Mission:Space update (confirmed)

rael ramone

My thoughts on experiencing this...

The good - Giving Green a different mission gives those who can handle Orange another option. I agree that the Orange ride feels plussed a bit.

The not as good - Having experienced Green for the first time, it doesn't have the interest that Orange does. (Those who can only do Green may now have a lesser experience content wise). The 'lieutenant' was a definite downgrade, mostly for his 'uniform' (looked like he was dressed to be a panelist on Options Action and not the 2nd in command for CABCOM for a Mars Mission)... And a general nitpick - human beings do not look good in hi def (this was an issue with the previous version as well). And please light the wheel...

Overall, as an Orange rider, I think it was a net plus. The ride portion was a bit better, the preshow part was (except for the lieutenant) a lateral move...

Biff215

Rode green twice in the past week. The new screens were definitely a big upgrade. Excited that my 43" tall son could finally ride, turned out to be his new favorite even though he could barely reach the buttons or see the screen.

Personally I was completely bored with the new mission. Pre-kids I always did orange and enjoyed it, and then moved to green the past 4-5 years with my daughter. Thought the green Mars mission did a pretty good job simulating the entire flight. This new green just seemed boring to me, with the button pushing feeling forced, one after the other heading out and coming back. While the visuals were crisp, it didn't really show anything special, kind of like looking at Google Earth from that distance. And I was never a big Gary fan for this attraction, but I found myself missing him as well.

Happy MS got some love here, just wish they didn't tone it down to that degree. Even though it was showing no FP availability while we were there, both sides were still a walk on which is telling.

Jeff456

I enjoyed the changes to Orange but miss Gary to be honest, overall it's still a net gain though for sure.
I did green for the first time ever I was impressed by the range of movement it simulated without spinning, the movie however was dull, I won't be doing it again.

Cesar R M

I enjoyed the changes to Orange but miss Gary to be honest, overall it's still a net gain though for sure.
I did green for the first time ever I was impressed by the range of movement it simulated without spinning, the movie however was dull, I won't be doing it again.
Who replaces his voicework ?

AEfx

Oh, I'd say there is something wrong with it. At times, it suggests you are simply going through flight training, and at other times, it suggests you are actually going into space.

What about those makes them mutually exclusive?

No Name

What about those makes them mutually exclusive?

Okay, I guess I worded it poorly.

At times, it suggests you're not actually leaving the earth, explicitly using the word "simulator" and showing pictures of training on earth. At other times, it suggests you're actually going into space.

andre85

Indeed.

And they highlight that right at the end: "Welcome to Mars!"

One woulda thunk theyda say: "Congratulations! You've passed your training and you're ready to go to Mars!"

This actually makes complete sense and I'm not sure why some find it so confusing. It's treated as a simulation up until the actual simulation itself--at which point it's considered "real," as part of the training. It's like a fire drill.

Edit: Plus, the ride again acknowledges the entire thing was training when (as you suggest), at the very end, the head of training also says "Welcome to Mars" AND THEN "and welcome to the Astronaut Corps," which is obviously not something she would say to someone who actually just landed on Mars in real-life

Last edited:

AEfx

Gina Torres, I had not heard of her till I read it in this thread but she looks like she is in lots of things!

Yeah, she's quite well-known in the genre circles - she starred on Firefly, had recurring roles on Alias, Angel, 24, Westworld...lots of VO work and TV guest roles, and she's married to Laurence Fishburne. She's one of those people that isn't a household name, but once you know who she is you start to see her everywhere, LOL.

Okay, I guess I worded it poorly.

At times, it suggests you're not actually leaving the earth, explicitly using the word "simulator" and showing pictures of training on earth. At other times, it suggests you're actually going into space.

Ah, okay. I got ya. I didn't notice that myself. I'll have to watch a video to refresh my memory.

Personally, I really liked the change. It's funny deciding that and then reading the feedback - it seems most people aren't that keen on it. I've never been a fan of the ride in general (it's the only theme park ride that has ever made me feel claustrophobic - I can do it, but as soon as that hatch opens my behind is out of there). And I'm pretty Gary Sinese neutral (I can take him or leave him).

What I think I like about it is that it feels more realistic, for lack of a better word. It's much more conceivable that we take a short trip to space and back versus going to Mars in our lifetimes, at least for the vast majority of us. I know it sounds odd, but it let me immerse myself a bit more in it. I also feel like this one is more of a complete experience - unlike the end of the last one, which just made me sad because it reminded me that the entire attraction as it stands was just supposed to be a pre-show for what it was originally supposed to be.

Epcot82Guy

We just rode both sides last weekend. I think it was an upgrade overall, no doubt. I'm a bit surprised by the green disappointment here. I enjoyed the old green once (first time I rode the attraction). But, it was never that enjoyable after since I always compared it to Orange from then out. Now, it's not "thrilling" per se - but rather Soarin':Space. I thought it was a neat concept that I enjoyed, especially with the visuals. I would definitely consider making time for both sides now.

As for Gina, I thought it was a nice use of a new actress. Keeping the script virtually in tact was a nice touch. I actually enjoyed her during the orange mission - but I interpreted it as restrained control vs. being flat. (I can see both sides, though.) It felt more like a training mission, and she's trying to be the calm captain for us when we are in trouble. The original felt more "real in the moment" - but I think both work.

I do miss Destiny (since I miss the constant removal of Epcot songs) - but overall a very solid upgrade IMHO.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A bit late with my review, but I finally rode the new Green side.

Overall, I enjoyed it as a gentler ride that is available for more people. What's funny is that it felt VERY short, but my guess is that it is the same ride length as before, but the mars mission had more action.

That led me to thinking about mission:space overall....that originally the ride was short because it was dealing with more intense g-forces, etc. and since the new green version is a different experience, that if they don't have long wait times, they should make the ride itself a bit longer.

I thought it was interesting they showed a massive hurricane next to Florida on the ride as well, not sure how I feel about that.

bclane

A bit late with my review, but I finally rode the new Green side.

Overall, I enjoyed it as a gentler ride that is available for more people. What's funny is that it felt VERY short, but my guess is that it is the same ride length as before, but the mars mission had more action.

That led me to thinking about mission:space overall....that originally the ride was short because it was dealing with more intense g-forces, etc. and since the new green version is a different experience, that if they don't have long wait times, they should make the ride itself a bit longer.

I thought it was interesting they showed a massive hurricane next to Florida on the ride as well, not sure how I feel about that.
The hurricane just means that they're keepin it real.

trainplane3

Why did they take him out?! Unnecessary change. Although I haven't been on the new version yet
I can't remember the exact reason, someone else will need to chime in. Probably to break the "connection" with Mission to Mars or maybe something political (please correct me!!)? Gina Torres is good, just too bad they didn't polish the script or had her act with more emotion. It's almost like there's just a lady Gary on screen (picturing Gary in drag...ugh).

The refurb is my idea of a solid refurb. Go in, clean up, update visuals/audio, update lighting, done. (Personally) It didn't make the ride any worse, it just updated what needed to be updated and that was it. Orange is very pretty now, green is pretty but not exciting until the end (I want that ending with full forces). Two different missions are a nice bonus

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom