Monorail Accident

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Isn't it standard procedure for the driver to be out of the cab during load/unloading of passengers at the station?

The limited information out there speculates that the actual impact may have occurred just outside the station near to the ticket booth areas. So both monorails were being piloted at that time.

hardcard

Without giving any credence as to whether an NTSB (or any other federal agency) investigation will happen, as an FAA employee I can say that yes, that sort of thing could happen in a crash investigation.

If it does come down to a procedure failure as some have alluded to, then I can see OSHA doing a review of both locations (WDW and DL).

clarification then.. you don't investigate a Jeep Cherokee for a Suburban Crash..

either way, I can't say investigating both systems would surprise me, but HMF is posting opinions as facts without backing them up...

Thats all

Einselen

The limited information out there speculates that the actual impact may have occurred just outside the station near to the ticket booth areas. So both monorails were being piloted at that time.

If that is the case then I wonder how they got the monorails to the station especially since I would think you would not move the monorails at all until emergency services arrive.

Slipknot

If that is the case then I wonder how they got the monorails to the station especially since I would think you would not move the monorails at all until emergency services arrive.

From what I've seen, I believe the accident happened at the station to begin with.

hardcard

I just received information for a private source that stipulates that there may have been a braking system failure on monorail purple.. Again, take it with a truck load of salt..

I was told I could repeat, but lets leave this anonymous for now .....

but... well there it is.. if I can confirm in any other way, I will

lazyboy97o

Let me precede this by saying that at this time I am in no way speculating on the appropriateness of any actions taken by any Cast Members.

That said, from my personal experience, often times people seem to forget the rule of not moving seriously injured persons. If the injured party is in a less than desirable location it seems that many have the first reaction of wanting to move the injured to a more desirable location.

To my understanding, there would have been a back up breaking system. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but ToT has the buffer zone as a failsafe. I'm sure the monorail train also has a similar backup break system.

I will not speculate what caused this untill there is sufficient evidence.

The Conundrum

I just received information for a private source that stipulates that there may have been a braking system failure on monorail purple.. Again, take it with a truck load of salt..

I was told I could repeat, but lets leave this anonymous for now .....

but... well there it is.. if I can confirm in any other way, I will

wow wouldn't something like that be caught during routine maintenance?

Also, wasn't it the control towers responsiblity to make sure the two monorails are at safe distance away from each other?

brkgnews

If they were indeed moved... I would imagine it would be in order to facilitate rescue efforts. From many indications, the crash happened just outside the station, so it would make sense to move a few hundred feet to have a stable platform on which to work, rather than relying on ladder trucks and the new rescue platform truck.

hardcard

wow wouldn't something like that be caught during routine maintenance?

Also, wasn't it the control towers responsiblity to make sure the two monorails are at safe distance away from each other?

you would think.. but lets not get too deep into it.. just in case this info isn't accurate..

Central can do that yes, but drivers maintain the distances based on MAPO advisories and overrides.. Central cannot control the trains directly.

I'm just suprised they havn't put up construction walls that they use during refurbs....or even tarps. I don't think anyone needs to see the wreckage of the monorails up close and personal on their way into the parks. It would make sense to me that Disney would try to "close the curtins" and try to preserve the "show".

MyLittleAngels

says that OSHA is involved in the investigation

I don't think there's any way to OSHA NOT to be involved. I used to work at a large veterinary hospital, and whenever we had an incident, it was investigated ... And we were a small, <75 employee company. I would assume Disney, considering their immense stature, would have their heads on the proverbial chopping block all the sooner.

Slipknot

There is no way for the control tower to tell where each monorail is unless they ask the pilots of each monorail in operation where they are. But the fact that this happened right there just makes you wonder...

hardcard

I'm just suprised they havn't put up construction walls that they use during refurbs....or even tarps. I don't think anyone needs to see the wreckage of the monorails up close and personal on their way into the parks. It would make sense to me that Disney would try to "close the curtins" and try to preserve the "show".

There are tarps at the TTC at the point... I mentioned that earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom