MM+ Why we can't have nice things.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The privacy blowback begins, Disney's lack of transparency is going to bite them HARD, TWDC could have avoided if they had been more upfront with location data usage and/or created a 'Where is my Party' function just lile BOOST mobile allows you to find your designated buddies.

With this coming on top of new NSA tracking tools for iPhones and the like it's not going to be pretty.
Is there a link to this privacy blowback?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm looking for one - LA media sites are buzzing about this but no link to video or text so far and you know I always provide links if I can find them.
I'm just curious if it's a real story with any meat or the fluff we have seen so far. I did a quick search and found 2 recent articles on gawker and daily mail but neither could be what you are talking about.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The privacy blowback begins, Disney's lack of transparency is going to bite them HARD, TWDC could have avoided if they had been more upfront with location data usage and/or created a 'Where is my Party' function just lile BOOST mobile allows you to find your designated buddies.

With this coming on top of new NSA tracking tools for iPhones and the like it's not going to be pretty.

It's interesting that patent Universal filed for a MyMagic+ like system does mention a feature for uniting members of a party.

AEfx

I'm just curious if it's a real story with any meat or the fluff we have seen so far. I did a quick search and found 2 recent articles on gawker and daily mail but neither could be what you are talking about.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some media hub-bub about it, as anything Disney becomes Le Scandale even when it's as innocuous as can be, but it doesn't have any meat or teeth. Unfortunately, it's a "sexy" enough of a topic to drown out any of the truths about why it really is bad - monumental waste of funds with little actual benefit to either the guests or their bottom line. It's the crushing blow of the Disney Mom's era (and, the only good thing about it is it will bring that to an end - if it hasn't really signed the death warrant already - but that's kind of like taking the patient to the brink of death in order to cure a simple communicable disease you could have wiped out in a lot less dramatic way with just some anti-biotics).

There is a fine line between vigilance and paranoia, and the Magic Band squarely stands in the paranoia section. It is as safe or safer a payment method than a Key To The World card already was, especially as you lose it there is no identifiable information written on it.

As far as tracking you within the parks, it's really nothing that wasn't really already going on. There are already sensors everywhere to count folks walking in and out of a bathroom. They already were creating buying profiles of people based on their KTTW and their individual credit card use. There is nothing going on here really that wasn't going on in some form or other before - and really, if someone cares so much about Disney taking bathroom counts, they really have bigger things to worry about (this is actually, oddly enough - a benefit, so they know how popular a certain restroom is so they can keep them better maintained, one of the few places at WDW that doesn't seem affected by budget cuts).

But it won't stop the paranoid from being paranoid. Just like folks that won't pay their bills online electronically directly to a company, because "it's not safe" and would rather write a check. A check with all your personal info written on it, including direct access to your bank account, that passes through a minimum of dozens of hands before it gets to a payment processing center (that processes payments for 100's of companies), where a minimum-wage worker opens the envelope, scans it through a scanner, and the bill is then...paid electronically. You just trust/hope they dispose of the paper check in a responsible manner. But they will never understand that - they just have it in their heads that online = bad and scary, just like here - Disney isn't tracking anything of importance to anyone but Disney, but people will continue to have fantasy theories about it and spend more time making a stink about a vacation resort knowing how many people use it's facilities than than they are the real places in life our actual civil liberties that matter are being accosted on a daily basis.

The Empress Lilly

I'm looking for one - LA media sites are buzzing about this but no link to video or text so far and you know I always provide links if I can find them.
Here you go, Time features a brief alarmi(st)/(ng) article this week:

Now Disney Can Track Your Every Move with NSA-Style Wristbands
Big Brother's got mouse ears

Read more: Disney Magic Bands Wristbands Track You Like the NSA | TIME.com http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/02/disney-nsa-style-magic-bands-theme-park/#ixzz2pacaj5pu

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If Disney wanted to they could have tracked me before Magic Bands. I used fast passes tied to my room key, charged meals and snacks in the park, and used my key to entry my room. Maybe not NSA style tracking, but it could of been very detailed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
All rational people acknowledge that before Disney could build quite a detailed profile on what you did in park by tracking ticket/kttw/cc usage, What they have done now is developed a system which gives your realtime position 24x7 while on Disney property.

Obviously details are shrouded in mystery at the moment but based on the FCC filings it seems to be based on the Open Beacon protocol which is quite similar to Apple's iBeacon system

Details here http://www.openbeacon.org/

It's the constant monitoring of your location which many find beyond creepy especially since Disney is not disclosing who has access to data and how data is used.

The old trust us we are from $RANDOM_WELL_KNOWN_ORGANIZATION model, Well the NSA scandal kind of tossed that blind trust of large organizations out the window.

Which on many levels is a bad thing because societies need a degree of bi-directional trust to succeed basically the USG said to all residents and citizens 'you are a threat to USG' we don't trust you so we will spy on you.

I don't think the consequences to civil society as a whole have even begun to take their final shape but I don't think it will be good because citizens will now reflexively oppose anything govt wants to do because they will no longer trust the govt's motive for any action it wants to take.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here you go, Time features a brief alarmi(st)/(ng) article this week:

Now Disney Can Track Your Every Move with NSA-Style Wristbands
Big Brother's got mouse ears

Read more: Disney Magic Bands Wristbands Track You Like the NSA | TIME.com http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/02/disney-nsa-style-magic-bands-theme-park/#ixzz2pacaj5pu

This article has also made it to The Voice of Russia. What I find particularly amusing is the picture they chose to accompany the article.

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_...ery-move-with-new-NSA-style-Magic-Bands-0137/

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It will pop up on a bunch of sites, some people will be concerned about it, but then it will, IMHO, quickly be forgotten. People accept far worse invasions of their privacy then what MyMagic+ will allow without batting an eye.

Ordinarily I'd agree but with the Guardian and NYT slowly spooling out a new 'NSA Papers' revelation every 6 weeks or so I don't think that $SPYING_ON_X stories are going to be so quickly forgotten. Recall the last batch was how NSA was intercepting computers before delivery to compromise them and how iPhones and WiFi have been compromised remotely.

I live in a farming town and I usually grab breakfast at the local diner and I assure you people ARE talking about this and this is from a crowd who is usually talking about Weather/Sports/Price of Feed/Pounds of milk per cow.
yes we are a Dairy community my town has 3000 people and 15,000 or so dairy cows.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's the same crappy five paragraph piece that says nothing that has been circulating for almost a year now.

Agree but it's been around for a year and that is significant in and of itself, In the past this would have been good for 2 weeks tops before it was forgotten. USG made sure stuff like this has legs, whoopsie!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agree but it's been around for a year and that is significant in and of itself, In the past this would have been good for 2 weeks tops before it was forgotten. USG made sure stuff like this has legs, whoopsie!

Bleh... it's still rolling out... and changing.. making new spikes in interest. It will be hard to declare this 'finished'.. but then having it coming back over and over would be notable. But honestly at this point it's regurgitation of empty articles on page 18... about a new service that has been rolling out for 6+months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom