Mission:Space update (confirmed)

sedati

Here's a newer model with more possible movements than the Mission Space set-up. All this one needs is the ability to go up and down.

misterID

I like it (for what it is.) but a worthy replacement for Horizons, it was not.
This, a thousand times. With all due respect to Eddie Sotto, no, they never "got" EPCOT. As much as I loved WOM, I do think the current TT is a nice replacement, or at least, I understand it. I will NEVER understand M:S, other than being an Imagineer ego project.

Yes, I know there are fans of M:S, yeah, these people exist. But unlike TT which actually brought in a new demo of riders (teenagers) this is an attraction that loses a significant demo as a large swath of people can't ride ... and comes with its own barf bag and a false interactive experience. They could have done something spectacular. It doesn't touch in any way shape or form the feeling those HUGE IMAX scenes produced. It doesn't have the charm of those incredible and artistic "future from yesterday AA scenes" had. But oddly enough, there is an element that shares the same feeling of staring at a screen and watching a space adventure. But unlike M:S, Horizons was actually INTERACTIVE where my actions influenced my experience. *grumble*

HMF

This, a thousand times. With all due respect to Eddie Sotto, no, they never "got" EPCOT. As much as I loved WOM, I do think the current TT is a nice replacement, or at least, I understand it. I will NEVER understand M:S, other than being an Imagineer ego project.

Yes, I know there are fans of M:S, yeah, these people exist. But unlike TT which actually brought in a new demo of riders (teenagers) this is an attraction that loses a significant demo as a large swath of people can't ride ... and comes with its own barf bag and a false interactive experience. They could have done something spectacular. It doesn't touch in any way shape or form the feeling those HUGE IMAX scenes produced. It doesn't have the charm of those incredible and artistic "future from yesterday AA scenes" had. But oddly enough, there is an element that shares the same feeling of staring at a screen and watching a space adventure. But unlike M:S, Horizons was actually INTERACTIVE where my actions influenced my experience. *grumble*
In fariness to Eddie Sotto, He just came up with the concept. The finished Product was done by Sue Bryan and Bob Zalk.

misterID

In fariness to Eddie Sotto, He just came up with the concept. The finished Product was done by Sue Bryan and Bob Zalk.
That was more a conversation I had with Eddie where he defended the replacement and M:S being what EPCOT was all about. Eddie's original idea with the two ride pavilion with the space walk dark ride was cool, but I got the feeling he never expected the dark ride to ever happen.

Had M:S not replaced Horizons I still wouldn't like it and wouldn't think it was a good attraction for EPCOT.

HMF

That was more a conversation I had with Eddie where he defended the replacement and M:S being what EPCOT was all about. Eddie's original idea with the two ride pavilion with the space walk dark ride was cool, but I got the feeling he never expected the dark ride to ever happen.

Had M:S not replaced Horizons I just wouldn't have liked it and still wouldn't think it was a good attraction for EPCOT.
I agree with Eddie in this case but it should not have replaced Horizons.

misterID

I agree with Eddie in this case but it should not have replaced Horizons.
A space pavilion would have been a good replacement with multiple attractions. His rundown of Horizons was not cool. Especially when I heard from two other Imagineers that the talking points weren't true. I'm not going to go off on a tangent but I'll say that WDI know how to sabotage an existing attraction to try and promote their ideas for an attraction. I'm not going to blame Eddie for his idea especially when tasked with making the park more hip to younger crowds. I believe he really did his best to make something original and cool and connected with science and IP free exploration. But when Imagineers spend zero time at EPCOT and actually talk about not getting (or liking) EPCOT inside WDI don't try to tell me what is good for that park.

matt9112

Because the nasa / military grade simulators are designed around a single occupant. Through put is not a consideration. They are designed with the rider facing along the path of travel and have 360 degree movement in pitch and roll. High g onset (rapid acceleration and deceleration) to simulate military aircraft..

You want to see what it looks like, click on the link I posted.

where can i ride it? russians take money right?

HMF

A space pavilion would have been a good replacement with multiple attractions. His rundown of Horizons was not cool. Especially when I heard from two other Imagineers that the talking points weren't true. I'm not going to go off on a tangent but I'll say that WDI know how to sabotage an existing attraction to try and promote their ideas for an attraction. I'm not going to blame Eddie for his idea especially when tasked with making the park more hip to younger crowds. I believe he really did his best to make something original and cool and connected with science and IP free exploration. But when Imagineers spend zero time at EPCOT and actually talk about not getting (or liking) EPCOT inside WDI don't try to tell me what is good for that park.
It doesn't surprise me there is contempt for Epcot within WDI. Seeing as how WDI is in California. Most Imagineers see Disneyland as the "Special" park and WDW as the dumping ground for the tourists.

GCTales

Here's a newer model with more possible movements than the Mission Space set-up. All this one needs is the ability to go up and down.

Not newer, per sea... That series was intended to be used for spatial disorientation. It was the basis for the cyber coaster at disneyquest.... Remove yaw and planetary arms and it is the basic cyber coaster (cyber coaster was widened to accommodate two riders).

You need the long arms on the current design to allow the throughput that Disney wanted.

Oh, and the company recently installed as system for the USAF at WPAFB that included heave (up and down) and sway (side to side)... Again- designed for one occupant and for disorientation training and research...

The size of the mission space motion base system was driven, in part, for the need to accommodate the number of riders Disney wanted.

PorterRedkey

Missions Space Zero G effect never worked IMO... and yes I was there for the soft open behind the walls in the very beginning. The intensity was more and I found it to be a far better ride but even so, it's still out of date, in many ways. I hope they update the screens and have some alternating missions etc... It is MISSION SPACE after all. We can go more places besides Mars, no?
The zero-G effect worked fine for me. It was not what I expected. The effect was cool, but it left my stomach turning.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
This was always one and done for me. I'd take Horizons over it. This would have been a great attraction at the Kennedy Space Center. Hopefully with any updates I go back to doing it again. Just personal gripes ... lol. I know people like the attraction.

Which is funny as they opened their own Space Shuttle experience ride around the same time....I rode that once, didn't get nausea, but it REALLY shakes you a lot for a while...not the most comfortable experience but probably accurate.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What always bothered me about the green side is that no additional movement was programmed into the capsules to make up for the lack of spinning. So you barely felt any sensation of movement for the majority of the flight. Hopefully this is being improved.

I disagree...I rode the original before they had the green side and I've been riding on the green side ever since. I think there's plenty of movement and so much so that I never missed the original (orange) side.

Anyway, one thing that Disney COULD do with the green side that they can't do with orange is give the ride different experiences based on button presses, joystick movement, etc.

I believe the big reason why they couldn't do that before is because it was a centrifuge, all of the vehicles had to be doing the same movement. Since the green side doesn't spin, they're practically all separate in that regard.

Goofyernmost

I disagree...I rode the original before they had the green side and I've been riding on the green side ever since. I think there's plenty of movement and so much so that I never missed the original (orange) side.

Anyway, one thing that Disney COULD do with the green side that they can't do with orange is give the ride different experiences based on button presses, joystick movement, etc.

I believe the big reason why they couldn't do that before is because it was a centrifuge, all of the vehicles had to be doing the same movement. Since the green side doesn't spin, they're practically all separate in that regard.
Couldn't they not be able to do that because there are four people in the module. Which joystick or button press would activate a specific subject. Seems like everyone wants the impossible, which as we all know, takes a little longer to become reality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom