Misunderstanding of things from when you were little.

Nicole220

I thought the Subs were completely submerged under water. I was always scared that they would break down and we'd have to swim to the surface. :lol:

My sister thought the drop on Splash Mountain went under water. She wouldn't go on it for that reason until we finally convinced her that it did not go under water.

rainfully

My first trip to WDW was the year of Mickey's Birthdayland and everything all around the parks was celebrating Mickey's Birthday. I thought for sure that very day that we were visiting was Mickey's birthday, and I couldn't believe how lucky we were that we just happened to be there on that day!

Also, there used to be a statue outside Space Mountain with a ride vehicle with spacemen in it, pointing almost straight down and it made it look like the cars used a tiny little rod for a track... I REFUSED to ride SM for the longest time because I thought that's what the ride really was like! :lol: Boy was I surprised when I finally decided to ride what HAD to be the MOST TERRIFYING ROLLER COASTER EVER!

And I thought that the monorails didn't have wheels... I thought that they just glided along the beam somehow... perhaps with magnets.

ProfSlim

As a youngster my first trip was in '76 and I thought WDW was its own island...I can never remember getting to WDW I just remember being there and its seclusion made it feel like there was nothing else except Disney (we stayed at the CR)... It certinaly did not feel like a theme part in Florida.

rainfully

As a youngster my first trip was in '76 and I thought WDW was its own island...I can never remember getting to WDW I just remember being there and its seclusion made it feel like there was nothing else except Disney (we stayed at the CR)... It certinaly did not feel like a theme part in Florida.

I definitely thought that MK was an island... cause you had to get over the water to get there!

Disneyfanman

This is a great thread!

When I was a tot of 6, I went on Adventures Thru InnerSpace and thought that I was really shrinking! I was scared to death, but in a really great way! Of course I loved it anyway and it remains one of my favorite Disney Memories!

zurgandfriend

Unfortunately I only started visiting DL and WDW as an adult;
My son however believed the Jungle Cruise skipper who told my son that his parents forgot him one day and that’s why he has to work as a jungle boat skipper, and that he had just gotten promoted from cleaning the restrooms. Boy did my son hold my hand tight for the rest of the day.

DisneyPrincess5

I can;t seem to think of any misunderstanding I had, but my mother has one!

She has always believed that Space Mountain has a loop in it for whatever reason.
I've explained to her numerous times that it does not have any loops but she doesn't believe me!
Walt Disney could appear to her and promise her it does not have a loop and she STILL wouldn't believe it!

It's kind of a joke now...I tell her they're adding another loop with the refurb :lol:

wedway71

Wow, this is a GREAT thread. I am 38 and went to Disney in 71 as a baby and have gone since then hundreds of times thoughout my life.

I am really going to show my age here.For some reason I thought one of the songs they played on "If you had Wings" was the song "Up,UP,Up and away in my Beautiful Ballon" by the 5th Demension... I doubt anyone even remembers that song in here.

I know it wasnt now but I swear up and down I have a distinct memory of that song being tied to the attraction.

Another thing was I thought that "Mission to Mars" actually went up in space.

I wish i was a kid again.

:shrug:

the-reason14

These posts were made at the same minute. That's gotta be like 80 kabillion-1 odds. :lol:

Aha! But I thought this before I actually rode Space mt., this was my observation from the TTA, not the actual ride. I was like 3 or 4, to small and to terrified to even stand in line for such a ride. Esp. after thinking the shooting stars were the ride. :lol:

EPCOTPluto

Just remembered another one. On my first ride in BTMR, I remember being so scared because on the part where your car makes a sudden dip into a mine shaft, I heard a woman scream loudly. As I turned around, her head was gone and replaced with some wild animal. :eek: Later though, turns out it was her hair that I saw. I just assumed now she was laughing in her partner's shoulder. But at a young age, it creeped me out... :lookaroun

CCore_comp_CCore_NE_EnEx.jpg
Wow. :eek: How spacious and unique it was! :lookaroun

sparky03

Great thread!

And I thought that the monorails didn't have wheels... I thought that they just glided along the beam somehow... perhaps with magnets.

I used to think the same thing. It still kind of disappoints me to this day that the monorails aren't nearly as futuristic and hi-tech as I had once thought.

My biggest misconception had to do with the Haunted Mansion. I never could figure out how they crammed such a long ride into a relatively small building, not knowing of course that the mansion itself was just a facade and that the actual ride was hidden in a giant warehouse behind. But I would literally lie in bed some nights trying to map it all out in my head and I just couldn't make the darn thing fit. Then I started wondering if they built the entire ride underground since you kind of entered in the basement.

Oh what I would have given for Google Maps back then!

Future Guy

Count me as another person who thought that the hydrolators were real and that Seabase Alpha was actually underwater. I knew there was a tank, but I thought that the seabase was actually located in the center of it. I thought that the Mission Control preshow at Mission to Mars was a real Mission Control.

The first time I rode Mr. Toad, I thought that I was actually driving, and that the "train" was real and I was going to die.

YunaB17

i used to think the country bears were poeple in costumes who lived inside the stage except for the one on the swing who i thought lived on the roof. I also thought the talking animal heads were also poeple in costumes who stuck thier heads through the wall and lived on the other side of it.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

1) I used to thing that during the old Illuminations we were really looking at the real countries and they were lighting up.

2) I used to think the houses in Toon Town were real and I tried to go in them.

4) I thought I was in a Disney cartoon when I rode imagination.

5) I thought the recorded voices played outside were coming from the sky.

EpcotServo

I thought the end of Universe of Energy was actually in a giant circular room. Still one of the best illusions ever.
:cry: :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom