Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Daveeeeed

I do miss Eisner as well. His worst days were arguably better than Iger's best. I feel that no one associated with either of them should be the next CEO however.
Eisner is the man that killed Epcot. Why was he a good thing? He also completely destroyed Walt Disney Animation and made crappy opening day parks like Walt Disney Studios, California Adventure, Hong Kong Disneyland, and to a lesser extent even Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios (Hollywood in Orlando would end up failing). Michael Eisner was a great CEO until the mid to late 90's, at that point he should have been replaced. Might I mention that Eisner was also going to shut down Walt Disney Animation, and hated Pixar for no apparent reason?

Eisner was terrible for Disney in every way especially towards the end of his stay at Disney. Him working for Paramount before was good and was why he was successful in the beginning, but he fizzled out towards the end.

Iger, on the other hand, has fixed DCA, approved the expansion of Hong Kong which will make it a world-class park, made DCA a world class park, revitalized Walt Disney Animation, acquired epic companies like Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel that have great content and been successful since day one. Mind you under him he has also opened the most complete opening day Disney park ever in Shanghai, and did not overbuild the resort hotels as a whole like Eisner did for Paris. Iger also is bringing back Disney World. He's also tripled Disney's stock and would be higher if it weren't for ESPN's decrease being out of his control. Technically you can blame that on Eisner as it was a ticking time bomb since they bullied providers into bundling it at a higher cost. Iger is not perfect, but his attitude towards the company has been great for Disney. Of course, if Disney is not acquired that will be the biggest win.

I don't agree with the change of direction in the parks... ex. EPCOT's mission statement going bye bye, but that already began with Eisner....

HMF

Eisner is the man that killed Epcot. Why was he a good thing? He also completely destroyed Walt Disney Animation and made crappy opening day parks like Walt Disney Studios, California Adventure, Hong Kong Disneyland, and to a lesser extent even Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Michael Eisner was a great CEO until the mid to late 90's, at that point he should have been replaced.

Iger, on the other hand, has fixed DCA, approved expansion of Hong Kong which will make it a world-class park, made DCA a world class park, revitalized Walt Disney Animation, aquired epic companies like Pixar, Lucasfilms, and Marvel that have great content and been successful since day one. Mind you under him he has also opened the most complete opening day Disney park ever in Shanghai, and did not overbuild the resort hotels as a whole like Eisner did for Paris. Iger also is bringing back Disney World. He's also tripled Disney's stock and would be higher if it weren't for ESPN's decrease being out of his control. Technically you can blame that on Eisner as it was a ticking time bomb since they bullied providers into bundling it at a higher cost. Iger is not perfect, but his attitude towards the company has been great for Disney. Of course, if Disney is not acquired that will be the biggest win.

I don't agree with the change of direction in the parks... ex. EPCOT's mission statement going bye bye, but that already began with Eisner....
Eisner didn't kill Epcot, He changed it's direction slightly but he didn't kill it completely like Iger has and will continue to.

Daveeeeed

Eisner didn't kill Epcot, He changed it's direction slightly but he didn't kill it completely like Iger has and will continue to.
The park will not die. Only the message will. It's a big deal for me, but I will far prefer it to how it has been.

Under Eisner, the park did literally die.

Destroyed rides like Horizons and Imagination. He brought a crappy iteration of Nemo in. There's no contest.

HMF

The park will not die. Only the message will. It's a big deal for me, but I will far prefer it to how it has been.

Under Eisner, the park did literally die.

Destroyed rides like Horizons and Imagination. He brought a crappy iteration of Nemo in. There's no contest.
Nemo was on Iger's watch. The message is critical to the park and to the world. I will not let it die without a fight.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20170704_174136.jpg
I like it better in it's current state.....bring back Horizons!! Lol

Daveeeeed

How? Test Track, Space and Imagination at least attempted to fit the themes of Future World. Under Iger, We have gotten and are getting an IP invasion.
An IP invasion is better when at least the quality is what we come to expect from Disney. Test Track is the only good ride that replaced what was there before, and even then, shops and exteriors/interiors never got updated which they should have. Soarin' is also a replacement, but it replaced yet another inferior replacement Food Rocks to Kitchen Kaberet. Not to mention there is a reason why Roy tried as much as he good to get rid of Eisner.

Imagination, Nemo (which could somewhat fit if put in properly), and Horizons were disasters. HOW ON EARTH is that better than getting good IP based rides like Ratatouille? It's a compromise.

Epcot has been Ipcot, starting with Eisner, but Iger's Ipcot is better than seeing the park itself rot, and Eisner was the one that started letting Epcot rot and change it to IPcot at the same time.

What did Iger do to Epcot? It has been in the same state since Eisner's destruction.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

How? Test Track, Space and Imagination at least attempted to fit the themes of Future World. Under Iger, We have gotten and are getting an IP invasion.
You always cry about how old EPCOT is gone and never coming back and it's all Iger's fault... but Iger has done very little to ruin Epcot from how it was the day he took over as CEO.

Eisner was the CEO when they demo'd Horizons.
Eisner was the CEO when they got rid of WoM.
Eisney was CEO when they ruined Communicore.
Eisner was CEO when they ruined the original Imagination Pavilion.
Eisner was CEO when they made the decision to put Nemo into The Seas Pavilion.
Eisner was CEO when Wonders of Life went seasonal.

Please tell me, what makes Eisner better than Iger?

Daveeeeed

You always cry about how old EPCOT is gone and never coming back and it's all Iger's fault... but Iger has done very little to ruin Epcot from how it was the day he took over as CEO.

Thank you for sharing the facts!!

Chef Mickey

Who is CEO when EPCOT and DHS are on life support and AK was until Pandora opened? The parks are in a terrible state at the moment and I'm the biggest Disney apologist on this board.

Do the same thing for the rides we got under Iger versus hat was built on Eisner's watch.

Eisner wasn't perfect, but something like Mission Space was an attempt to be cool (I still think it is) and was a $100M+ investment. At least it wasn't just a cheap give up like Frozen for Maelstrom or closing Snow White for a half baked 7DMT and terrible New Fantasyland.

I'll go over the highlights.

Iger
New Fantasyland - TOTAL miss, took too long, nothing amazing AT ALL
7DMT - Utterly too short and disappointing
Mermaid - Complete miss
Frozen - Fine, but lazy and deleted a ride that was fine to get it
Snow White - Closed for no reason
Toy Story - solid, not great
Pandora - very solid, still should be slightly better in terms of ride offering
Star Wars - Better be great, impossible to screw up unless he does. Taking too long.
Toy Story land - Two carnival rides look dead on arrival.
Test Track refurb - I believe ruined a great ride.
Pirates - essentially ruined with too much Depp.
BILLIONS spent and wasted on an IT project that should be used for attractions, maintenance, expansion.
Rivers of Light - Terrible, half baked show...delayed to get a subpar result.
Maintenance is seemingly always bad under Iger
Raised prices like crazy while cutting costs at the expense of quality.
I give him credit for acquisitions.

Eisner
Animal Kingdom park - alone probably a bigger accomplishment than anything Iger did...everything in it including Kilimanjaro, a true E-Ticket.
Hollywood Studios Park - That's 2 parks out of the 4.
Water Parks - Again, at least trying to expand.
Everest - E-Ticket. One of the best rides ever built, Iger's fault never fixing it.
ToT - True E-Ticket. One of the greatest rides ever built
Splash Mountain - True E-ticket. One of the greatest rides ever built, universally loved.
Dinosaur - E-Ticket
Soarin' - E-Ticket
Test Track - true E-ticket. Incredibly ambitious, massive attraction (since ruined)
Mission Space - E-ticket. At least ambitious and I think is really unique/cool.
Fantasmic - Universally loved.
MANY hotels

Eisner had his issues, but from a Disney WORLD parks and attractions perspective, it isn't close. More E-tickets were built on Eisner's watch (I listed 8 still operating and popular today) than Iger could shake a stick at with the only one being FoP at Pandora.

The only reason Iger could ignore and ruin at least 2 of the parks today is because Eisner built so much while he was CEO. Since WDW wasn't in rubble, Iger could squeeze margin and expand elsewhere.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Who is CEO when EPCOT and DHS are on life support and AK was until Pandora opened? The parks are in a terrible state at the moment and I'm the biggest Disney apologist on this board.

Do the same thing for the rides we got under Iger versus hat was built on Eisner's watch.

Eisner wasn't perfect, but something like Mission Space was an attempt to be cool (I still think it is) and was a $100M+ investment. At least it wasn't just a cheap give up like Frozen for Maelstrom or closing Snow White for a half baked 7DMT and terrible New Fantasyland.

I'll go over the highlights.

Iger
New Fantasyland - TOTAL miss, took too long, nothing amazing AT ALL
7DMT - Utterly too short and disappointing
Mermaid - Complete miss
Frozen - Fine, but lazy and deleted a ride that was fine to get it
Snow White - Closed for no reason
Toy Story - solid, not great
Pandora - very solid, still should be slightly better in terms of ride offering
Star Wars - Better be great, impossible to screw up unless he does. Taking too long.
Toy Story land - Two carnival rides look dead on arrival.
Test Track refurb - I believe ruined a great ride.
Pirates - essentially ruined with too much Depp.
BILLIONS spent and wasted on an IT project that should be used for attractions, maintenance, expansion.
Festival of Light - Terrible, half baked show.
Maintenance is seemingly always bad under Iger
Raised prices like crazy while cutting costs.
I give him credit for acquisitions

Eisner
Animal Kingdom park - alone probably a bigger accomplishment than anything Iger did...everything in it including Kilimanjaro, a true E-Ticket.
Hollywood Studios Park - That's 2 parks out of the 4.
Water Parks - Again, at least trying to expand.
Everest - E-Ticket. One of the best rides ever built, Iger's fault never fixing it.
ToT - True E-Ticket. One of the greatest rides ever built
Splash Mountain - True E-ticket. One of the greatest rides ever built, universally loved.
Dinosaur - E-Ticket
Test Track - true E-ticket. incredibly ambitious, great ambitious attraction (since ruined)
Mission Space - E-ticket. At least ambitious and I think is really unique/cool.
Fantasmic - Universally loved.
MANY hotels

Eisner had his issues, but from a Disney WORLD parks and attractions perspective, it isn't close. More E-tickets were built on Eisner's watch (I listed 7 still operating and popular today) than Iger could shake a stick at with the only one being FoP at Pandora.

The only reason Iger could ignore and ruin the at least 2 of the parks today is because Eisner built so much while he was CEO and Iger could squeeze margin and expand elsewhere.
Eisner was an epic CEO for the entire company until the late 90's.

All the things you mentioned are his early term when he was doing great for the company. He successfully made money off of small hits in the box office, he added to the park's, but you are missing two things VERY IMPORTANT.

Eisner's Hollywood Studios was rushed to compete with Universal Studios and it was a failed concept. Literally penned as a half day park. Only had what? 3 rides?

Animal Kingdom opened with 2 rides!!!! TWO!!! Kilimanjaro Safaris and Countdown to Extinction. Kali River Rapids/Asia was followed shortly, but it was a D-ticket at best with its super short length and zero thrills.

Expedition Everest is an epic ride (did I say it was epic?), but the ride has flaws. It wasn't as good as it should have been for the scale. Although I'm not complaining, I do give Eisner props for it, but it was built mainly for the reason that the park was underbuilt.

Toy Story Midway Mania is the best interactive ride ever made. It may not be a super headliner, but it is certainly an E-ticket. Something about it is just so damn fun, and that's what a theme park is all about: FUN. It was one hell of a win then and it is one hell of a win now.

Must I mention Eisner's destruction of the animation division (right before The Little Mermaid, he wanted to close it!) in the late 90's into the 2000's. His fued with Pixar that almost cost Disney their partnership. I mean he literally opened Disneyland Paris and overbuilt the resort, so of course it was going to initially fail.

He destroyed the Disney theme park name making s#%£ parks like Walt Disney Studios, the original Disney's California Adventure, and even to a lesser extent Disney's Hollywood Studios, and the original Animal Kingdom (unlike DCA just being bad everywhere this park was just severely underbuilt).

Notice that while I hate Disney's treatment of The Walt Disney World Resort, every problem that they have now was because of Eisner. Oh and yes there was a lack of investment, but we are now getting it, so stay tuned.

Did I mention that under Iger DCA has become second to worst to one of the best theme parks in the world?

Oh and that's not to mention how good Iger has been for the company TRIPLING THE STOCK, acquiring 3 of the best movie companies the world has ever known, fixing Walt Disney Animation, repairing theme parks like Disney California Adventure and soon to be many others, and the list goes on and on too.

My friends, there is a reason a man, Roy E. Disney, wanted to rid the Walt Disney Company of this man. Eisner's time was up a decade before he left, and had he left then, he would have been viewed as a CEO that made Disney so good, but in turn his last few years were disastrous.

If you want to be fair with comparisons of things done, compare the amount of E-tickets shuttered for inferior attractions, and compare the upcoming attractions (for example, Expedition Everest had nothing to do with Iger). Walt Disney World has been in a terrible state for the last 20 years, but things are changing for the better, unlike Eisner changing for the worse.
What makes it even worse is the fact that Eisner repeatedly made mistakes, whether DCA, Hong Kong, etc. There was a reason that people were flocking to Tokyo Disney SEA yet he completely ignored that reason.

If you haven't stepped through Cars Land I suggest you do. Such an epic land for what's now (surprise, because of Iger) an epic park. People are not going to see eye to eye with me; that's a fact and there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish people would stop hating on a CEO that's clearly doing a better job than Eisner and will leave the parks in far better shape. That doesn't mean I won't get frustrated (closing GMR for Mickey... really?) but as a whole moves in the future seem to be for the better.

Oh, and Iger's team is about to fix Mission: Space, another one of Eisner's (albeit one of his better) mistakes. But it came at a cost of Horizons. The godawful thing that is there today at Epcot? Figment? That was done by Eisner. Wonders of Life going seasonal to its death? That was Eisner. Closing 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea? That was Eisner. Mr. Toad? You guessed it. Not expanding the Monorail when it was more feasible? That was Eisner (funny to talk about but it is true).

My rant is coming to a close, so thank you for reading. Now I am not a Pixie Duster. But the bottom line is that Iger has been much better than Eisner was, and especially how he left the company.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

Eisner was an epic CEO for the entire company until the late 90's.

All the things you mentioned are his early term when he was doing great for the company. He successfully made money off of small hits in the box office, he added to the park's, but you are missing two things VERY IMPORTANT.

Eisner's Hollywood Studios was rushed to compete with Universal Studios and it was a failed concept. Literally penned as a half day park. Only had what? 3 rides?

Animal Kingdom opened with 2 rides!!!! TWO!!! Kilimanjaro Safaris and Countdown to Extinction. Kali River Rapids/Asia was followed shortly, but it was a D-ticket at best with its super short length and zero thrills.

Expedition Everest is an epic ride (did I say it was epic?), but the ride has flaws

Toy Story Midway Mania is the best interactive ride ever made. It may not be a super headliner, but it is certainly an E-ticket. Something about it is just so damn fun, and that's what a theme park is all about: FUN. It was one hell of a win then and it is one hell of a win now.

Must I mention Eisner's destruction of the animation division (right before The Little Mermaid, he wanted to close it!) in the late 90's into the 2000's. His fued with Pixar that almost cost Disney their partnership. I mean he literally opened Disneyland Paris and overbuilt the resort, so of course it was going to initially fail.

He destroyed the Disney theme park name making s#%£ parks like Walt Disney Studios, the original Disney's California Adventure, and even to a lesser extent Disney's Hollywood Studios, and the original Animal Kingdom (unlike DCA just being bad everywhere this park was just severely underbuilt).

Notice that while I hate Disney's treatment of The Walt Disney World Resort, every problem that they have now was because of Eisner. Oh and yes there was a lack of investment, but we are now getting it, so stay tuned.

Did I mention that under Iger DCA has become second to worst to one of the best theme parks in the world?

Oh and that's not to mention how good Iger has been for the company TRIPLING THE STOCK, acquiring 3 of the best movie companies the world has ever known, fixing Walt Disney Animation, repairing theme parks like Disney California Adventure and soon to be many others, and the list goes on and on too.

My friends, there is a reason a man, Roy E. Disney, wanted to rid the Walt Disney Company of this man. Eisner's time was up a decade before he left, and had he left then, he would have been viewed as a CEO that made Disney so good, but in turn his last few years were disastrous.

If you want to be fair with comparisons of things done, compare the amount of E-tickets shuttered for inferior attractions, and compare the upcoming attractions (for example, Expedition Everest had nothing to do with Iger). Walt Disney World has been in a terrible state for the last 20 years, but things are changing for the better, unlike Eisner changing for the worse.
What makes it even worse is the fact that Eisner repeatedly made mistakes, whether DCA, Hong Kong, etc. There was a reason that people were flocking to Tokyo Disney SEA yet he completely ignored that reason.

If you haven't stepped through Cars Land I suggest you do. Such an epic land for what's now (surprise, because of Iger) an epic park.

Oh, and Iger's team is about to fix Mission: Space, another one of Eisner's (albeit one of his better) mistakes. But it came at a cost of Horizons. The godawful thing that is there today at Epcot? Figment? That was done by Eisner. Wonders of Life going seasonal to its death? That was Eisner. Closing 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea? That was Eisner. Mr. Toad? You guessed it. Not expanding the Monorail when it was more feasible? That was Eisner (funny to talk about but it is true).

My rant is coming to a close, so thank you for reading. Now I am not a Pixie Duster. But the bottom line is that Iger has been much better than Eisner was, and especially how he left the company.
Truthfully there are threads for this very topic but I'm just going to get one word in and be done for the sake of the topic.

Both men have been both great and terrible for the company in many aspects. Eisner built MGM Studios to compete with Universal down the road but MGM was a true full day experience. I'm the first few years of opening the park stayed open to midnight all the time. The park had an theme and central core identity. That also came with Star Tours and the sunset blvd expansion which brought one of the greatest rides of all time made by Disney.

Animal Kingdom is the jewel of the USA Disney parks and can be compared to DisneySea for its attention to real detail. The park opened with little yes, and it still suffers but there were plenty of beautiful animal trails and real detail that the park in itself was an attraction. Iger announced Pandora as a knee jerk reaction to Harry Potter and that took way to long to be built. It's just now open. Everest was added under Eisner and while the ride had flaws, why has Iger not fixed then? He's had how many years now? And how many years has he had to add more expansions?

TSMM - All based on opinion but you'll never see the wait for it in California like you do Hollywood Studios. Why? It's the only true family ride other then Great Movie Ride. (Speaking of, one of the great Disney classics yet rather than add capacity to a small park, Iger is just replacing? Now how is this helping the "under built" park that Eisner built? The park is just now...just now getting expansions which the earliest is still a year away! The last major addition to Hollywood Studios was the Frozen Sing A Long! And when all is built, the park will continue to struggle with its identity and theme and still have horrible capacity problems.

We shouldn't be waiting so long for expansion. It's truly pathetic that parks like Epcot have had to rot. Yea Eisner really hurt Epcot but Iger is going to kill it. Stuffing IPS into a park that never needed them. At least the terrible Eisner replacements were original ideas. Under Iger we got a revamped Test Track and Frozen in Norway. A place it does not belong.

The list could go on and on but there really is no point. Both have done good and both are really no better then the other.

Daveeeeed

Truthfully there are threads for this very topic but I'm just going to get one word in and be done for the sake of the topic.

Both men have been both great and terrible for the company in many aspects. Eisner built MGM Studios to compete with Universal down the road but MGM was a true full day experience. I'm the first few years of opening the park stayed open to midnight all the time. The park had an theme and central core identity. That also came with Star Tours and the sunset blvd expansion which brought one of the greatest rides of all time made by Disney.

Animal Kingdom is the jewel of the USA Disney parks and can be compared to DisneySea for its attention to real detail. The park opened with little yes, and it still suffers but there were plenty of beautiful animal trails and real detail that the park in itself was an attraction. Iger announced Pandora as a knee jerk reaction to Harry Potter and that took way to long to be built. It's just now open. Everest was added under Eisner and while the ride had flaws, why has Iger not fixed then? He's had how many years now? And how many years has he had to add more expansions?

TSMM - All based on opinion but you'll never see the wait for it in California like you do Hollywood Studios. Why? It's the only true family ride other then Great Movie Ride. (Speaking of, one of the great Disney classics yet rather than add capacity to a small park, Iger is just replacing? Now how is this helping the "under built" park that Eisner built? The park is just now...just now getting expansions which the earliest is still a year away! The last major addition to Hollywood Studios was the Frozen Sing A Long! And when all is built, the park will continue to struggle with its identity and theme and still have horrible capacity problems.

We shouldn't be waiting so long for expansion. It's truly pathetic that parks like Epcot have had to rot. Yea Eisner really hurt Epcot but Iger is going to kill it. Stuffing IPS into a park that never needed them. At least the terrible Eisner replacements were original ideas. Under Iger we got a revamped Test Track and Frozen in Norway. A place it does not belong.

The list could go on and on but there really is no point. Both have done good and both are really no better then the other.
I agree that so far Iger has sucked. It's just disappointing to me that some people today want Eisner back. Yes HWS was a full day park when it opened, but the amount of people it could hold made it a half day park in the sense like Discovery Cove. A flawed concept from pretty much day one for an equally priced park. Might I mention that it could have been mostly fixed had Animal Kingdom been a presentable product from day one, or that Sunset Boulevard was an effort to accomadate the mistakes of Eisner with the park, or even that the entire East Hollywood concept failed. It also had the worse theming of any Disney park in the world of the 20th century, until of course Sunset Boulevard.

The Tower of Terror is a masterpiece, one that I applaud Eisner for allowing the Imagineers to create, but since it is the pinnacle with no other real substance then that would be like Iger opening Pandora and calling it a quits. It's thankfully not happening that way.

Animal Kingdom's Expedition Everest was an addition due to Eisner's original mistakes of the park being so small (ironic isn't it?). I won't argue that it is an epic park, it's my personal favorite at WDW, but when it opened it was definitely the worst park by a large margin not because of its quality, or by suffering from being new, but because of there being so little to do as Eisner was terrified of taking risks since Paris.

Iger has changed that with Shanghai, and like I've said, there has been at least 4 parks that opening day sucked because of Eisner's nonsensical fear late in his stay at Disney. Yes, he was great at first, but everything good he did was then. It's better to end on a high note than start on one and fail like Eisner did. Iger is going to be the opposite.

Hollywood Studios did not even have any true family rides until TSSM (an Eisner mistake as well)

The amount of money being thrown at the parks currently is staggering and while it won't fix all of the problems, it's far better than Eisner's last years which people seem to want to go back to.

Everything at WDW has been left to stagnate (well, since the late 90's...) from late Eisner to the first decade of Iger until Pandora. That's the turning point here. I'll leave it at that as like you've said there are so many threads already.

We just need to keep moving forward and stop trying to go back to the past. Whether it's people wanting Eisner back for misguided reasons, or people defending Iger for excessive uses of IPs. We still have to hold them accountable, but Iger is doing a much better job as of now.

Bottom line is that tons of people and myself are excited for this Mission: Space redo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom