MM+ Why we can't have nice things.

WDWDad13

And this is why you are being dismissed, because you are clearly hostile towards anything that challenges your notions of Disney parks. Disney's reaction to Euro Disney is well documented, as well as the costs associated with fixing the parks built with the "build just enough" strategy. FastPass and MyMagic+ are both byproducts of that reaction, but that connection is not as widely discussed. So yes, that would be 20 years and billions of dollars.

You are really saying Disney tries to do other things to avoid building theme park attractions?!? Wow. You guys are really trying too hard these days lol

CDavid

You're telling me Disney has spent 20 years a billions of dollars just to "try and avoid building theme park attractions".

C'mon now....THAT is ridiculous. What a bunch of hogwash or is hogsmeade? lol

Maybe it sounds ridiculous on the surface, but it is indeed an accurate assessment. Disney is perfectly willing to use parks & resorts as the company ATM while making the absolute minimum investment and, based largely on the legacy of the Disney we once knew, they've been fairly successful. Remember this is the company which neglected Disneyland maintenance to the point safety was compromised, and built a half-baked theme-park next door that they actually believed would be just "good enough" to satisfy the public and keep the dollars flowing. It's also the same Disney which hasn't built an attraction in World Showcase in the lifetime of anyone past college age. Now, the strategy is to milk more money out of guests who are coming anyway, with the idea they'll (somehow, mysteriously) make more money from giving adults colored bracelets than exciting new attractions.

The NGE budget represents a lot of potential park investment. Even if Magic Bands were the greatest thing since sliced bread (and has anyone seriously suggested they are that good?), people visit theme parks for attractions and other experiences, not a flashy way of entering the park and buying things.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

You are really saying Disney tries to do other things to avoid building theme park attractions?!? Wow. You guys are really trying too hard these days lol
Magic Your Way tickets and Disney's Magical Express are 2 obvious ways that Disney has tried to manipulate guests into not leaving WDW instead of the old fashion way of simply building compelling attractions. MM+ is just an extension of that philosophy. WDW takes pride in turning a profit without having to spend money on attractions, no matter how much it costs them.

SirOinksALot

Magic Your Way tickets and Disney's Magical Express are 2 obvious ways that Disney has tried to manipulate guests into not leaving WDW instead of the old fashion way of simply building compelling attractions. MM+ is just an extension of that philosophy. WDW takes pride in turning a profit without having to spend money on attractions, no matter how much it costs them.
Add DVC to that list. Once you sign that 40 year contract, they don't have to build a single thing to make you come back.

Merry Christmas.
Whatever it takes to get the dinging off the top of the page.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Yeah, surrounded by parks, cheap APs, surrounded by food, and DVCers just stay and don't take advantage of any of those. Right.

What hotel company wouldn't want rooms already booked for 2037?

Cheap APs? The prices are so high the DVC discount is not even worth it. After years of a DVC AP I have dumped mine in favor of Uni, where new rides are and APs are reasonably priced. There is a good reason DVC PAP were such low cost last year and it was not just to be nice.

SirOinksALot

Wow...as a DVC member, I take it you don't know how DVC works huh?
Please, enlighten me on how signing a contract to come back for 40-50 years doesn't affect the amount of investment it takes to get someone to come visit again.

Cheap APs? The prices are so high the DVC discount is not even worth it. After years of a DVC AP I have dumped mine in favor of Uni, where new rides are and APs are reasonably priced. There is a good reason DVC PAP were such low cost last year and it was not just to be nice.
Perhaps my idea of cheap is skewed. Relative to the regular renewal rate, it's cheap.

Just looked, yeah, 419 versus 552. Cheap.

WDWDad13

Please, enlighten me on how signing a contract to come back for 40-50 years doesn't affect the amount of investment it takes to get someone to come visit again.

Perhaps my idea of cheap is skewed. Relative to the regular renewal rate, it's cheap.

Easy....you don't have to use it for Disney or even in Florida for that matter....plus you can rent it out to others if you don't want to go

This is what I'm talking about. Some of you people just like to throw any negative stuff out there to see what sticks when in reality it's mostly things some of you know little about, especially the facts

SirOinksALot

Easy....you don't have to use it for Disney or even in Florida for that matter....plus you can rent it out to others if you don't want to go

This is what I'm talking about. Some of you people just like to throw any negative stuff out there to see what sticks when in reality it's mostly things some of you know little about, especially the facts
I bolded the important part - you can rent it to people who show up and buy park tickets.

I know it's useable outside WDW. It's still a long term retention tactic.

WDWDad13

I bolded the important part - you can rent it to people who show up and buy park tickets.

I know it's useable outside WDW. It's still a long term retention tactic.

How dare they!

If only they tried to do everything to make everyone happy and listened to the experts on wdwmagic forums

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Please, enlighten me on how signing a contract to come back for 40-50 years doesn't affect the amount of investment it takes to get someone to come visit again

You are assuming all of those guests would even consider not coming back year after year if they didn't buy into DVC. A bad assumption. Your assumption is that Disney had a group of guests who may have come back for years to come or may not have but they got those guests to buy DVC so now they are forced to come back. The reality is the vast majority of those guests still would have come back anyway. Would some of them have stayed at a moderate or value resort instead of a deluxe? Maybe for some trips, but they still would have come back even if Disney didn't add much new or they raised prices at 4Xs the inflation rate like the last 2 years. It's a fan forum urban legend that DVC owners are chained to WDW and have signed their life away for the next 50 years. As others have stated there are other ways to use DVC (including as a base to visit the boy wizard). If those things don't interest owners there is a very active resale market so as soon as they don't like the product or decide to not go back you could sell.

Another reason the theory that DVC allows WDW to skip new investments in the parks because they have a captive audience doesn't hold water is that DVC isn't a large enough percentage of total rooms. There are roughly 3,000 DVC rooms out of close to 30,000 total WDW rooms so the total only makes up about 10% of rooms. When you factor in locals and guests staying off property DVC owners make up less than 10% of all guests. It makes no sense for a company to ignore 90% of its customers because 10% have been "locked in".

WDWDad13

I can imagine far worse strategies for a business than listening to its customers and giving them what they want with the value and standards they have come to expect.

They take PLENTY of surveys....us here are just a small (negative) sampling

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom