Monorail Accident

brkgnews

Regarding the age/experience question... For whatever it is worth, the study guide alone that prospective mono pilots were given back in the 90s (the last one I have in my hands) is upwards of 45-50 pages... and it is intense stuff. This isn't a glib "push a button and go" kind of thing... they receive intense training and have to know a LOT.

HMF

Heads up- Federal investigations of both WDW's Mark VI Monorails AND Disneyland's Mark VII Monorails WILL BE HAPPENING.

hardcard

Heads up- Federal investigations of both WDW's Mark VI Monorails AND Disneyland's Mark VII monorails WILL BE HAPPENING.

Link? Why would they check the DL system for a WDW crash? 2 different monorails systems... 2 different manufacturers... Thats like checking Boeing planes in regards to a Airbus crash

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Thank you for saying that! People are blowing the footage way out of proportion. Children aren't going to start screaming just because they see the aftermath of 2 monorails collided.

Children screaming at wdw... surely you jest!? :lol::lookaroun:lookaroun

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I was 23 years old and in the college program when I became a boat captain for Walt Disney Watercraft Transportation at Magic Kingdom in 2007

Previous boat piloting experience...0

Trained, evaluated and operating a boat on the Seven Seas Lagoon by myself.....2 1/2 weeks.

Accidents at the conclusion of my internship 5 months later.......0

The experience argument is also assuming that the 21 year old pilot that died was at fault, there is no evidence to that fact as of yet.

PlanetZ

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened. May the pilot rest in peace.
That camera man probably couldn't help because HE WASN'T STRONG ENOUGH! I have seen both the video and the pictures. The camera man was shown (half of his body) at the end of the video when he was chased away, and he was as skinny as a string. That guy couldn't have helped at all; that's why he was filming it instead. Didn't any of you notice that the people trying to open the door were strong, large, and strengthful people? Filming it may help legally later. Then you all might not be saying that the camera man is unethical.

Captain Chaos

Heads up- Federal investigations of both WDW's Mark VI Monorails AND Disneyland's Mark VII Monorails WILL BE HAPPENING.

That was bound to happen... It is a transportation system after all... All I know is, come October, I will be riding on the monorails without giving it a second thought...

The Conundrum

You do understand that some people can move on faster and heal quicker than others, can't you?? And I never once mentioned SUE..

I never said you did. Read what I wrote again I compared the people who are saying the witnesses will need mental therapy are almost bad as the people saying the family should sue.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Link? Why would they check the DL system for a WDW crash? 2 different monorails systems... 2 different manufacturers... Thats like checking Boeing planes in regards to a Airbus crash

Maybe they are more interested in procedure than the actual system?

HMF

I belive this is the standard procedure in these cases.

drkokintz

I was at TTC about 5 minutes before the accident. I had taken the ferry over from MK and was waiting for the parking tram. I had been waiting for quite a while and no trams had come and I was about 20 people back, so I decided to walk to my car, even though I was parked in Bashful 130.

On my way from TTC to my car, the accident must have happened. As I got into my car I saw two police/security cruisers book it up World Drive. The walk to my car must have taken 10-15 minutes and it was exactly 2:09am when I got in my car.

I do not recall seeing a monorail go overhead towards TTC during my walk, and I walked under the Epcot line; but I'm sure that I could have simply not noticed/ignored it. I didn't hear the accident either, but I may have been far enough away when it happened.

On my way out of the parking lot, as I passed the Magic Kingdom gate, I saw several emergency vehicles, including a large yellow fire engine, going through the gate back to TTC.

I had been there with my parents, who are currently staying at Poly and they were told that all monorails are offline and will be for the rest of the day.

I amazed that I was this close to this awful tragedy and my heart goes out to anyone affected.

The Conundrum

Children screaming at wdw... surely you jest!? :lol::lookaroun:lookaroun

Thats kinda my point. Those children could be screaming about anything.

The way some people are making it sound is that the child saw the 2 smashed monorails and had a mental breakdown and started screaming which is HIGHLY unlikely. There is no way you could tell from looking at the crash that anybody had died.

PlanetZ

There is no way you could tell from looking at the crash that anybody had died.

Exactly! I saw the video and there was no way to see the bodies.

By the way, the pilots are told during training that the CAB does crush during an accident, to save the passengers from injuries. They are given the choice to leave right then and there. This pilot is a hero!!! :)

Monsterfan99

It tends to happen with theme/amusement parks. When the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom accident happened with the Intamin Drop Tower 2 in 2007, some states required inspections. All of the same style of ride also closed just as well. Done more as a preventive manner.

Sad to see this event happen. Seems like it was a "perfect storm" of issues. I send my condolences to all involved in this tragedy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom