Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Dizney Crew

Rode Green Mission tonight, and honestly I think its more "intense" then Soarin, but nothing too extreme. We took our 4 yr old on it tonight and she liked it, my wife didn't care for it as she thought it felt like she was just sitting there and didn't feel anything. I was a little wobbly when I got off but I'm not a fan of simulators either and I kept looking over at our daughter to check in on her instead of keeping my eyes on the screen, so maybe that had something to do with it. There was a ZERO min wait at 6:00pm for Green and Orange only had a 10 min wait, so for opening day and no lines, shows me there is still no interest in this attraction. Overall at least with this being open now, it will add another ride to EPCOT which is something that it needs.

trainplane3

Rode Green Mission tonight, and honestly I think its more "intense" then Soarin, but nothing too extreme. We took our 4 yr old on it tonight and she liked it, my wife didn't care for it as she thought it felt like she was just sitting there and didn't feel anything. I was a little wobbly when I got off but I'm not a fan of simulators either and I kept looking over at our daughter to check in on her instead of keeping my eyes on the screen, so maybe that had something to do with it. There was a ZERO min wait at 6:00pm for Green and Orange only had a 10 min wait, so for opening day and no lines, shows me there is still no interest in this attraction. Overall at least with this being open now, it will add another ride to EPCOT which is something that it needs.
I'm waiting for word to get out that green is different. The only people that really realise it's different is us. I wasn't really expecting it to be crazy busy today. I'll give it a couple months to see if it gains popularity.

Biff215

Is the new height the same for both missions? Or does the orange have a higher height requirement? What's everyone's opinion on a 4 year old riding the more intense of the two? I haven't been on this ride in years, wondering what's the extent of these changes. Thanks in advance
We've had my daughter on everything from Tower to RnRC as soon as she was tall enough. Even now at 9 and loving thrills, she chooses green only. I'm sure some 4 year olds could handle it (if they're 44"), but I think you run the risk of them getting sick or just scared to death, which could ruin everything else for them for a while.

I think the old green did a great job mimicking the orange without the spinning, interested to try the new green next week with my 9 and 4 year old.

cspencer96

I haven't been on the ride in like a decade. The trick to not getting sick on it is to just lay back in your seat right? I remember the first time I rode it I leaned forward and it made me a bit dizzy and like I couldn't breath
Right. Just keep your head back, resist the urge to close your eyes if you feel funny, and look straight ahead. It'll keep your inner ear from throwing your brain out of whack.

crxbrett

Right. Just keep your head back, resist the urge to close your eyes if you feel funny, and look straight ahead. It'll keep your inner ear from throwing your brain out of whack.

Yes. Just keep your head firmly pressed back against that seat and focus on the screen in front of you only. The more you concentrate on that video and focus on it, the less you will fill any spinning type of effects. I get super car sick sometimes, so I was quite fearful the first time I went on MS. Luckily, I have never gotten sick or felt any motion sickness on it whatsoever. I even rode on it after having a few drinks once - though I do not recommend doing that lol

DoTheImpossible

Green was always like that though.

Green used to provide some sort of movement. I've rode both missions dozens of times. Nowhere near as thrilling as orange, but it at least moved. Green has now been reduced to Soarin' with less movement, farther away. Green was an option for those who couldn't handle orange. Now it's a childrens option essentially. If that's what they were going for that's fine. Still, I even heard some kids commenting on how boring the new mission is...

lch6257

Can anyone here compare this ride to a graviton or super round up? I have not been on anything other than green but would like to try orange. I can handle the graviton and super round up but anything faster than that I don't think I'd be able to stand.
I have ridden both Gravitron and Super Round up many times, I would not compare mission space to either of those, it is a simulator experience. It is also a family favorite at Epcot and all 7 of us agreed it was much improved as we rode both Green and Orange this past Sat. My 5 year old had not been on MS or TT before and she liked both, but asked to pick, she said she liked TT a little better.

lch6257

Can one of our insiders find out if there's been any changes on the forces? It's probably in my head but I'm still curious.
I would love to know the answer to this as well, but I can say that we rode Green first Sat around 11AM and then 4 hours later came back and rode Orange and it felt more intense than we remember it. We were not sure if that was because we had ridden Green earlier or Orange was tweaked to be a touch more intense. I had never ridden Green before, but we all enjoyed it and would ride it again, even though we all prefer Orange, well 6/7 out of us do including the 5 year old. We were all (7 of us) happy with the refurb and agreed that MS stays on our must ride list whenever we visit Epcot. I's not as beautiful of an experience as Soarin, but it is always much easier to get on quickly and allows us to get a lot of thrills in each Epcot visit.

hokielutz

I was hoping for some improvements in the story itself, a good soundtrack, something else. But what we got is still a very welcome improvement.

The ride system requires that it do at least one full rotation. Otherwise green wouldn't rotate.

I guess the reason for the rotation on green is to maintain the overall mechanical health and keep the bearings loose.. The spin is not part of the ride experience because of how slow it goes, right?

hokielutz

I haven't been on the ride in like a decade. The trick to not getting sick on it is to just lay back in your seat right? I remember the first time I rode it I leaned forward and it made me a bit dizzy and like I couldn't breath

Keep your head back against the seat,
Look straight ahead,
Take several long deep breaths before liftoff and remember to keep breathing, even if it seems difficult.

But there are some people who are not 'wired' correctly to experience the Orange side of the attraction They'll feel the motion even if they do everything they are supposed to.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
But there are some people who are not 'wired' correctly to experience the Orange side of the attraction They'll feel the motion even if they do everything they are supposed to.
Or is everyone else wired wrongly?! ;)

Seriously though, individual reaction to MS can vary. The whole thing relies on tricking your brain into discarding the rotational feeling and be tricked that it is a forward motion. Some people still sense the rotation heavily, which does not match with the onscreen visuals, and then causes the issues.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've been on the ride probably a dozen times. I've only felt the motion twice; I attribute those events to slight mechanical roughness when the capsule was transitioning from "coasting" to "landing G's."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Keep your head back against the seat,
Look straight ahead,
Take several long deep breaths before liftoff and remember to keep breathing, even if it seems difficult.

There's also tricks that stunt and test pilots do: tightening the leg muscles and scrunching the torso (similar to grunting but closing off any vocalization, or, ab crunches). This forces blood to the brain so there's no pooling of blood in the back of your head while the frontal cortex is drained. Of course, at 1.5 Gs, it's not that big a deal for most people at most times, but, when blood pressure suddenly changes, there are times the body doesn't react and correct fast enough and the body-tightening helps it along. And you got to keep breathing as you do it.

EPCOTCenterLover

Or is everyone else wired wrongly?! ;)

Seriously though, individual reaction to MS can vary. The whole thing relies on tricking your brain into discarding the rotational feeling and be tricked that it is a forward motion. Some people still sense the rotation heavily, which does not match with the onscreen visuals, and then causes the issues.
That's me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom