MLB 2013

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
This was/is on the video display on the outside of Yankee Stadium:

NYYDisplay.jpg

And during the moment of silence, on the big screen, the badge reads "New York Stands with Boston" around the top, and "Pray for Boston" around the bottom.

NYDNCover.jpg

(Sox fans can probably figure out that's Kevin Youkilis standing next to the N)

Much is made of the rivalry, and some make a bit too much out of it (like Bobby V), but the organizations, and the more level-headed fans, have a lot of respect for each other. The Yankees & Red Sox have done some cool things together over the years when they host each other. A few years ago, the Red Sox came up with a promotion with Amtrak called "The Legends Train"; a number of Sox and Yankees old timers (Luis Tiant, Jim Rice, Goose Gossage) rode an Amtrak train from Boston to NY when the teams were playing in the Bronx, and the Sox had a contest for fans to win seats on the train (and at the game) and hang out with the legends. They also do what they call a "Rivalry Breakfast" for sponsors, where they have former players at a panel discussion and attendees can ask questions of the players. I was lucky to get to go to two of those breakfasts.

Boston is a great city and its people are tough and resilient. Terrible events only serve to bring us all closer and reinforce each other.

Darth Tater

Well done, NYY.

Boston rallied behind NYC after September 11th, 2001...and now NYC is rallying behind Boston after Monday's marathon tragedy.

Behind all the battles, lines in the sand, & smack-talk of any good sports rivalry...we are all still on the same team.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Well done, NYY.

Boston rallied behind NYC after September 11th, 2001...and now NYC is rallying behind Boston after Monday's marathon tragedy.

Behind all the battles, lines in the sand, & smack-talk of any good sports rivalry...we are all still on the same team.

I like to think of the relationship between New York and Boston as "sibling rivalry", probably even as far back as the American Revolution. :) Lower Manhattan is a completely different place now (although, as Nicolas Cage showed us, there are still traces of the Revolution to be found if you try hard enough ;) ). But that history can be seen and felt in Boston--I love to walk around there and soak it all in.

As you say, @Darth Tater, NYPD is returning the favor that Boston extended 11 years ago, especially in law enforcement. This is from today's Daily News:

Port Authority and NYPD cops landed in Boston Wednesday to give food, drink and emotional support to investigators working at the explosion sites. About 10 cops from each agency were working out of trailers parked at Berkeley and Boylston Sts. — near the twin bombings.​
The group of officers were handing out coffee and lunch to investigators still working the blood-stained sidewalk. “We were able to put a team of volunteers together and do it as quick as possible,” said Ray Butler, a Port Authority cop. “Our department has, unfortunately, been down this road.”
Boston authorities provided throngs of uniformed volunteers to New York after the World Trade Center attacks. “They sent their crew down to us on Sept. 11 and they were tremendous,” Patrick Lynch, president of the city’s Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, said by phone from Beantown.​

Lynch said the officers’ experiences in dealing with tragedy can only help. “It’s our way to say, ‘Thank you for what you did for us. You gave us your shoulder. Now here’s our shoulder.’ ”

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
So tomorrow I'm going to the game! @raven24 I get to see your Dodgers vs. my Orioles! I don't remember the last time I saw these teams go up against each other, or if I've ever seen them against each other, so it should be interesting. May the best team win. Hopefully that will be my Orioles;)

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
So I go all the way down to the ballpark, get dinner, and have it start raining. Then the game gets postponed. So now I'll go all the way back down tomorrow. And then again on Sunday. I'm going to be exhausted by the time this weekend is over...

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
After being behind 4-0, the Orioles came back and won 7-5 in the first game of today's double header. Tonight they will play the Dodgers again.

In other news, the LA Angels scored 9 runs in the first inning against Detroit and won 10-0o_O. Er, Detroit, what the heck happened?

jw24

Well, I may get some hate but the truth is, I'm a Yankees fan. They've been my team ever since I first started watching baseball. So today's win against Toronto was interesting to say the least. Kuroda is pitching beautifully though Robertson laid an egg in the eighth. Wells is just killing it against one of his former team. I know Boston has gone through a lot this week but man, I watched David Ortiz's pregame speech and as much as I dislike the Red Sox and Big Papi, it was short but rousing words of encouragement for the city.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Well, I may get some hate but the truth is, I'm a Yankees fan. They've been my team ever since I first started watching baseball. So today's win against Toronto was interesting to say the least. Kuroda is pitching beautifully though Robertson laid an egg in the eighth. Wells is just killing it against one of his former team. I know Boston has gone through a lot this week but man, I watched David Ortiz's pregame speech and as much as I dislike the Red Sox and Big Papi, it was short but rousing words of encouragement for the city.
You won't get bashed here; there's other Yankees fans, plus we're all too nice to do that. We'll bash your team though, lol. We'll tell you how much the Yankees suck, I'll crack some jokes about how you need to come back from the dark side, but you won't get attacked. It's all friendly here.:)

Boston definitely needs some encouragement from their team. I don't like the Red Sox either (except when they're playing the Yankees or otherwise benefiting my team) but I gotta say, baseball takes my mind off the crap in life and that's what they need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom