Moderate Resorts - Your views on them?

Figments Friend

Hi Everyone

Thought i would begin a thread today regarding Moderate Resorts at WDW, as i am considering 'moving up' in the WDW World and am considering a stay at a Mod.

I usually stay at All Star Music ( my 'apartment' away from home..) but with the new Dining Offer now out i am contemplating possibly staying at a Moderate. This will be a first. So i am interested in YOUR feedback, tips, general review of your stay.

Which Moderate do you enjoy most?

Is there one you would recommend above all others?

Is there one you were not overly keen on and would advise one stay away?

I have read various other threads and several guide books about the Mods, but i always value the opinions of readers HERE on WDWMagic.Com. You guys ( and gals) know your stuff...and a lot of regulars like me come here. I just always tend to stay at the Values...but i am now considering a move to a Mod.

I would love to hear your views!!

:wave:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Many thanks for the awesome responses since last i posted...some really helpful insights.

You have all helped a great deal in aiding me in my choices!

Both Port Orleans locations have appeal, and i am still considering CSR. CBR sounds awesome, something i would enjoy, but i have heard from Disney themselves that this Resort tends to attract the most families with kids of all the Mods. So i am somewhat apprehensive about choosing this one, although i am sure i would love the theming. Part of the reason i am considering a move up to a Mod is to kind of get away from that overly frantic 'family scene' that i regularly experience at the Value i normally room in. I realize families and kids will be everywhere..but surely there are lesser concentrations in some Resorts then others.

I am taking the comments about CSR to heart, as the remarks about it not seeming like a vacation due to it being a major convention spot was a interesting and valuable view.

I still have some time to think about it before booking for a September visit ( annual pilgrmidge..) so do keep the comments coming. I read everything!

P.S. - Special thanks for the reminder regarding the 'upgrade' one get get at the Values during the current 'FD Offer' if one wishes. I was not aware of the actual rate until now. Something to consider, i agree!

:wave:

Upvote 0

Wakkie Nu Nu

If you're apprehensive about the level of families with kids, CSR should move to the front of your line. The "convention" thing, IMHO, is a bit overblown. If seeing someone in a shirt and tie zaps you out of vacation mode, then sure, I get it - but it doesn't me, and depending on when you go, you may not see it at all... but the fact is, every cast member I've spoken to re: any sort of calmer or couples/romantic/older kids/more relaxing trip to a mod suggested CSR, and I completely agree.

Even still, it's as big and spread out as CBR, which for us is an advantage - it's still WAAAY less walking than you'll do in any park, and it leads to beautiful grounds, laid back atmosphere, no sense of crowding, romantic vibes (hammocks, water views, bikes, beaches, boats)... The walking we do at the resort is a drop in the bucket compared to the parks, and we love taking in the landscaping and overall awesome atmosphere (especially at night - CSR is STUNNING, check out Buzz2001's CSR website for some great photos).

plus, fitness center, two bars (one poolside, one lakeside), nightclub, business center, WiFi in the lobby and poolside (only SOME deluxes and CSR even have wifi at all), Queen Beds in standard rooms, flat panel TVs, big heavy wooden doors as opposed to flimsy curtains to the bathroom, an actual functional desk in the room w/ extra seating.... all features standard to CS and no other moderates. It's a cut above, and there's a reason it's often seen as mod-plus or deluxe-lite.

Not to mention all the features the other mods boast, like table service + QS dining (in a big, unique setting), awesome feature pool, quiet pools in each area (casitas, cabanas, ranchos), dedicated bus service, huge gift shop (i believe the biggest of the mods).

The only other "dedicated advantages" other mods would have (things beyond "feel") would be the POs boat to DTD, CBR's slightly larger room size, and POFQ's tiny footprint (if you can't walk another 100 yards after a long day in the park). But otherwise, on paper, it's a blowout.... and I'm a guy with CBR luggage tags on his baggage, so if anything I have a personal bias in another direction. :) Either way, you can't go wrong - have fun! Interested to hear what you choose!

Upvote 0

PalisadesPkteer

It could depend on which village you book at CBR. There are Pirate themed rooms in the Trinidad North area I believe. This is probably the area with more families But it is also kind of "by its self" so to speak. It is far away from feature pool, food court etc.

When I stayed in Aruba I saw very little families there but saw some hiking it from Trinidad North towards food court etc. at times.

The beds were quite good and liked having the slightly bigger room. As everyone has said it will depend on what you might like as atmosphere.

Caribbean - CBR
SouthWest USA - CSR
New Orleans (French Quarter) - POFQ
Old South (SouthEast) - PORS

I think CBR, POFQ and PORS are more centrally located. CSR is over near AK and might have longer trips on bus to get to / from parks.

If Disney says CSR has the least families then they would know better than anyone

I usually stay at POP Century because of finances. Stayed at POP 5 times. All Star Movies 1 time and CBR 1 time. Stayed off property 5 times.

My friends stayed at CSR 1 time. They mentioned how nice the resort looked at night and the best food court anywhere on property. They said they saw some people with shirts / ties and did mention the area they were in was long walk to bus food court etc. Did not ask them about families but they loved the Myan pyramid pool. Hope this helps you some more.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

If you're apprehensive about the level of families with kids, CSR should move to the front of your line. The "convention" thing, IMHO, is a bit overblown. If seeing someone in a shirt and tie zaps you out of vacation mode, then sure, I get it - but it doesn't me, and depending on when you go, you may not see it at all... but the fact is, every cast member I've spoken to re: any sort of calmer or couples/romantic/older kids/more relaxing trip to a mod suggested CSR, and I completely agree.
I agree 100%. Some of WDW best resorts are convention resorts. The GF, BW, Y&BC, and the Swan & Dolphin are all convention resorts. Many of the convention folks travel with families. CSR may not be over run with kids like Pop or All Stars but its not complete adults either.

PalisadesPkteer - I'm from Bristol as well!

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

I have stayed at PORS. The landscaping and mansions are very beautiful. The pool looked nice (although we didn't use it). The only bus problem is at the Studios. It did require a lot of walking to get around it. We visited POFQ. It was much smaller, but not as nice as PORS. We also visited Coronado Springs. It is very convention oriented and lacks some Disney magic. I have not been to CB.
The moderates overall have some advantages. They have a table service option. (PORS and POFQ share one.) The theme is more sophisticated than the values. I don't see any noticable difference in mousekeeping or overal cleanliness. The bus system is just as good at either one. The biggest difference seems to be quietness, table service availability, and, perhaps, pool options.
Is it worth the upgrade? Yes. It's a change of pace. However, I would check into the price difference between a moderate and a standard room at AKL or WL.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Visiting a resort and staying at the resort are two different things. We all know what opinions are like, the only way for the OP to know for him/herself would be to actually try a resort and make up their own mind.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

True, visiting and staying at are two different things. I agree. Never judge a book by its cover. I did read an interesting take on Coronado Springs I'd never considered. If you want a less kid resort, CSR would be good. I'd pick it over any Value, CBR, or the Swan/Dolphin.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I just returned last month from CSR and it was fantastic! I have now stayed in all four moderate resorts and CSR is at the top! You should check out my trip report for some pics and comments of CSR ... :)

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Hi WVDISNEYFAMILY:

I hear what your saying, about checking on price. I booked my vacation through AAA for 8 days and 8 nights and gotten price quotes for all three. let me explain:

For The POP Century with DDP $1,946

For The PORS with DDP $2,376

For the Wilderness Lodge with DDP $3,495

Due to out budget the moderate made the most sence and we just love staying at PORS. We we were considering staying at the POP but when the wife and I seen the price differance it made a lot of sence to stay at the moderate which was well in our budget. As you can see the Wilderness Lodge was a little more and out of our budget. We have stayed there before and love it. We are planning for 2012 to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for 10 day and 10 nights. We are taking my Grandson on his very first trip to Disney. He will be five years old and I can't wait to see Disney through his eyes. I will tell you that being younger Grandparents does have it's advantages. Also we informed Daughter Dearest an Son-in Law (Good Man) that this trip is for grandparents only. My daughter knows we have been going to Disney since she was little and have taken her there and did some really magical things with her. She fully understands and can't wait to see what we have in store and our planning for my Grandson Jack. We did tell here we would love to take a tripo the year after as one huge family with her Husbands poarents and sister invited to come along. I thought that would be a really neat thing to do.

Upvote 0

PalisadesPkteer

Hello Buzz2001.

Have you gone to Lake Compounce yet? I live just 2 to 2.5 miles from the park.

http://www.lakecompounce.com/

I agree that visiting and staying at resorts are 2 different things.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderates. Lets face it, if you are at WDW then you are in a VERY GOOD PLACE! No matter which resort your at.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

We love POR. We have stayed there many times and have even stayed in the same room two years in a row. To me it is the most "deluxe" of the mods and its the only that have water taxi srevice to a destination. I have stayed at and visited CBR before and its a big resort. So big infact that if your at the far buildings you have to take the bus to the food court. Coronado is a nice looking resort but I have not stayed there. The food court is different and is more of a full service than a food court. I still consider the food court at PoP the best and the pool at CBR excelent but again overall my choice is POR.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

We are TIW holders so it is a plus that they do not have table service as the QS gives us a discount. If we feel like TS, we could always walk to PORS.

The food court at POR also takes the TIW discount. We figured out that many counter service/food courts and even sit down restuaunts take the TIW card even though they are not on the list so we always ask.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Hi WVDISNEYFAMILY:

I hear what your saying, about checking on price. I booked my vacation through AAA for 8 days and 8 nights and gotten price quotes for all three. let me explain:

For The POP Century with DDP $1,946

For The PORS with DDP $2,376

For the Wilderness Lodge with DDP $3,495

Due to out budget the moderate made the most sence and we just love staying at PORS. We we were considering staying at the POP but when the wife and I seen the price differance it made a lot of sence to stay at the moderate which was well in our budget. As you can see the Wilderness Lodge was a little more and out of our budget. We have stayed there before and love it. We are planning for 2012 to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for 10 day and 10 nights. We are taking my Grandson on his very first trip to Disney. He will be five years old and I can't wait to see Disney through his eyes. I will tell you that being younger Grandparents does have it's advantages. Also we informed Daughter Dearest an Son-in Law (Good Man) that this trip is for grandparents only. My daughter knows we have been going to Disney since she was little and have taken her there and did some really magical things with her. She fully understands and can't wait to see what we have in store and our planning for my Grandson Jack. We did tell here we would love to take a tripo the year after as one huge family with her Husbands poarents and sister invited to come along. I thought that would be a really neat thing to do.

I love the WL. A lot of people say the price difference between a mod and a deluxe isn't worth it, but the price difference between the mod and the value is. I think the price difference is worth it no matter the upgrade. I would certainly stay in a value before staying off property, but I think that resorts are one of those you get what you for types of things. We've stayed at every level and found the differences to be worth it. Either way, you will love PORS and the WL. Those are our two favorites. Your grandson will LOVE the WL. It is the fave of kids according to the guidebooks.

Upvote 0
Hi! We are just back from a week at CS. It was our first time staying there, and I wasn't sure what to expect. After staying Deluxe for many years, we were a little apprehensive about the mods, but the price was so great we couldn't justify spending more! And I'm so glad we didn't: CS was fantastic! The grounds are beautiful, the food court was good, and the rooms were much nicer than the other mods we've stayed at (CBR-which I loved-,POR, POFQ). The pool was absolutely fantastic and the playground for kids was top of the line. The rooms were very comfortable with two queen beds (essential for my DH and DS, both over 6' tall!). Bus service was the best I've seen at any resort. Do yourself and your family a favor and stay at CS! We loved the Cabanas section; it was close to everything.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

For me it's a toss up between POR and CB.

POR is going to have more of that family with kids feel than CB. I like that, as I have kids :) While PO:R is big, it's not as big as CB and there seems to be more to do there.

CB on the other hand is great, very relaxing, and I found no problems with the busses, except for one thing. This is ONLY because of the way I spend my last day at WDW. I like to hang out at the pool, eat dinner at the resort, and then hang out in the resort till my DME bus comes to pick me up - basicly go home relaxed. Because check out and the DME pick up is over in the Customs house, that plan did not work. I hung out at the pool, ate, and then had to catch an internal bus to the customs house, where there is absolutely nothing to do except wait. (plus I had to run through a monsoon at the time) If you have a car, or are using some other sort of plan on your last day, then of course thats no big deal.

-dave

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

Hi! We are just back from a week at CS. It was our first time staying there, and I wasn't sure what to expect. After staying Deluxe for many years, we were a little apprehensive about the mods, but the price was so great we couldn't justify spending more! And I'm so glad we didn't: CS was fantastic! The grounds are beautiful, the food court was good, and the rooms were much nicer than the other mods we've stayed at (CBR-which I loved-,POR, POFQ). The pool was absolutely fantastic and the playground for kids was top of the line. The rooms were very comfortable with two queen beds (essential for my DH and DS, both over 6' tall!). Bus service was the best I've seen at any resort. Do yourself and your family a favor and stay at CS! We loved the Cabanas section; it was close to everything.
Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip!!

Upvote 0

DisneyRunner

My family has stayed at POFQ, POR and CSR. There was something about CSR that didn't feel right. I can't explain it. I can tell you, I found the layout of the bus service confusing. For my family the preference is PO.

Upvote 0
We have stayed at POR and CS and all of the values and truthfully we didnt like Corando at all and would prefer even a value over it. It's a beautiful resort, and thats about where the good things ended for us. Food is outrageously expensive, the layout is quite cumbersome and leave you wishing for more direct pathways to your room and to the buses/front area, cant control your own room temperature (they use an energy miser that pretty much takes what you set your thermostat to and laughs at it while you sweat your bum off), and the place really felt like a convention center -- not a family resort. Too many suit wearing people talking business and being fake for me, I go on vacation to get away from that stuff!

Riverside, however, is our favorite! We've stayed there twice now (and I had stayed there a few times before with family) and we love it. Great atmosphere, nice rooms with thermostats that actually take into consideration what you would like, the river and boat transportation give it a nice bonus, and we really just love going there. Even when we stay at the values we always seem to wander over to POR to spend a few hours at some point during the trip.

Upvote 0

DisneyRunner

My family also wonders over to PO, if not staying there. This year we are doing a split stay POR/All-Stars. My husband says he is going to get his weeks worth out of the one night at POR. He likes the boat ride, too.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom