MK Themed parties...ripping off regular customers?

While I definetly think that adding more PPP was a money-making move, I think Disney had pretty decent intentions with creating more MNSSHP and MVMCP dates, those parties are so popular and well-liked that they sell out quickly, adding more dates let more people have the chance to experiance them and they make some money along the way.

KingStefan

Disney did a good job earlier on planning the parties so that it only took away a few hours from regular ticket guests, and spreading them out kindly.

The schedule now is a bit rediculous, though. They are pushing the envelope to maximize profits, which after all is what you would expect, but I think they've pushed too far, and I'm afraid it's going to hurt their appeal.

Some people suggested buying one less day of tickets. However, if you're on MYW for more than four days, it really doesn't help. My last trip, for example, I had 9 days. If I bought 8 days, I would have saved $2. So the day we chose to go to P&PP, we did the parks earlier as well. Two days we went to water parks with the intention of hitting another park for a few hours later, since the incremental cost is almost nothing, and we ended up using only 8 days anyway, but I was OK with that.

The thing is when they have P&PP in, for example, August, and it takes away the flexibility you need to plan, it's not very nice. Last trip we missed Wishes altogether, because it only played once or twice while we were there, and the day we planned it was cancelled for weather. It's just not right.

As I said, planning parties on days in, say, Oct., on a park day when closing was to be at 8 and wishes wasn't planned anyway - no problem. But they're really going overboard now with these hard-ticket events.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If you feel that Disney's customer service sucks because they set up a planned party event that's provided to the public at least 6-7 months in advance, then that's up to you. But if someone is really going to have a hissy-fit because they didn't plan their vacation well enough--again; not Disney's problem. There are three other parks on property, two water parks, and a downtown district. If people truly feel "ripped off" then they can go to Universal, Bush Gardens, etc.

Mmmmmm how long have you worked for Disneys PR. You seem very dismissive of issues that I and others have raised especially as it seems that the main thrust of your argument is based on your own tinted view of the world.

I feel that as a consumer, share holder and frequent guest I am perfectly entitled to air my views on a forum such as this. Even if it is not to the liking of the usual ubber fans and Travel critic , whos latest book, Well It works for Me, is a best seller in his house.

Ho hum.....

Oh and some of us do go to the other parks anyway.

Mmmmmm how long have you worked for Disneys PR. You seem very dismissive of issues that I and others have raised especially as it seems that the main thrust of your argument is based on your own tinted view of the world.

I feel that as a consumer, share holder and frequent guest I am perfectly entitled to air my views on a forum such as this. Even if it is not to the liking of the usual ubber fans and Travel critic , whos latest book, Well It works for Me, is a best seller in his house.

Ho hum.....

Oh and some of us do go to the other parks anyway .

Can you picture walking into City Hall and getting that kind of response? "Well if you don't like it, go to Universal!" That would certainly go over real well and be a jewel in Disney's guest service crown. It's rather interesting to see how these hardcore Disney-philes could care less about the park experiance of the casual visitor. Maybe that's why the casual visitors remain casual visitors because they aren't impressed at the way things are handled.

LaughingGravy

Our first trip was in 1977. Based on printed literature we had at the time (pre internet) the MK was only open until 10 or 11 PM sometimes in the summer.

Our trips were in the fall, with our parents taking us out of school, as it was affordable that way and we were good students, well good enough anyway. :rolleyes:
We were very lucky to always stay on site, making reservations about a year in advance because that was the only way to get on site prior to the mega hotel building of the Eisner era.
The MK closed at 7 most of the time. There are vivid and happy memories of spending evenings wandering around the Contemporary itself as well as the Fiesta Fun Center, with the shooting gallery and the movie theater, with the little orange shaped plastic juice containers you could buy at the snack bar, of which we could only get one per trip to WDW because that was a lot of money for a little ball of orange juice.

Some things never change.

The Mom

Premium Member
Please stop the arguing, you two, as the rest of us would like to discuss this in a relatively civil fashion. Thank you.

barbara

I've went to the PP&P last August, we had a blast. We only had 3 day passes (not park hopper)so we were good with the price. If you don't have a ticket for the parks that day, its a great value, but if you do have passes, its not so great. That day we went to Downtown Disney, went swimming, visted other Disney areas where we didn't need a ticket. After 4 we went to MK. But when I go and have a MYW pass-paying another $50 a person is way too much. I think if you have a MYW pass, they should charge you less for the parties-maybe half the price would be more affordable.

I've went to the PP&P last August, we had a blast. We only had 3 day passes (not park hopper)so we were good with the price. If you don't have a ticket for the parks that day, its a great value, but if you do have passes, its not so great. That day we went to Downtown Disney, went swimming, visted other Disney areas where we didn't need a ticket. After 4 we went to MK. But when I go and have a MYW pass-paying another $50 a person is way too much. I think if you have a MYW pass, they should charge you less for the parties-maybe half the price would be more affordable.

That's really not a bad idea, make it something of an upgrade, you pay X amount to add the party on to your MYW tickets. Similar to what they do with water parks or Disney quest.

LoriMistress

Ho hum.....

Oh and some of us do go to the other parks anyway.

If you feel you're being ripped off as a consumer, then complain to Disney directly instead of complaining about it on a message board. If Disney ignores your complaint, then it's up to YOU on how you would like to spend your money. If you feel this passionately about it, then stop visiting Disney.

On my previous threads, I have addressed your "points." Just because I don't agree with your point of view, doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge what you've written. I'm not sure if you're having a bad day, but you might want to cool off before you start posting. When it comes down to it, you're just words on a screen.

Like you even said:
Who cares, Im way past being regular.

Chape19714

I've been to all the Parties, and PPP is definately the best in my opinion. I can also say from a Cast perspective, It's awesome! Party nights are so much fun to work, I often ASK to work those nights. As a guest, they are also a great time. Sorry to do it, but I'm gonna call Hannah Montana to help on this one: "Life's what you make it". If you think Disney is ripping you off, that you are bound to have a bad time; however, if you look at it as an entirely new way to experiance the Magic Kingdom after normal hours, you may find it amazing.

NEmickeyfan

I, too, have thought that it wasn't quite fair to pay for a days's ticket to MK, only to be kicked out at 7PM for the special event parties or cough up the extra bucks to stay for the party. But, I have found there are ways around it, if you plan in advance. I have attended a the special event on the day I arrive to fill up that evening. Or, I have spent the day at AK (which closes earlier than other parks) and then jetted over to the special event at MK. If you check the calander on the Disney web site, then you can adjust your schedule to maximize your park time.

I find that checking the calandar and carefully planning my days really helps to maximize my time and get the biggest bang for my buck. Unfortunately, the price increase for the special event parties may change how many and which ones I will attend.

Remember, 50 million of your best friends and you visit Disney parks each year..... Be patient, be tolerant and HAVE A BLAST!!!!

Dwarful

My one geniune complaint would be this:
For Summertime P&P Parties skip the chocolate coins. There were some pretty rude people smearing melted chocolate on handrails, in Minnies House at Toontown, on park benches..it was a gross, melted mess. I felt sorry for those who fell victim to these idiots by sitting or touching something unexpectedly. I also felt bad for the CM's who had to clean up after them! Chocolate coins, warm weather & little velvet bags just don't mix well.

tigfan

Can you picture walking into City Hall and getting that kind of response? "Well if you don't like it, go to Universal!" That would certainly go over real well and be a jewel in Disney's guest service crown. It's rather interesting to see how these hardcore Disney-philes could care less about the park experiance of the casual visitor. Maybe that's why the casual visitors remain casual visitors because they aren't impressed at the way things are handled.

:sohappy: Well said!!

Sadly, that is ever-increasingly the attitude of Disney CMs it seems.

Meanwhile, Universal does seem to be getting better and better, and I've heard they pay their employees better than Disney does, which I think is evident in the quality of service.

ELopez

I don't agree with the idea that "if you don't like it - take your money somewhere else".

When I have been a customer of a company (or a guest, in this case), I don't give up that easily. And if I have spent many of my dollars there already, I think that gives me the right to at least voice my disapproval. I don't boycott a place simply because they've made a change that I don't like. I like to think (although I'm sure it isn't always the case) that my opinion matters. This method has often worked for me.

Are the parties a rip-off? I guess that's just a matter of opinion. We have not attended any (and don't plan to), because - as a family of 6 - it hurts the budget too much. I do feel sorry for the average guest who - IMO - isn't aware of them. I think many people (I use to be one of them) plan to visit Orlando & WDW, make ressies at a local hotel and show up at the parks. Time will tell if Disney agrees or not.

KingStefan

Yet another dissatisfied customer. See item five in the OP of this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=310879

I happen to think that the hard-ticket events are a great idea for many reasons. However, even people who do some serious planning (not the fanatical planning like many of us on these boards do - just normal serious planning! :lol:) continue to be taken by surprise.

Whether you think they're ripping off regular customers or not, WDW should really do something IMHO about making sure people aren't surprised and dissapointed at the risk of the WDW reputaion.

jtwyatt

I happen to think that the hard-ticket events are a great idea for many reasons. However, even people who do some serious planning (not the fanatical planning like many of us on these boards do - just normal serious planning! :lol:) continue to be taken by surprise.

Whether you think they're ripping off regular customers or not, WDW should really do something IMHO about making sure people aren't surprised and dissapointed at the risk of the WDW reputaion.

I agree that they could do a better job in informing guests as to th what date and times the parties are going on. My Family has been to a lot of the "hard ticket events", and it alway seems that there is a good amount of people, especially for those guests that arrive early in the morning, who do not realize what exactly is going on. I think there could be a better orgazied attempt thoughout the entire property(Resorts,Parking areas, Park Gates) to inform the less informed as to going on.

That Being Said, I love the Parties and believe they are a great value even with the extra chargre.

happymom52003

I'm not going to defend the parties....I enjoy them, but I do think they have gone WAY overboard with the number of them they have.

But the complaint that people have no idea about the parties and they get caught off gaurd, and it ruins their day or trip, etc...etc....is just not valid, in my opinion.

I really do not know what more Disney could do to let guests know.:shrug:

The park hours are on the website.

When you check in to your hotel you get a times guide with park hours for the week.

There are signs at the entrance to the MK with the party dates.

When you arrive at the park, you can get a times guide for the day with the park hours on it.

Realistically, what more can they do?

I mean there comes a point where people have to be a bit more responsible on finding out the park hours for their trip. Even if you somehow do not know about the party itself, you should still know what time the MK is closing on the day you choose to go there.

And you do not have to be crazy, detailed plannners like some of us are(myself included:rolleyes:) to find out park hours!

To me, this is just common sense. Even the average guest who does little or no planning should find out park hours before they go.:hammer:

gettingsmaller

And you do not have to be crazy, detailed plannners like some of us are(myself included:rolleyes:) to find out park hours!

To me, this is just common sense. Even the average guest who does little or no planning should find out park hours before they go.:hammer:

I agree with this. We have season passes to the local Six Flags, and I wouldn't make a trip over there without checking the closing times before I go.

On the other hand, I was not impressed with MNSSHP last year . Of course, it POURED most of the time, but we got to do some trick-or-treating before the skies opened up... kids liked it, but I think we could have used our $200+ better somewhere else...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom