Moderate Resorts - Your views on them?

Figments Friend

Hi Everyone

Thought i would begin a thread today regarding Moderate Resorts at WDW, as i am considering 'moving up' in the WDW World and am considering a stay at a Mod.

I usually stay at All Star Music ( my 'apartment' away from home..) but with the new Dining Offer now out i am contemplating possibly staying at a Moderate. This will be a first. So i am interested in YOUR feedback, tips, general review of your stay.

Which Moderate do you enjoy most?

Is there one you would recommend above all others?

Is there one you were not overly keen on and would advise one stay away?

I have read various other threads and several guide books about the Mods, but i always value the opinions of readers HERE on WDWMagic.Com. You guys ( and gals) know your stuff...and a lot of regulars like me come here. I just always tend to stay at the Values...but i am now considering a move to a Mod.

I would love to hear your views!!

:wave:

MsMouse726

I am an avid fan of the Caribbean Resort. This was the first Disney resort that I remember staying at when I was little and have returned for many visits since then including my honeymoon a few years ago. We have stayed in all categories (Value, Moderate, Deluxe, & Deluxe Villa), but when we talk about which one we loved the most it always ends up being the CR. It may not be the most luxurious or the most popular, but we absolutely love it. When I am there, I truly feel like I am at Disney. We are simple people so the accomodations, atmosphere and "dining" fit perfectly for us. I've not stayed at the other mods so I can't really say that CR is better, but I do know that we have always been happy when we've stayed there. Good luck in your search!

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

I stayed at POFQ a few years ago. Loved it but the busses were long waits. I was hoping to "move up in the World" again this trip but we need 2 rooms. The $ tag of the value definitely looks appealiing. lol

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We stayed at CBR back in 96 and did not care for it...but have not tried since the make over. CSR...beent there 2 and loved it both time. Bigger beds and nicer ground and meals!! POFQ..loved it back in 2000 and hated it last year, nothing but room trouble. But very nice having the boat to DD. When you think about can you really go wrong...your at DINSEY!!!! Our home away from home is the WL. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

Master Gracey 5

I've only stayed at Caribbean Beach myself, and enjoyed it immensely. Busses seem to be a long wait no matter which Mod you stay at, so it all comes down to theming and location, both of which CBR has in spades. I'm sure you'll enjoy your choice no matter where you stay.

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

I've stayed at both CBR (twice) and PORS (once), both are beautiful and I would stay at both again. But I prefer CBR over PORS. I love the theming and the feel of the resort. The resort is huge, so the busses do take a bit longer going from island to island, but that doesn't bother me. This past trip (2 weeks ago) we spent a lot of time at the resort as we just love it. The food court is themed nicely (and the layout is easier imo compared to PORS). We just really enjoy CBR.

Upvote 0

StingraySam

In my opinion you will not regret moving up from a Value to a Moderate regardless of the resort you choose. Each has it's own personality and you should choose the one that fits you best. We are very much like you, most of our stays have been to the Value Resorts. Many of our trips we have only considered the resort as a place to go to because the parks aren't open 24 hours and eventually we do need to sleep sometime. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like we haven't used the facilities at the Value Resorts we enjoy them quite a bit, it's just we usually would only go for a long weekend and our focus was on going to the parks and the extra cost of a Moderate Resort just didn't seem economical. Just recently our trips have become less frequent but our length of stay has been longer, more on the 3-4 night variety. This has changed our outlook on our trips to include spending more time at the resort rather than in the parks. With this change we have been staying more at the Moderate Resorts and have enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. Our resort of choice has been the Carribean Beach, it has the right feel for us as a family. Coranado Springs has always been a close second choice, the larger beds are a plus over Carribean but I just don't like the hybrid counter service / sitdown setup at the Pepper Market. It's been quite a while since we have stayed at either of the Port Orleans resorts so it would be unfair of me give a negative comment. I do remember the last time we stayed there our children were quite young and when we came back from the parks in the evening it was so quiet it seemed like we would be disturbing other guest just by walking back to our room. This gets me to another observation I have notice in the comparing a value to a moderate. All of the Value Resorts have a high energy vibe to them, when coming back from a park at midnight things are still jumping, were as the Moderate Resorts have more of a laid back, slow down and stay awhile atmosphere. Now maybe this is just the attitude we are arriving with but it's just always been my observation. As for the bus system I have noticed people either love it or hate it. You put me in the love it column. I have never really had a problem with the buses at a moderate resort. I would much rather wait a few extra minutes in a covered bus shelter than baking in the sun in a cattle corral. And I have never had to wait for a second bus to get to a park were at Pop Century this has happened several times.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We have stayed at each level of resorts. I'd say the mods are are least favorites. Our least favorite of all the mods is Coronado Springs. It has such a huge layout. We were close to the main check-in and dining areas, but we were quite a walk from the Dig Site. I'd say PORS or POFQ would be our first choices for moderate.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

We moved up from Value to Mod for the first time last October to take advantage of free dining as well. We are so glad we did. We stayed at CBR and loved it. The theming really made you feel like you were in the Caribbean, with the steel drum music being played, the decor, and the "beach" along with the pools. We asked for and received a room in Aruba/Jamaica right by the footbridge so it was a short, beautiful walk to the food court and main pool. Some people have complained about bus waits at CBR, but we had a rental car so I can't comment on that.I highly recommend CBR.:wave:

Upvote 0

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Many thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Seems like CBR is the top choice, and a big favorite of everyone's. I have had three Resorts in mind...CBR, POFQ, and even considered CS.

Still mulling over the choices...and i agree regarding the 'energy' that seems to always be at the Values. Mods do tend to have a slightly more relaxed mood to them.

One of these days i hope to make the big jump and stay at least ONE night at the Poly....one of these days....

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

Stayed at the Coronado in March and really loved the resort. We found the rooms to be extremely comfortable. We also had awesome bus service. My only complaint was that we were located in the Ranchos section of the resort, which is furthest from the main building. It was a lovely walk, but we had some freaky cold weather in March so it wasn't always fun. The Casitas seemed nice.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Our favorite moderate is PORS, least favorite is CBR. We love the laid-back atmosphere at PORS, the landscaping, boat to DTD and it doesn't seem as dated to us as CBR. Yes, the bus system at PORS can sometimes be daunting but overall, its a great choice.

Upvote 0

Soarin' Mama

We've only been to WDW once, but stayed at CBR and loved it so much that the next time we go we'll stay there again. I totally agree with the poster who said that the relaxed feel of the resort was just the thing after a long day at the parks. I really appreciated being surrounded by grass, trees, and water after spending all day in the parks. The bus rides were a little long, but we didn't mind that so much because we would wake up and get going. The bus ride gave me time to enjoy my coffee :)

Upvote 0

ryguy

I too am a CBR fan, doesn't every resort have bus issues?? Rent a car it will solve the problem, u get what you pay for I guess. I am surprised no one has mentioned The Cabins at FT. Wilderness they are considered "moderate". I am staying for the first time in two weeks, so I am crossing my fingers hoping they will be great.

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

It always amazes me when people say how big CSR is. The only mod resort that is small and truly walkable is POFQ. BUT, since I have stayed at all of them, if I have to walk, I prefer the walk around CSR. It is just beautiful, especially at night. And getting to the pool from any section other than Casitas 1-5 takes only a few minutes at a normal pace. I will not walk at night at POR/Alligator Bayou section as it is dark and not clearly marked. I never feel safe walking through there. The Magnolia Bend section is better but much further from everything. I wont even try to walk around CB as it is huge. I usually wait for the bus, which as someone else said, isn't the best system in the "world".

So basically that was the long way to say I highly recommend CSR over the other mods.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom