MLB 2013

Darth Tater

Hey Miami...what gives??
Did anybody else see the (lack of) crowds at the Marlin's stadium this week? It's opening week for them at home, and I'd be surprised if the stadium was even 1/4 full. :eek: It's only the sophomore year for this new stadium, and there seems to be less in attendance than there were in the old stadium. Granted, the Marlin's didn't exactly have a stellar season last yr, and they aren't doing too hot in 2013, and they did lose a lot of their star power over the offseason...but still. I've seen more people at a high school game than at the Marlin's stadium for opening week.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Marlins' poor record, as the old stadium seemed empty during opening week...the year after they won the friggin' World Series. Maybe it's just a Miami thing. LeBron James & the Miami Heat's excellent record this yr isn't exactly selling out basketball games. Perhaps Miami isn't really into the pro sports scene. o_O

BenSmith

I know they just built a new stadium, but the market in Miami just doesn't seem to be there. I think a move to either New Orleans or Indianapolis would be a smart move.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Hey Miami...what gives??
Did anybody else see the (lack of) crowds at the Marlin's stadium this week? It's opening week for them at home, and I'd be surprised if the stadium was even 1/4 full. :eek: It's only the sophomore year for this new stadium, and there seems to be less in attendance than there were in the old stadium. Granted, the Marlin's didn't exactly have a stellar season last yr, and they aren't doing too hot in 2013, and they did lose a lot of their star power over the offseason...but still. I've seen more people at a high school game than at the Marlin's stadium for opening week.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Marlins' poor record, as the old stadium seemed empty during opening week...the year after they won the friggin' World Series. Maybe it's just a Miami thing. LeBron James & the Miami Heat's excellent record this yr isn't exactly selling out basketball games. Perhaps Miami isn't really into the pro sports scene. o_O
I noticed the same thing with the Tampa Bay opening day game. I guess Florida isn't a baseball state unless it's spring trainingo_O

Uncle Remus

I noticed the same thing with the Tampa Bay opening day game. I guess Florida isn't a baseball state unless it's spring trainingo_O

Most people here are transplants or are the offspring of transplants. They pull for the teams they grew up rooting for. Tons of baseball fans here, just not for the "home teams". The closest team to Floridians forever was the Braves which is why they have such a large contingency down here.

I'm a 7th generation Floridian. My family was never into baseball, mostly football, but I was a kid when the Marlins came about and have been a fan since day one. It's quite possibly the most mismanaged franchise in sports and the ownership has a prickly relationship with the fans. People kind of boycott them down there.

Uncle Remus

Hey Miami...what gives??

It's more of a football town. People go to Heat games just to say they did. Fans aren't into it as much as they should be. It's annoying.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Um, what in the world was with that Dodgers/Padres game?o_O I blame the guy who got hit for the whole thing. There's no reason to start a fight on the field. None. Completely ridiculous.

Darth Tater

Um, what in the world was with that Dodgers/Padres game?o_O I blame the guy who got hit for the whole thing.
I blame Meg.
paranoid.gif

Darth Tater

Powerhouse series for the NL East kicking off tonight in the nation's capitol. The 8-1 Atlanta Braves will face the 7-2 Washington Nationals in a 3-game series. Either of these two teams could easily win the division this year (and the NL pennant). This weekend's series should be quite interesting.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Powerhouse series for the NL East kicking off tonight in the nation's capital. The 8-1 Atlanta Braves will face the 7-2 Washington Nationals in a 3-game series. Either of these two teams could easily win the division this year (and the NL pennant). This weekend's series should be quite interesting.
Go Nats:)

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I thought the Nats were the Orioles' hated rivals. :confused:
Not really. Just on the Beltway battle every year. But we don't really worry about them unless we're playing them. We don't even play in the same league, so it's not a huge deal. We were actually happy when Washington got a team because it meant Baltimore went back on our away jerseys. We get sick of Washington putting their name on our stuff, our airport, etc. There's more of a Redskins/Ravens rivalry, if you can even call it that since the Redskins stink, than there is an Orioles/Nats rivalry. But it depends on the person. I'm a Nats fan.

In general, the Orioles hate the Yankees. The Red Sox are the next most hated team, but I actually have more respect for their organization, and their fans tend to be more polite when they visit. The Yankees fans are just obnoxious and annoying and regularly attempt to take over our ballpark, even when they are losing. I don't mind some cheering if your team does something, but trying to take over another team's stadium is just ridiculous. Toronto and Tampa Bay are less hated, especially Tampa Bay. Most of us celebrated at the end of 2011 when the Red Sox were out and Tampa was in because we knocked them in.

Interestingly enough, the Orioles own the broadcasting rights for the Nats. They are the only team that does not own their own broadcasting rights. The creation of the Nats led to a new broadcasting channel, MASN (Midatlantic Sports Network). Something about the station saying that they would lose viewing rights if the Nats came, but in order to gain some support, they show both here. The only thing that drives me crazy is that we have 2 MASN channels, and they don't reserve one for the Nats and one for the Orioles, so it's a guessing game of which team is playing on what channel.

BenSmith

I actually like the Orioles, have a lot of respect for their organization. I also live about 10 minutes away from Norfolk, Virginia where their AAA team the Tides is located. I was a fan of Matt Weiters before it was cool :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom