MJ's Family of Friends

Nemo14

Original Poster
Same here! In fact, I haven't even done that for them.
The good news being that our families tend to give them clothing for their summer birthdays, so they are all set except for new shoes and haircuts.
The grandparents sent money for haircuts and shoes, so pretty much I can trim their hair for now and use it for whatever we need most. *besides, our son has informed me that he wants to have long hair. Which looks cute on him. He's simple: longer on top than in the back and parted to the side.*
*Bree's classic look is bangs with chest-length hair.*
My son's hair is quite curly, and he likes it long, so it's kind of an ongoing battle here. I don't get too upset about it except when he has to see my mother - which is only a couple of times a year since she lives in FL, and we're up here.

Nemo14

Original Poster
Well, time to go kiddies. I think I was supposed to be at work at 11, but he changes his mind so often that I never really know, so I guess I'll head out now....:rolleyes:

lunalovegoddess

My son's hair is quite curly, and he likes it long, so it's kind of an ongoing battle here. I don't get too upset about it except when he has to see my mother - which is only a couple of times a year since she lives in FL, and we're up here.

I'm pretty much of the "know when to pick your battles" frame of mind. I'm trying to teach them to think for themselves about what they want before we go out. I like to encourage their creativity, but let them know that there are a few rules regarding hair and clothing:

A) Is it weather-appropriate?
B) Is is neat and in good condition?
C) Does it restrict your movement or sight?

Weather:
Our son has been known to put on long pants for a 90*day. Or wear shorts in the winter. Long hair in Florida during the summer can be a real drag.

Condition:
Their school dress code states that tank tops cannot have spaghetti straps. Our daughter got around this rule by layering a wider tank top underneath. Also, skirts must not be too short. This one may become tricky since she is getting taller. Sometimes she trys to wear her favorite clothes which are getting shorter and tighter now that she's growing. So, I tend to buy skorts and shorts with zippered knees to lengthen them as they grow.

Restriction:
Pretty much, if your hair is restricting your vision, it needs to be slicked back or put in ponytail. Our son likes his dad's hairgel, which I add to a spray bottle of water. His hair can tuck behind his ears now or else stay parted to the side. If your clothing is too tight or uncomfortable, it's gonna get thrown into a box destined for the garage.

Disnut

I'm pretty much of the "know when to pick your battles" frame of mind. I'm trying to teach them to think for themselves about what they want before we go out. I like to encourage their creativity, but let them know that there are a few rules regarding hair and clothing:

A) Is it weather-appropriate?
B) Is is neat and in good condition?
C) Does it restrict your movement or sight?

Weather:
Our son has been known to put on long pants for a 90*day. Or wear shorts in the winter. Long hair in Florida during the summer can be a real drag.

Condition:
Their school dress code states that tank tops cannot have spaghetti straps. Our daughter got around this rule by layering a wider tank top underneath. Also, skirts must not be too short. This one may become tricky since she is getting taller. Sometimes she trys to wear her favorite clothes which are getting shorter and tighter now that she's growing. So, I tend to buy skorts and shorts with zippered knees to lengthen them as they grow.

Restriction:
Pretty much, if your hair is restricting your vision, it needs to be slicked back or put in ponytail. Our son likes his dad's hairgel, which I add to a spray bottle of water. His hair can tuck behind his ears now or else stay parted to the side. If your clothing is too tight or uncomfortable, it's gonna get thrown into a box destined for the garage.

I just copied your questions. I am trying to get my DDs to look at themselves before going to school. My DD wants to wear her summer play clothes to school. She is going to 7th grade and is very petite but when she wears these clothes she looks like she is 4th grade.:zipit: I want her to look like she belongs in her middle school without taking her childhood away. BTW she is also very inmature for being there. I think that has something to do with her ADD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom