Mission:Space update (confirmed)

WDWTank

I can't remember the exact reason, someone else will need to chime in. Probably to break the "connection" with Mission to Mars or maybe something political (please correct me!!)? Gina Torres is good, just too bad they didn't polish the script or had her act with more emotion. It's almost like there's just a lady Gary on screen (picturing Gary in drag...ugh).

The refurb is my idea of a solid refurb. Go in, clean up, update visuals/audio, update lighting, done. (Personally) It didn't make the ride any worse, it just updated what needed to be updated and that was it. Orange is very pretty now, green is pretty but not exciting until the end (I want that ending with full forces). Two different missions are a nice bonus
Did they fix the wheel yet?!

trainplane3

Did they fix the wheel yet?!
Nope, that's not going to happen. They actually reduced the lighting on it. The "rooms" used to be lit up, but not anymore.
W8QXG9k.jpg

It was like this on soft open Friday and on the Sunday when it opened "for real". Horizons logo is still there and they actually added it to 2 spots in the pre-show. It's on the monitors behind Gina and on the "grab the stick in case of emergency" part.

WDWTank

Nope, that's not going to happen. They actually reduced the lighting on it. The "rooms" used to be lit up, but not anymore.
W8QXG9k.jpg

It was like this on soft open Friday and on the Sunday when it opened "for real". Horizons logo is still there and they actually added it to 2 spots in the pre-show. It's on the monitors behind Gina and on the "grab the stick in case of emergency" part.
Why couldn't they fix it? I heard a rumor claiming they have parts on site, but it was too large to carry out the door. My idea is disassemble the wheel, take out each part small enough to go out the door, brainstorm possible solutions, and come back in with new parts to assemble the wheel. Why is today's Disney so stupid?!

lazyboy97o

Why did they take him out?! Unnecessary change. Although I haven't been on the new version yet
New mission, new monitors and a general desire to refresh.

Why couldn't they fix it? I heard a rumor claiming they have parts on site, but it was too large to carry out the door. My idea is disassemble the wheel, take out each part small enough to go out the door, brainstorm possible solutions, and come back in with new parts to assemble the wheel. Why is today's Disney so stupid?!
It was never going to be fixed during the update. There is no door it goes out of nor would it need to be removed.

trainplane3

I may be wrong (@marni1971 please correct me) but the way the wheel was built, the mechanism to spin it is built into the building. To replace the parts would be extremely difficult and time consuming for something that doesn't add much of anything to the ride (considering the lines are 15 minutes on average with most of that time in the pre-show area). I thought the mechanism was essentially rollers on the bottom and top with "brace" to keep it in place. I think I'm wrong though. I'm part of team "fix the wheel" but to be honest, fixing the yeti is higher on my list then the wheel.

I wouldn't call them stupid with it though. Maybe over-engineered to the point it works fine for a long time but when it breaks it's a pain in various body parts to fix?

WDWTank

I may be wrong (@marni1971 please correct me) but the way the wheel was built, the mechanism to spin it is built into the building. To replace the parts would be extremely difficult and time consuming for something that doesn't add much of anything to the ride (considering the lines are 15 minutes on average with most of that time in the pre-show area). I thought the mechanism was essentially rollers on the bottom and top with "brace" to keep it in place. I think I'm wrong though. I'm part of team "fix the wheel" but to be honest, fixing the yeti is higher on my list then the wheel.

I wouldn't call them stupid with it though. Maybe over-engineered to the point it works fine for a long time but when it breaks it's a pain in various body parts to fix?
They should use my proposed method to fix the Yeti indeed :) Maybe I'll propose it once I enter the industry :)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

What about emergency exit doors?
Egress from the Sim Lab is through the same doors you walk through when entering the lines at the Sphere. Emergency Exit doors are not typically a different size; required minimum width greater than a standard door is achieved with multiple doors.

q21701

While Gary is completely gone from the ride there is an Easter egg hidden referencing him. If you go to the Green Mission, grab one of the small children booster seats, and look on the bottom. You will find a badge that reads 03LT.D4N17. So the start year of the ride, Lt. Dan, and the end year he was there. Hopefully I don't need to explain the Lieutenant Dan reference. A cast member showed me this when I mentioned I was bummed out that Gary was gone.

Attachments

• WP_20171009_18_37_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171009_18_37_37_Pro.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 339

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
While Gary is completely gone from the ride there is an Easter egg hidden referencing him. If you go to the Green Mission, grab one of the small children booster seats, and look on the bottom. You will find a badge that reads 03LT.D4N17. So the start year of the ride, Lt. Dan, and the end year he was there. Hopefully I don't need to explain the Lieutenant Dan reference. A cast member showed me this when I mentioned I was bummed out that Gary was gone.
Nice detail!

sedati

Can't wait to ride it!

Hope you enjoy it.

This really is one of my favorite rides- one made all the better by the new visuals. I'll agree that the whole experience could have been more fleshed out, but the ride is one-of-a-kind-amazing. I wish it didn't have the double-edged stigma against it as being an unworthy successor to Horizons, and for being a vomit machine.

AEfx

Hope you enjoy it.

This really is one of my favorite rides- one made all the better by the new visuals. I'll agree that the whole experience could have been more fleshed out, but the ride is one-of-a-kind-amazing. I wish it didn't have the double-edged stigma against it as being an unworthy successor to Horizons, and for being a vomit machine.

I really like the new version of M:S more, to be honest. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it was very well done, and the story is a lot easier to "get in to" now with the return trip, etc. The old one just reminded me too much that the entire thing was a pre-show for what was never built - it just feels more "complete" this way.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the ride system - I went years before without going on it again - but now with the changes, it's back something I do at least once each time.

bclane

I really like the new version of M:S more, to be honest. I know that's not a popular opinion, but I think it was very well done, and the story is a lot easier to "get in to" now with the return trip, etc. The old one just reminded me too much that the entire thing was a pre-show for what was never built - it just feels more "complete" this way.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the ride system - I went years before without going on it again - but now with the changes, it's back something I do at least once each time.
I'm intrigued by your comment that "the entire thing was a preshow for what was never built." Whoa, if what we got was just the preshow, what was the ride supposed to be? I didn't know we got a lesser ride to what had been planned but now I'm super curious.

AEfx

I'm intrigued by your comment that "the entire thing was a preshow for what was never built." Whoa, if what we got was just the preshow, what was the ride supposed to be? I didn't know we got a lesser ride to what had been planned but now I'm super curious.

I'm sure someone can chime in with the details - but that was supposed to be the pre-show to the pavilion itself - kind of like SeaCabs once upon a time at the Living Seas. I don't believe there was an actual other ride, but it was supposed to be what transported you to Mars which you then could walk around and experience. Instead, they just built the preshow, you get off, and that's it.

scout68

It's not like there re-inventing the wheel... oh, wait.

bclane

I'm sure someone can chime in with the details - but that was supposed to be the pre-show to the pavilion itself - kind of like SeaCabs once upon a time at the Living Seas. I don't believe there was an actual other ride, but it was supposed to be what transported you to Mars which you then could walk around and experience. Instead, they just built the preshow, you get off, and that's it.
Dang that would have been awesome! So frustrating that they cut the rest out...

RSoxNo1

You can experience the fly over the earth safely in the confines of your own home by watching the logo animation of any Universal movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom