be a nice gesture towards not only Austin, but ALL CM's. It will bring attention to what these people do for WDW Guests on a regular basis....bringing Magic to life for Guests daily and in Austin's case giving their LIVES.

I thought about this today....and imagined a small gathering at a certain spot at a certain time to remember and honor Austin as well as ALL CM's who are touched or effected by Sunday's accident. Perhaps flowers laid someplace discreetly near a meaningful place? Maybe a short moment of silence? Is anyone interested in joining together for this? I am sending out this suggestion into the ethers....others can take up the idea and run with it if they so desire.

It should not be a morbib or 'sad' happening...but more of a honoring in a positive way. Something small....but gigantic in meaning to those who might be a part of it.

I did not personally know Austin..and i am not a CM myself, but my heart goes out to him and to Cm's in general for what they do..daily..for Guests who in many cases don't think twice about what they have to go through to provide 'The Show'. It is a hard job, but in the end most find it a worthwile effort.

Austin and other CM's, as well as us ourselves, are like monorail cars on the SAME TRACK. The track is 'life' - and we are all indeed ONE big family. ALL OF US! Let us honor that 'family' here, and elsewhere if need arises.

:)

ONE RAIL, ONE FAMILY

Wear those "Mono Purple Pins" !

PhotoDave219

Yes thats correct, two trains collided in the Magic Kingdom station on Express. It was in the 70s so it was the MkIV trains, but in that case the CM deliberately overrid the anti-collision system to "hot rod" into the station, as I understand it. Unfortunately the train ahead hadn't fully departed. For a while you could see a differently colored area in the cieling of the station where Red actually rode up the train it hit and went into the cieling. The pilot was injured but OK.

However, that incident was not due to Central clearing Red into the station, while another train was occupying it. That incident was the fault of the CM.

Gotcha. I'll have to look for that one day.

EastCoastn07

I have a bit of new info about the purple monorail, they downloaded the files from the onboard computer, and I don't know the exact timeline, but it would be nice to know. But it seems like purple was trying to go into reverse, the monorail was going forward then stopped, then e-stopped, then put into reverse and that was the last operator action. I'm not really familar with the monorails, so I don't know how long that would take or if it moves immediately or takes a little time to reverse and get up to speed.

I'm sorry but that is a flat out lie...I don't know who told you this, but the log in the trains doesn't even keep track of some of those things you mentioned. How do I know? I was a pilot for 5 months earlier this year. And yes I did know Austin. The only thing the log in the trains keeps track of is when you log in and any indications the train send to notify the driver of train issues, changes in MBS, etc. If what you are saying is true (which I don't think it is) and he put his train in reverse while he was still moving forward, the only thing that would show up in the logs is that he got a train control (because that's what happens when you change "gears" while the train is still moving). I also don't get the whole e-stopping deal either. If he saw a train coming at him, why would he e-stop the train?

DCTooTall

I also don't get the whole e-stopping deal either. If he saw a train coming at him, why would he e-stop the train?

I can't speak for the rest of your comments, but pure speculation would be that he E-Stopped the train to quickly stop it so he could throw it in reverse. If he was going forward, then 1. you would want to stop with as much distance between you and the oncoming train, and 2. he probably knew that if he had forward momentum and put it in reverse there would be problems.

From what I've heard, there is a estop button, so the quickest way to stop the train would be an E-stop. After all, the "e" does stand for EMERGENCY.

I think it would be nice to have a gathering for Austin. Something LOW KEY, but a public gathering would be nice i think. Friends, Family, Friends right here on WDWMagic.Com, Cm's of all departements/eras.... you name it. I think it would be a nice gesture towards not only Austin, but ALL CM's. It will bring attention to what these people do for WDW Guests on a regular basis....bringing Magic to life for Guests daily and in Austin's case giving their LIVES.
The facebook memorial page indicates there will be a vigil in Celebration on Saturday (in addition to the funeral tomorrow)

board57796

Lets just remember that Purple would have EStopped whether Austin hit the big red mushroom or not, because Pink was so close to it. So if Austin let go of MAPO Override (which is one of the things that would be noted in the log) the train would have immediately gone into an EStop. The only thing that would take it out of EStop is if Purple was switched into Reverse (IF the train were completely stopped, otherwise it would have given a Train Control) or if he reengaged MAPO Override, which theres really no reason he would have at that point.

My GUESS is that he probably saw the train backing towards him, released MAPO Override (which he would have been instructed by Central to use to enter Concourse) which EStopped the train (because Pink was creating a legitimate RED MAPO situation), put it in reverse (giving him a GREEN MAPO and the ability to move the train without Override), but didn't have enough time to get backed up, or even to start backing up possibly.

Assuming the console is somewhat undamaged, the Direction switch will either be found in FWD or REV, which will most likely tell us which direction the train was trying to go in its final seconds. Unless the impact knocked it out of its position.

luckyeye13

I'm sorry but that is a flat out lie...I don't know who told you this, but the log in the trains doesn't even keep track of some of those things you mentioned. How do I know? I was a pilot for 5 months earlier this year. And yes I did know Austin. The only thing the log in the trains keeps track of is when you log in and any indications the train send to notify the driver of train issues, changes in MBS, etc. If what you are saying is true (which I don't think it is) and he put his train in reverse while he was still moving forward, the only thing that would show up in the logs is that he got a train control (because that's what happens when you change "gears" while the train is still moving). I also don't get the whole e-stopping deal either. If he saw a train coming at him, why would he e-stop the train?

Actually, as a former Monorail pilot of the not too distant past (2006 to 2008), I know that the new monitoring system does, in fact, keep track of many more details than had been previously recorded. The older system did not keep track of anywhere near as much, but that system was finally phased out sometime before mid 2007. The current Windows-based system records cycle times, dwell times in the station, the station that has been entered, the track that the train is operating on, the time that Green, Amber, and Red MBS indications were received, when a train is placed into run or stop, which direction it is traveling in, and many many other indications. It may not seem like all of that information is being recorded, but that is because much of it is silently entered into the log near the bottom of the screen. The things that you mentioned are, of course, recorded, but you notice them as being logged because an alert that has to be acknowledged pops up on your screen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom