Misunderstanding of things from when you were little.

Korben

Not so much of a misunderstanding but rather a lack of...I never knew as a child that my favorite ride with Mr. Toad ended with your death by train and a quick trip through hell!! I used to giggle at the bouncy devils like a mini Tim Burton :goodnevil

EPCOTPluto

You can't not tell us this story now!
Well, it was due to the fact that the audio in the doom Buggy wasn't working correctly (static). So we the CM at the Unload about it.She asked if we want to ride again. We said yes, of course. :D After waiting for some people to get off, we were seated in one Doom Buggy.

Now, I was excited to see how they go back to the Load area. Imagine my surprise when our car went through a small section of darkness and out to the Load area! Took about 10 seconds. I thought it would be more haunting! :lol:

musketeer

Original Poster
I thought of another one. You know when you are on the monorail, there various switches, and it looks like the track just ends. Well, when I was little, I had thought that was going to be where the new track started, and it would eventually go all over the property. And each time we went, I was disappointed to see that track was still there, but wasn't completed yet.

Good thing I didn't have the internet then and used this message board to ask about it...

Also, I always wanted to know what was in the big epcot ball. Of course we rode spaceship earth, but the line for the ride takes you into the support for the ball, so I didn't put two and two together that the ride was really inside the ball. I guess I just hoped that each visit, they would finally open it up to see what was inside.

And one more, you know when you enter space mountain on the tomorrowland transit authority, there is a switch that goes off to the left, well I always wanted to see what was in there, but we always "just happened" to be on the train that went to the right.

I know I have more, but can't remember at the moment.

_Scar

I thought:

Splash Mountain drop was over 100 feet
HM and ToT were the same ride.... you could imagine my fear at 7 going on HM thinking we were about to free fall
Mickey really battled a dragon in a fierce showdown (lol)

sublimesting

On the boat over from Fort Wilderness my parents told me Mickey was waiting for me. Man, I thought he was going to be on the dock in a lawn chair waiting just for me.

worldfanatic

Growing up, my family would drive from San Francisco to Disneyland every summer for vacation.
And every year I'd argue with my Dad that the Matterhorn was taller than the Golden Gate Bridge.
Until my Mom would tell him:

"Chuck, My God, he's only five years old. If he thinks the Matterhorn is taller, it's taller."

That would end it. But then the same arguement would start again the next year.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
When I was little... REALLY little... I thought 20k actually went out to the ocean. I thought the whole thing was real. Made perfect sense to me, because we were in Florida. I thought if you went down a good 20 feet or so, you'd have to be under the land and in water. Then you just head toward the ocean.

I think I thought the same thing about Sea Base Alpha for a short time, till I figured that out. It made perfect sense that the hydrolaters were taking us down through the ground and "under" Florida, to the sea base below it.

Man. I miss being able to think that way. :(

Me too - agreed 110% on all of the above

VT GAL

On my first trip to WDW, I asked my Dad why the POTC boats were empty when we got on them. He said,"The pirates must have got them...I hope they don't get us,too". I was scared the whole time, and was relieved that the pirates didn't get us!

I thought the same thing about 20K and riding to Sea Base Alpha!!!

Pongo

I also had the impression that there WAS a Track B in Test Track...

Me too! I always wanted to ride it.

I also agree with the people who posted about extra tracks to vehicle storage areas. I always wondered why the car or boat wouldn't ever go down there and that I was always by chance getting the same track. What a let down.

toetheline29

Buried20KLeague said:
Man. I miss being able to think that way. :(

Me too! :(

Mine's not as good as some other people's, but when I was little, my parents used to make me duck my head and close my eyes during the Alien scene in the Great Movie Ride because they figured it would scare me and give me nightmares, etc. Unfortunately, them acting like it was something to be afraid of scared me more, lol. I had this horrible vision in my head of what must happen during that scene for it to be so frightening. I was mildly disappointed the first time I kept my head up and saw the whole thing :lol:.

Oh, and also, when I was really young, I refused to believe anyone who said the monorail traveled on the supports you see everywhere. I was convinced that they flew through the air on magic :)

nemofinder22

I thought the subs were pushed under water from the water falls, although now that I think about it how the heck would the sub surface if theres another one at the exit. Also I used to think Casey Jr. was the real one from the movie.....

_Scar

I thought MK and DL were the same park and got the 2 confused. I thought WDW was somewhere where a hole country was Disney. :shrug:

Also I remember the McDonald's campaign for DCA and I thought it was the coolest park ever and I wished I could go... biggest childhood mistake :ROFLOL:

OHHHHHH- Here's the big one you'll get a kick out of- I thought Summit Plummit was really a giant ramp and you landed in a wave pool after the ride.

Dragonrider1227

I used to think Peter Pan's Flight had an empty abyss underneath it, the POTC could actually shoot you, (and in that Disneyland special about the ride, I thought the gunpowder they sat on as they shot each other at the end would actually explode) and that the Jungle Cruise Skipper used to use real guns :lookaroun

Wilt Dasney

The only one that comes to mind is when my mom would call to buy tickets. I knew she was calling Disney World, but while she was on hold, she would tell me she was talking to Orlando. I had no idea "who" Orlando was, but I assumed it must be a Disney character and decided she was talking to Mad Madam Mim from the Sword in the Stone to get our tickets. (For some reason, that's who popped in my head when I heard Orlando.) :shrug:

This thread is great. Gosh, kids have some random thoughts. :lol:

elisatonks

I used to believe that the hitchhiking ghosts were real and refused to go back on HM for years because i didn't want to pick up another one. :ROFLOL:

I too also hoped that the express monorail would stop at the contemporary, but it never did.

agent86

That's what I was referring to. Crump had the idea for a "Museum of the Weird" concept, and it eventually grew, with Walt's guidance into what we know as the Haunted Mansion.:wave:

I've always wished they would go back and revisit the "Museum of the Weird" concept. It is a very cool and intriguing idea.

wickedsoccer22

I used to think Peter Pan's Flight had an empty abyss underneath it, the POTC could actually shoot you, (and in that Disneyland special about the ride, I thought the gunpowder they sat on as they shot each other at the end would actually explode) and that the Jungle Cruise Skipper used to use real guns :lookaroun

Speaking of the Jungle Cruise, I always thought that the Skipper's actually drove the boats. Amazed me how the boats could get so close to rocks and then the Skippers would turn away while they were talking to us facing the opposite direction. :lol:

sublimesting

Oh God, Disney must have been terrifying for you!:eek:

rlaeromech

When I was 8 my sister and I rode tomorrowland speed way and stoped suddenly right by a speaker and at the time there was audio that I remember being tires squeling and my sister and I were dying laughing cause we thought we had a caused a huge pile up. Didn't even think about just looking behind me to see there weren't any cars behind us.

Like someone said, I miss that innocence!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom