Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Ralphlaw

I still say that Epcot could host science fairs, bring in guest speakers, host TED talks, be a place where new products are announced, and otherwise be a dynamic place where truly newsworthy events take place. Why aren't the latest Nobel Laureates brought to Epcot in the same way that Super Bowl MVPs are brought over? Why aren't the latest cell phones unveiled at Epcot? Why aren't Josh Gates, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Jim Cantore, and the Outrageous Acts of Science people brought in? Set aside a buck a day from each guest to the park, and you'll have over $11,000,000 for a yearly budget to do something real. That's over $30,000 per day. By comparison, amortize the cost of building and add on the daily cost of manning, cleaning, maintaining and powering an attraction like Mission Space. Such a program would be a bargain by comparison.

Let them hawk their latest books, DVDs and other merch, and real amazing people could be brought in. Substance would be nice, and it would be a lot cheaper than building, manning and maintaining another multi-multi million dollar attraction that may or may not appeal to the public.

Also, a whole new audience of engineers, scientists and other gear & propeller heads would show up and/or buy Annual Passes. Plus, if it doesn't work, drop it. Dumping the guest speaker/visitor/unveiler program is a heck of a lot cheaper than closing down a huge attraction.

RoysCabin

I still say that Epcot could host science fairs, bring in guest speakers, host TED talks, be a place where new products are announced, and otherwise be a dynamic place where truly newsworthy events take place. Why aren't the latest Nobel Laureates brought to Epcot in the same way that Super Bowl MVPs are brought over? Why aren't the latest cell phones unveiled at Epcot? Why aren't Josh Gates, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Jim Cantore, and the Outrageous Acts of Science people brought in? Set aside a buck a day from each guest to the park, and you'll have over $11,000,000 for a yearly budget to do something real. That's over $30,000 per day. By comparison, amortize the cost of building and add on the daily cost of manning, cleaning, maintaining and powering an attraction like Mission Space. Such a program would be a bargain by comparison.

Let them hawk their latest books, DVDs and other merch, and real amazing people could be brought in. Substance would be nice, and it would be a lot cheaper than building, manning and maintaining another multi-multi million dollar attraction that may or may not appeal to the public.

Also, a whole new audience of engineers, scientists and other gear & propeller heads would show up and/or buy Annual Passes. Plus, if it doesn't work, drop it. Dumping the guest speaker/visitor/unveiler program is a heck of a lot cheaper than closing down a huge attraction.

Yeah, I've said before I think this would be a great use of some space in the Communicore/Innoventions buildings, set some areas aside for things like scientific demonstrations, talks/lectures/debates, chamber music concerts, art galleries, things like that, and engage with the local community, schools, and universities to have a steady stream of both content providers and audiences. Partner up radio platforms (XM?) or something to broadcast some of the talks and performances around, etc. Open Centorium back up to cater to people who'd like to buy some cool stuff associated with the various topics discussed therein. Really could be nice, even if it is just a pipe dream.

HMF

TeriofTerror

Iger vs. Eisner:
For TWDC as a whole, I'm voting for Iger. Eisner was just absolutely toxic when it came to relationships.
But theme parks specifically? Eisner all the way. Iger seems to treat them like an embarrassment he'd prefer to pretend doesn't exist... until he needs money.

lnsemsf

The WDWMagic refurbishment site (http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm) still lists Mission: Space as completing refurbishments on July 31, but others had mentioned that it was behind schedule. I'll be at WDW July 29th through August 5th... any chance it'll be reopened by then, or no chance?

The official refurbishment calendar that Disney publishes for travel agents has now changed to an open ended date. When they say TBD it means that they do not have a handle on how long the delay is going to be. Don't expect it to be open for your trip.

Phineas

Iger vs. Eisner:
For TWDC as a whole, I'm voting for Iger. Eisner was just absolutely toxic when it came to relationships.
But theme parks specifically? Eisner all the way. Iger seems to treat them like an embarrassment he'd prefer to pretend doesn't exist... until he needs money.
I'm inclined to partially agree, but let's not forget Eisner's notorious penny pinching. They definitely both have their faults.

Indianajonze

i sure wish you guys would stay on topic. i'm VERY interested in the status of the mission space refurbishment as it's one of my favorite rides, which is why i'm reading this thread. sifting through the general merits of epcot and the competence of current and former disney heads is annoying. i'm sure there are other treads for that, aren't there? but what the hell do i know, i'm new here. maybe all threads pertaining to specific ride discussion devolve into such nonsense

Biff215

The official refurbishment calendar that Disney publishes for travel agents has now changed to an open ended date. When they say TBD it means that they do not have a handle on how long the delay is going to be. Don't expect it to be open for your trip.
Agreed. Several of us who have trips planned in August have reported that FP+ is currently unavailable throughout August. That could change, but until it does, it looks like September at the earliest. You'd have to think its opening might coincide with Energy's closing, otherwise having it closed all summer makes no sense.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
i sure wish you guys would stay on topic. i'm VERY interested in the status of the mission space refurbishment as it's one of my favorite rides, which is why i'm reading this thread. sifting through the general merits of epcot and the competence of current and former disney heads is annoying. i'm sure there are other treads for that, aren't there? but what the hell do i know, i'm new here. maybe all threads pertaining to specific ride discussion devolve into such nonsense
You're new to EVERY Disney site, then -- that's what happens on them... have yet to find one that doesn't.

HMF

The problem is we don't have any concrete information to discuss outside of possible new missions and general freshening of the attraction. Other than that, We have no idea what they are doing.

trainplane3

For something that was sounding "only" like a possible new mission/updated cgi, I too am surprised how little has been said. Probably due to D23 next week.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
For something that was sounding "only" like a possible new mission/updated cgi, I too am surprised how little has been said. Probably due to D23 next week.
I am not a fan of saying wait for D23 for an announcement because then we get to D23 and we get nothing substantial. HOWEVER if some people's speculations are true about the new EPCOT plans being unveiled then Disney withholding info would make sense. They announce the new EPCOT design with a completion date of 2020-2022, then they counter it with photos and video of a whole new experience and a reimmagined experience at Mission Space opening Aug-Sep THIS YEAR! Helps soften the blow of closing attractions and multi year waits and constructionfor new things to come.

Would also make sense as to why this closed with little news or concept art as to the refresh. From what I have seen when Disney brings a ride down to make changes like this they drop a teaser as to what the changes will look like when it reopens. Heck we got info about the new pirates scene before we even knew the ride was going down! None of this happened for MS seems fishy to me.

EDIT: So I posted this and then headed over to the Energy Thread and was catching up on everything over there... anyway Martin dropping some not so subtle hints that more than a few EPCOT announcement MAY be made at D23. Not saying it confirms what I say but it's interesting.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom