Monorail Accident

PhotoDave219

Is it standard practice to have a train enter the terminals at that speed, which by looking at the damage is easily 40+

Nope. It's 15 MPH max as governed by the system (Monorail people have said this.)

The system limits the speed when operated in override mode.

Its just a glass bubble surrounded by fiberglass and little steel/aluminum support.

rhythmlife07

I've been reading 70 pages of this thread since it began. I just want to say rest in peace Austin. This is a terrible tragedy. He'll be in my thoughts every time I see a monorail when I'm at WDW in a few weeks...

PhotoDave219

Hi everyone,

Apologies for intruding on the discussion with this, but I cover Disney for the Orlando Sentinel and I'm working on a story trying to better explain how this accident may have happened. As part of this, I'd like to talk directly to any current (or, at least relatively recent) monorail pilots in hopes of gaining a better understanding of things like MAPO, switching procedures, etc..

If anyone reading this is interseted, I can be reached this afternoon at 407-420-5414.

Thanks for everyone's time,
Jason Garcia

Told you he reads these forums.

lazyboy97o

ok people who has heard the 911 calls made? those calls heard on the Sent. web site only PROVES dispatchers are IDIOTS......now before some decent dispatcher blast me on here you BETTER listen to those calls. Both callers notified the 911 dispatcher therehad been an accident at the TTC and one caller stated they crashed together......neither time was the caller told help was coming. They asked if anyone was injured...blah blah caller said i dont know its just bad.....blah blah. 911 operator says "well go check" THEY ARE IDIOTS.. from those calls you cannot hear any FIRE or EMS units dispatched. it doesnt matter if anyone is hurt or not if two monorails crash there needs to be a fire truck somewhere close and MOST LIKELY a couple of paramedics with a ambulance! just FYI lol i know im about to get it.. for those who like the Disney history WED enterprise developed one of the very 1ST 911 systems in the WORLD! i mean the world not WDW. and i been a paramedic for almost 20 years every SECOND counts :brick:
From WOFL Fox 35's article
"Please note: Reedy Creek redacted portions of the 911 call."

In my job I have had to call 911 for an ambulance on many occasions. I have always been given the impression that personelle have been sent before I was told that they are on their way.

mikeymouse

ok people who has heard the 911 calls made? those calls heard on the Sent. web site only PROVES dispatchers are IDIOTS......now before some decent dispatcher blast me on here you BETTER listen to those calls. Both callers notified the 911 dispatcher therehad been an accident at the TTC and one caller stated they crashed together......neither time was the caller told help was coming. They asked if anyone was injured...blah blah caller said i dont know its just bad.....blah blah. 911 operator says "well go check" THEY ARE IDIOTS.. from those calls you cannot hear any FIRE or EMS units dispatched. it doesnt matter if anyone is hurt or not if two monorails crash there needs to be a fire truck somewhere close and MOST LIKELY a couple of paramedics with a ambulance! just FYI lol i know im about to get it.. for those who like the Disney history WED enterprise developed one of the very 1ST 911 systems in the WORLD! i mean the world not WDW. and i been a paramedic for almost 20 years every SECOND counts :brick:

I'm not going to blast anyone. I work on both ends of the radio. I personally would not have waited for anyone to check on injuries. I would have dispatched the world. If they're not needed, they can be cancelled. This could have been a mass casualty incident with multiple victims. Agreed, time is critical. They weren't getting a good location though from what I could hear. I heard the one guy say the Epcot monorail station. Units would have been sent to the wrong park. Wouldn't have changed the outcome. Just because you can't hear the units being dispatched doesn't mean someone else isn't doing so.

krankenstein

Normally, when you hear a dispatch ask that question it isn't to determine what to send, but to help prepare the first responders already on the way.

tink2304

I would like to say my heart and prayers are with the family, friends and fellow castmembers.

I have been trying to read all these posts, starting early Sunday morning. Here are my thoughts/questions. (sorry if they are repeats)

Someone mentioned something about the nose of the monorail is meant to collapse/cave in in the event of an accident to prevent further damage/injury elsewhere. And apprently this is told to the pilots during their training. Why would Disney have been letting guests ride up front all this time if this were true. I have rode up front many times, and I think if I was told that in the event of a collison we had no chance of surviving - I wouldn't be riding up there. (of course this may be true of many rides)

At first there was a feeling (on these boards) of error with the purple driver and now error of pink driver. I believe i read that the pink driver was taken to the hospital as a precaution. I found this odd, since none of the passengers were taken. i think maybe he had to go to have his alcohol level test and /or drug test. Not saying that he was under the influence - but it is standard practice if there is a job related injury to have these tests done. I wonder if the report will show later that he simply was tired - can the hospitals even state that in their evaluations ?

I would like to think Disney would find a way to honor/pay tribute to to Austin, but I doubt we will see/hear anything. I don't think I have ever seen anything or heard about anything being done for the cm playing Pluto in the parade that died or the cm form the dino ride. I would like to think Disney is quietly doing what it can for the family and I'm sure $ will be involved. Not as a payoff or due to the family sueing. I would just imagine that Disney insurance pays well for death on the job, as do most companies when a tragic injury or death happens at work.

TraceyC/FL

At first there was a feeling (on these boards) of error with the purple driver and now error of pink driver. I believe i read that the pink driver was taken to the hospital as a precaution. I found this odd, since none of the passengers were taken. i think maybe he had to go to have his alcohol level test and /or drug test. Not saying that he was under the influence - but it is standard practice if there is a job related injury to have these tests done. I wonder if the report will show later that he simply was tired - can the hospitals even state that in their evaluations ?

Such tests would be standard, and i'm pretty sure the other driver would know at that point the other driver died he probably was EXTREMELY shook up and should have been watched for that.

uklad79

You have no idea when they dispatched, you are making a stupid assumptions. Why would you "hear" them being dispatched? It's a computer based system not a radio!

Oh and Disney didn't create the 911 system, try the UK in 1937 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_(emergency_telephone_number)

lazyboy97o

I believe i read that the pink driver was taken to the hospital as a precaution. I found this odd, since none of the passengers were taken. i think maybe he had to go to have his alcohol level test and /or drug test. Not saying that he was under the influence - but it is standard practice if there is a job related injury to have these tests done. I wonder if the report will show later that he simply was tired - can the hospitals even state that in their evaluations ?
The only reasoning I have heard, on a television report I believe, was that the pilot of Monorail Pink was so distraught it was done as a precaution.

PhotoDave219

Seeing that you work in the world of EMTs/FFs i understand where you are coming from. The whole "Go and Check" for injuries seems pretty mundane in the real world EXCEPT for WDW where people call ALPHAs constantly for anything. (Ive called them myself) I would also surmise that the dispatcher didn't quite believe what he was hearing or thought two trains had bumped.

That being said I think that RCES did a good job, especially the first EMT (you've seen the pictures) ripping into the cab by hand.

At least they were able to get into the station. I couldn't imagine them having to do an extraction and evac on-beam.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Right, that would not surprise me if he was taken to the hospital due to the sheer stress of it all.

As far as the expert who said it couldn't be 15mph, the laws of physics would be a good read.

The 911 calls seemed to be handled a bit oddly as well, though the first person who called in didn't seem to know anything anyway.

Figment632

From WOFL Fox 35's article
"Please note: Reedy Creek redacted portions of the 911 call."

In my job I have had to call 911 for an ambulance on many occasions. I have always been given the impression that personelle have been sent before I was told that they are on their way.

I had to call 911 as a cast member of TDS because a Todler pierced a hanger through his cheek. The EMTS did get there for 45 minutes when the hospital was only 5 minutes away.

PhotoDave219

I had to call 911 as a cast member of TDS because a Todler pierced a hanger through his cheek. The EMTS did get there for 45 minutes when the hospital was only 5 minutes away.

Mine were because a guest crashed an personally-owned ECV at the bottom of SSE (down the hill) and the other was due to dehydration/exhaustion. RCES responded quickly and professionally and in the exact manner that I'd expect them to.

The lady who crashed the ECV initially declined EMS help but damm if I was going to let her just walk away without signing some sort of release, declining medical attention.

lazyboy97o

Did it take that long for the Fire Department too or just the ambulance? I have never been in a situation where the ambulance arrived first or very shortly after the Fire Department. The calls I make typically deal with head or neck injuries and/or cuts.

Figments Friend

I have been away for the last couple of days but did hear about this accident soon after it happened.

My first reaction was 'NO WAY..the system does not allow such a thing to happen!'.

My second reaction was..' How the heck could such a thing even logistically happen, being aware of how complicated actually running on the Rails' is.

As soon as i was able, my first stop was here to get the 'real story' and hear all the theories based on facts known to the CM community who regularly visit and post. I thank you ALL for this, as i owe much of my past knowledge of such workings to your informative postings. I have read this entire thread ( over 2 hours now..) and much has been brought to light and appreicated. I always know i can get the REAL story from 'those in the know'.

I am terribly saddened about how this might have happened..and it it truly a terrible accident by all definition. My heart goes out to Austin's family and to EVERYONE in Transportation. This is a hard experience to handle.

I will be wearing my purple Mono pin for the following week as a tribute to Austin, as well as all Trans CMs on Property. You guys ( and gals) have my condolences, appreciation, and THANKS.

"One Rail, One Family"

:wave:

lincolnjkc

The audio released is being attributed to Reedy Creek. I think that may just have more to do with how 911 operators are trained to handle calls. They always have that very calm demeanor. Its irritating as hell when you are the one making the call, but its for the best that they stay calm and help to prevent panic.

The dispatcher seemed to understand TTC and on one of the calls specifically asked which beam, so it seems likely that Reedy Creek would have taken the call.

911 Operators are suposed to be emotionally "flat" -- you could tell them that you just cut off your hand and most will mantain a very calm demenor because getting worked up doesn't do anyone good and can cause some panicked behaviors that don't do anyone any good.*

What suprised me (and of course hindsight is 20/20) is that over three calls it sounded like the dispatcher wanted to know for sure if/how many injuries before actually rolling a truck... and I wonder, assuming that's true, if the chances of live rescue would have been higher had something--anything--been rolled on the first call... Even if you don't know how many/how severe some triage can be done.

On the other hand, I'm kind of suprised that none of the callers could provide a "Yes, there are going to be injuries"/"we're still trying to account for everyone"

Lincoln

* - Just like flight attendants are trained for evacuations to use a concise, firm, repetitive "Come This Way. Leave your things. Come this way. Leave your things" to get people to get off of the aircraft quickly.

lazyboy97o

What suprised me (and of course hindsight is 20/20) is that over three calls it sounded like the dispatcher wanted to know for sure if/how many injuries before actually rolling a truck... and I wonder, assuming that's true, if the chances of live rescue would have been higher had something--anything--been rolled on the first call... Even if you don't know how many/how severe some triage can be done.
I hear no indication to confirm or deny that vehicles had already been dispatched. It may very well be that the dispatcher was trying to determine if more personelle needed to be called to the scene.

Looking at how far Monorail Pink was sitting inside Monorail Purple, I really do not think much could have been done.

* - Just like flight attendants are trained for evacuations to use a concise, firm, repetitive "Come This Way. Leave your things. Come this way. Leave your things" to get people to get off of the aircraft quickly.
Having had to evacuate a building with at least 300 people inside it is amazing what a calm, authoritative voice can do for you. What is not pleasant is the people who afterwards complain that they had to leave their belongings behind.

peter11435

Having knowledge of how RCES operates I can assure you that units start rolling as soon as the call is made. The dispatcher gathers more information but help is already on the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom