MK Cinderella Castle Rehabs

Like I said, I'd rather have it painted at night, without a crane in the park, as was tradition before people like Paul Pressler started running the parks. I expect more from Disney than what I'm getting. But tradition isn't important to everyone. It's about creating the magic everyone keeps talking about here. Yes I want the work done, but I want it done differently.

ToTBellHop

Um...just to clue you in...Florida is quite sunny for several hours, at least, pretty much every day. And this time of year, the sun is VERY strong, which causes paint to fade very quickly. I fail to see how you can paint the castle without a crane...it'd be a bit absurd to bring in 180 foot ladders to paint it. In support of Disney, all the other parks in America, most of them not even open all year, do close their rides for refurbishment pretty much every day they are open, so I really don't understand the complaints like this considering Disney is open 365 days a year. Refurbishments have to occur when people are there, and we are entering the off-season anyway. I can assure you, most people do not care about refurbishments like this...NO ONE was complaining about Maelstrom being closed this past week; it has to be done. It's not like disney hears you are coming and decides to bust out the cranes...if people are really that scarred by the crane, they can put their thumbs over the lens where the crane is and pretend it wasn't ever there...chill people. You are going to Disney World.

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Um...just to clue you in...Florida is quite sunny for several hours, at least, pretty much every day. And this time of year, the sun is VERY strong, which causes paint to fade very quickly. I fail to see how you can paint the castle without a crane...it'd be a bit absurd to bring in 180 foot ladders to paint it. In support of Disney, all the other parks in America, most of them not even open all year, do close their rides for refurbishment pretty much every day they are open, so I really don't understand the complaints like this considering Disney is open 365 days a year. Refurbishments have to occur when people are there, and we are entering the off-season anyway. I can assure you, most people do not care about refurbishments like this...NO ONE was complaining about Maelstrom being closed this past week; it has to be done. It's not like disney hears you are coming and decides to bust out the cranes...if people are really that scarred by the crane, they can put their thumbs over the lens where the crane is and pretend it wasn't ever there...chill people. You are going to Disney World.

I give up. We're never going to agree and I guess I personally don't care what you guys think. I want Disney to go back to the traditions they had while I was growing up. They won't and I'm ed off about it. It won't ruin my vacation, but I'm sure it will ruin some peoples and that's just too bad.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Married@WDW

I give up. We're never going to agree and I guess I personally don't care what you guys think. I want Disney to go back to the traditions they had while I was growing up. They won't and I'm ed off about it. It won't ruin my vacation, but I'm sure it will ruin some peoples and that's just too bad.

So you are telling me Disney didn't refurbish attractions when you were a little kid? :rolleyes: Please...

kaos

Umm... Disney has always done refurbs during park hours. It's just that they are done during what is called the adventure season (i.e. off-peak) and the park attendance was so slim that no one really minded. With this being off season, it is time for Disney to do what they have done for 30 years at WDW... refurb during the off season. ALWAYS, from the middle of August to the middle of November, it's off-peak and time to get ready for the busy hiliday season. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but there will be lots of stores and food carts closed, hotels actaully charge lower rates, and staffing is cut. It's not a peak time for them, and it is now, and always has been, CONSTRUCTION SEASON.

Never the less, enjoy your trip, those of you going, and just find alternate places to take magical pictures.

Originally posted by DogsRule!

So you are telling me Disney didn't refurbish attractions when you were a little kid? :rolleyes: Please...

No! They didn't do simple painting jobs during the day when it the work could be seen. And major rehabs were behind construction walls so you didn't see it. Maybe you should learn to READ and study the history of WDW and the way things USED to be run before you make smart remarks.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
That being the case, would you rather see 200 foot contruction walls so you don't have to see the rehab? I think not.

I guess if it's a toss up between scaffolding over the whole castle or a crane next to it, I'll take the crane any day.

And hey....it's disney...just be happy you're there. I think we're being a little over-sensitive.:)

DisneyWorldGuru

Disney does not own the CM's. I agree with Rob (RobFL). I think people who are trying to pick fights (like...um... Fievel) should just cool it. You can report things, but that does not mean that we all share your view. Disney does not own thier workers, this is America, we have the freedom to say what we want.

MKCustodial

Sure, nobody is gonna agree here. From what I read, the point being made here is that one understands why it's happening, but it doesn't mean one has to like it. For us, it's easy to let the magic cover it all. For someone who has saved their whole life for this one and only trip, it might be different (like it's the case for many Brazilians. Not that there are many Brazilians around this time of the year, anyway... It's just an example.:D )

DisneyWorldGuru

I uderstand that. I feel like that every time I go to Disney World. But a CMs time off is for what ever they want to do or say (that is legal). As long as he is not leaking top secret info about Disney, then I feel that no he has done nothing wrong. If he feels like helping a guest in his off time, good for him.

The Mom

Premium Member

No! They didn't do simple painting jobs during the day when it the work could be seen. And major rehabs were behind construction walls so you didn't see it. Maybe you should learn to READ and study the history of WDW and the way things USED to be run before you make smart remarks.

I also hate to see maintenance work done during park hours, but assume it was both a financial and safety issue. Construction/maintenance type workers are generally paid more during off hours, and they are more likely to have more accidents in low light situations (regardless of how many floodlights you use, it's just not the same as daylight) and might be working in a sleep deprived condition. (there are some people who can adjust to sleeping days and working nights, but it's very difficult....I worked 11PM - 7 AM for several years, and was always sleep deprived.) Perhaps OSHA and risk management had a lot to do with changing policy? Certainly, society has become more litiginous in 30 years.

BradleyJ

They also didn't have 4 theme parks, 2 waters parks, several shoping area, and 20 resorts hotels either.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I got to be a trainer becuase I was a hard worker and took pride in my job no matter if i was having a bad day or not. Not bad for a CP.

I got to be a trainer because to this day, I'm a damned good CM

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Coming from a land full of proper castles I couldnt care less. However as they manage to paint many major structure around the world without the use of a crain surely its not beyond Disney.
Or is it just the cheapest option yet again. Just look at every major British industry to see where that strategy leads.

Still quality slaggin match, would be interesting to see how people reacted over an issue of REAL importance.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by happy snapper
Coming from a land full of proper castles I couldnt care less. However as they manage to paint many major structure around the world without the use of a crain surely its not beyond Disney.
Or is it just the cheapest option yet again. Just look at every major British industry to see where that strategy leads.

Still quality slaggin match, would be interesting to see how people reacted over an issue of REAL importance.

Actually, last time I was there (last sept), they were painting ToT and were using cranes and cherry pickers.

I'm guessing it's easier to paint something in the daylight that demands a lot of detail. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by Fievel

I'm guessing it's easier to paint something in the daylight that demands a lot of detail. :)

Detail, its just a big scale Little Tikes toy. I know some guys that could do the job in a couple of days... they painted my old house.

The work was pants but they did the whole house in 4 hours

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom