Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Chef Mickey

There's also tricks that stunt and test pilots do: tightening the leg muscles and scrunching the torso (similar to grunting but closing off any vocalization, or, ab crunches). This forces blood to the brain so there's no pooling of blood in the back of your head while the frontal cortex is drained. Of course, at 1.5 Gs, it's not that big a deal for most people at most times, but, when blood pressure suddenly changes, there are times the body doesn't react and correct fast enough and the body-tightening helps it along. And you got to keep breathing as you do it.
I believe Orange is 2.5G.

Biff215

I guess the reason for the rotation on green is to maintain the overall mechanical health and keep the bearings loose.. The spin is not part of the ride experience because of how slow it goes, right?
I was thinking the same thing. Smart, considering the expense involved in creating this attraction when green wasn't even a thought. I doubt it will ever go back, but at least it should be able to.

hokielutz

I know they are trying to increase the ridership on the attraction... but the booster seat looks stupid. The preflight video of the child in the seat, his head barely fits above the bottom of the pull down restraint, even with the booster seat.

Captain Neo

Or is everyone else wired wrongly?! ;)

Seriously though, individual reaction to MS can vary. The whole thing relies on tricking your brain into discarding the rotational feeling and be tricked that it is a forward motion. Some people still sense the rotation heavily, which does not match with the onscreen visuals, and then causes the issues.

If I remember right it only spins 3 times during the attraction right? (Take off, the slingshot around the moon, and entering Mars atmosphere)

doctornick

I have two 4-year olds who have absolutely loved the new Green Mission. And at 41", we are all thankful for something new to ride together.

Right there with you, my 3 1/2 year old (just barely at 40") loved Green and it was cool to be able to all ride together as a family. I'm not sure my wife can handle Orange anymore anyway, as she tends to not do well with spinning rides, so it's great to have this option. (Yes, I know Green was there previously, but we haven't gone on because we always had a child who was too short and it didn't seem worth it for rider swap.)

My youngest had to use the booster seat obviously, and it was amusing that he couldn't actually reach the controls to press. Yes, that made the ride less "real" but was a source of amusement for all of us.

Goofyernmost

Oh, I'd say there is something wrong with it. At times, it suggests you are simply going through flight training, and at other times, it suggests you are actually going into space.

It should really stick to one story or the other.
Agreed - that bugs me.
OK, do they have to do everything. How about you decide how you want to imagine it and go with that. Be it a training thing or an actual trip thing. Use your own brain and imagination to make it whatever you want. Either scenario will work on that ride. Everyone needs to stop being so dependent on others to define their fantasies.

Call it a training mission all day if you want, but, if you mind set yourself that it is actually happening you will enjoy it a lot more, that is what simulation is about anyway. Imagining safe danger. If they didn't say "training" you know damn well that some brain dead human will panic as soon as launch happens causing a shutdown of the ride. If people weren't so stupid none of that "elaborate" preshow would be necessary. We could all sit out in the sun waiting for our turn to ride the machine. It's your imagination use it in the way that you enjoy the most.

Goofyernmost

Or is everyone else wired wrongly?! ;)

Seriously though, individual reaction to MS can vary. The whole thing relies on tricking your brain into discarding the rotational feeling and be tricked that it is a forward motion. Some people still sense the rotation heavily, which does not match with the onscreen visuals, and then causes the issues.
I never had to trick my brain, all you have to do is not think about what is physically being induced and go with the feeling of acceleration. I never once felt any spinning motion on it, just pressure pulling back into the seat. One cannot trick the inner ear, if someone has an inner ear problem they will feel ill and perhaps "dizzy". But, to really define spin there has to be a visual observance of the spin. That doesn't happen on MS.

No Name

OK, do they have to do everything. How about you decide how you want to imagine it and go with that. Be it a training thing or an actual trip thing. Use your own brain and imagination to make it whatever you want. Either scenario will work on that ride. Everyone needs to stop being so dependent on others to define their fantasies.

Call it a training mission all day if you want, but, if you mind set yourself that it is actually happening you will enjoy it a lot more, that is what simulation is about anyway. Imagining safe danger. If they didn't say "training" you know damn well that some brain dead human will panic as soon as launch happens causing a shutdown of the ride. If people weren't so stupid none of that "elaborate" preshow would be necessary. We could all sit out in the sun waiting for our turn to ride the machine. It's your imagination use it in the way that you enjoy the most.

Did it hit a nerve?

It's harder for guests to use their imagination in the way they enjoy most, when the attraction constantly contradicts whatever they are imagining. But I take it you disagree.

Goofyernmost

Did it hit a nerve?

It's harder for guests to use their imagination in the way they enjoy most, when the attraction constantly contradicts whatever they are imagining. But I take it you disagree.
Not a nerve really, but, it just seems to me that we are expecting others to do everything for us, including how we, as individuals use our imaginations. It doesn't bother me if someone else is unable to enjoy something because of someone giving them conflicting information. Any attraction is what it is, and we make it, or should make it, whatever we want it to be and it doesn't really matter what others say. Including me!

Movielover

You're right, I always imagined that something interesting and exciting was happening on Universe of Energy, then the attraction would prove me wrong...

;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I never had to trick my brain, all you have to do is not think about what is physically being induced and go with the feeling of acceleration. I never once felt any spinning motion on it, just pressure pulling back into the seat. One cannot trick the inner ear, if someone has an inner ear problem they will feel ill and perhaps "dizzy". But, to really define spin there has to be a visual observance of the spin. That doesn't happen on MS.
Everyone is different. You don't feel it, I do - every time during the hypersleep sequence when there's nothing to focus on.

Goofyernmost

Everyone is different. You don't feel it, I do - every time during the hypersleep sequence when there's nothing to focus on.
That is true, everyone is different and the only reason why I put it in terms of absolutes is because I want to cancel out those that absolutely will tell someone that this or that is going to happen. There is nothing more dangerous then preconceived notions.

I told the story of a guy that was standing in the smoking section and telling everyone that would listen not to go on the ride because they will get violently ill. And then proceeded to explain what violently ill encompassed. If I wasn't a peace loving man I would have clubbed the guy. What a mean thing to do... Some may call it a warning, but, there are sufficient warnings within the confines of the attraction and he is just assuming that everyone will react the same as he "claimed" he did, but, we all know how much drama people tend to put into stories. I know at least two people that decided not to go on it because of that clown. He even used the same argument for the green side. I hate that.

Disney4family

The new graphics and video do look very crisp, and while Torres does a better job than Sinise in the pre-show, I think I preferred Cap Com Gary for the ride itself (Torres delivery is just too wooden to me).
We were excited to ride this on 8/12. We did both green & orange.
I didn't like all the new walls they put up in the queue to separate green & orange & stand-by & fast pass.
The wheel is very, very dark. It didn't move much before so at least keep it lit to add to the experience.
The extra padding in the capsule is different.
The green is nice for little ones I guess.
The new graphics & video are crisp.
The script is word-for-word and I agree that she's blah during the ride itself. At least when he had to say, "Turn left! Now right!", he actually had emotion. At first I gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought she had a "calm during the storm" take on the whole thing. But - as we were coming in for the landing, I was ready to yawn. She does miss the excitement he had in his voice that something wasn't right and you had to do something to counteract it. It was silly & fun - not anymore.
My kids always wanted to do this over and over. Now, they don't care. It's one-and-done for them. Something changed the experience with her delivery of the same lines.
And - I have to add, my daughter missed the song in the boring hallway after. She sang her heart out to the old song for all to hear. She wanted some of the campy fun that she missed during the orange ride itself.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
That is true, everyone is different and the only reason why I put it in terms of absolutes is because I want to cancel out those that absolutely will tell someone that this or that is going to happen. There is nothing more dangerous then preconceived notions.

I told the story of a guy that was standing in the smoking section and telling everyone that would listen not to go on the ride because they will get violently ill. And then proceeded to explain what violently ill encompassed. If I wasn't a peace loving man I would have clubbed the guy. What a mean thing to do... Some may call it a warning, but, there are sufficient warnings within the confines of the attraction and he is just assuming that everyone will react the same as he "claimed" he did, but, we all know how much drama people tend to put into stories. I know at least two people that decided not to go on it because of that clown. He even used the same argument for the green side. I hate that.

I definitely understand the point. I think the problem with M:S is that it began to seriously narrow the types of people who COULD ride and it wasn't as simple as, say, people who can go on rollercoasters will be fine with M:S, and also many people don't understand what the ride mechanism entails. People who could get sick on the teacups might try M:S not knowing exactly if it's different than something like Star Tours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom