Mission:Space update (confirmed)

Kamikaze

Seriously? So we blame him for everything we don't like, but he "gets out of the way" for everything good???? Really?

Who is 'we'? Don't box me in with the crazies on here that don't know how business works. But if you think Iger is hands on with things like decisions about animated movies, you're kidding yourself. He might approve the schedule, but he's not looking at storyboards.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Who is 'we'? Don't box me in with the crazies on here that don't know how business works. But if you think Iger is hands on with things like decisions about animated movies, you're kidding yourself. He might approve the schedule, but he's not looking at storyboards.
Cool. And I agree with you.

jaxonp

Exactly. Iger may have taken a backseat to updating WDW and some of DL and DLP but he was busy building the future so they could do what they're doing now. He knew marvel and Lucasfilm would play a huge role in the future of the company. Would we have all liked new attractions every year instead of new shows, random half-hearted updates to classics and resorts... sure. That said, we still needed all of that stuff. Now, it seems like it's project after project getting greenlit these days, hooray! Wdw in 5 years will be incredible. DL will finally, hopefully, Be jealous of WDW if Epcot gets all this new stuff being proposed and Studios continues it's reimagining plus don't forget the 50 pluses / 50 year celebration coming down the pipe at MK as well. So much is happening- why it took so long is another question, but things are moving now! Let's be happy!

Biff215

You know, the critiques of Iger in some ways might seem warranted at a micro level, such as bellyaching about the Imagination Pavilion or the TTA narration, but stepping back and looking at the greater accomplishments under Iger provides a big picture perspective. Specifically, the movie units are enjoying unprecedented success. We saw Guardians last night, and the previews for Disney company films are shocking: Pirates at the end of the month. Ragnarock later this year. Spiderman, with lots of screen time with Robert Downey's Ironman. And the next Start Wars movie at Christmas. That's a billion and a half dollars of movies that will eventuality add popularity to the parks with more guests and future additions. At Oscars a while back, it was Zootopia versus Moana for animated film. No one else came close. Pixar vs. Disney, and both owned by Disney.

Iger took office in 2005, and we now have two new huge Disney cruise ships with two more on the way. You can take a Disney ship to Alaska, Panama, Russia, and Italy. ESPN and ABC are surviving the tech invasion well. Adventures By Disney has become a premier tour agency. Shanghai Disney went from nothing to reality. At WDW, we have a new Fantasyland area, a Pandora on the horizon, DVC additions seemingly everywhere, Art of Animation, a redone Disney Springs, and a bunch of new stuff is coming like Rat, Star Wars and Pixar lands, and plenty of other pipeline projects. Yeah, yeti is still discoing, but I am confident that eventually he will be refurbed.

I'm not a fan of the IP invasion, especially at World Showcase, but that is not a reason to condemn the entire body of work of a corporate CEO. Consider that other huge companies like Woolworths, Eastman Kodak, Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Ward and others went bankrupt in the last couple decades, and one cannot help but imagine what the nostalgia buffs would have done to Disney.

Honestly, some of the banter on these boards comes off as whiny children complaining to mom about not having burgers or Mac & Cheese for dinner every night, or teens whining about not having the latest phone, fashion or car. Consider who pays for all of that, and perhaps a more mature viewpoint will be achieved.

When history is written, Iger will likely be seen as an amazingly able CEO who avoided corporate takeovers, built new parks, added ships, made dozens of huge movies, and brought the Disney customer lists to unprecedented heights. His work, or lack thereof, at WDW will ultimately be seen as net plusses even though he didn't open a fifth gate (yet) or solve every single customer complaint or keep all the nostalgia buffs at bay. Yeah, Future World's original ideal is watered down. Princesses don't belong there. Studios is temporarily not a full day park. Pandora took forever to build. My yeti is disgusting. Crowds are ridiculous. CM morale is not great (was it ever?). And yada yada yada. Yet the company is not just profitable, it is amazing, and people from all over the world continue to dump thousands of dollars (yes, thousands per family) to see movies and make great trips. Let's look at the donut for minute, and not just the hole.
Don't want to turn this thread into an Iger debate, as most of the things you listed are a matter of opinion. It was pointed out above that Zootopia and Moana were both Disney Animation, and although Marvel is certainly involved in Spider-Man, Sony (Columbia) is distributing that movie so Disney's profits there will be more limited.

Not sure how we even got here from Mission: Space, but I'm anxious to learn whether this refurb will bring new experiences or if it is just preparations for down the road. Hoping they can get it all done now, otherwise closing this for a majority of the summer would look a bit foolish IMO.

sedati

You know, the critiques of Iger in some ways might seem warranted at a micro level, such as bellyaching about the Imagination Pavilion or the TTA narration, but stepping back and looking at the greater accomplishments under Iger provides a big picture perspective. Specifically, the movie units are enjoying unprecedented success. We saw Guardians last night, and the previews for Disney company films are shocking: Pirates at the end of the month. Ragnarock later this year. Spiderman, with lots of screen time with Robert Downey's Ironman. And the next Start Wars movie at Christmas. That's a billion and a half dollars of movies that will eventuality add popularity to the parks with more guests and future additions. At Oscars a while back, it was Zootopia versus Moana for animated film. No one else came close. Pixar vs. Disney, and both owned by Disney.

Iger took office in 2005, and we now have two new huge Disney cruise ships with two more on the way. You can take a Disney ship to Alaska, Panama, Russia, and Italy. ESPN and ABC are surviving the tech invasion well. Adventures By Disney has become a premier tour agency. Shanghai Disney went from nothing to reality. At WDW, we have a new Fantasyland area, a Pandora on the horizon, DVC additions seemingly everywhere, Art of Animation, a redone Disney Springs, and a bunch of new stuff is coming like Rat, Star Wars and Pixar lands, and plenty of other pipeline projects. Yeah, yeti is still discoing, but I am confident that eventually he will be refurbed.

I'm not a fan of the IP invasion, especially at World Showcase, but that is not a reason to condemn the entire body of work of a corporate CEO. Consider that other huge companies like Woolworths, Eastman Kodak, Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Ward and others went bankrupt in the last couple decades, and one cannot help but imagine what the nostalgia buffs would have done to Disney.

Honestly, some of the banter on these boards comes off as whiny children complaining to mom about not having burgers or Mac & Cheese for dinner every night, or teens whining about not having the latest phone, fashion or car. Consider who pays for all of that, and perhaps a more mature viewpoint will be achieved.

When history is written, Iger will likely be seen as an amazingly able CEO who avoided corporate takeovers, built new parks, added ships, made dozens of huge movies, and brought the Disney customer lists to unprecedented heights. His work, or lack thereof, at WDW will ultimately be seen as net plusses even though he didn't open a fifth gate (yet) or solve every single customer complaint or keep all the nostalgia buffs at bay. Yeah, Future World's original ideal is watered down. Princesses don't belong there. Studios is temporarily not a full day park. Pandora took forever to build. My yeti is disgusting. Crowds are ridiculous. CM morale is not great (was it ever?). And yada yada yada. Yet the company is not just profitable, it is amazing, and people from all over the world continue to dump thousands of dollars (yes, thousands per family) to see movies and make great trips. Let's look at the donut for minute, and not just the hole.

Thank you for a well thought out post. I'd like to add something I've observed which is extensive refurbs. Clean coats of paint are nice, but things can be rotting away beneath and it seems that's what was happening for years if not decades. We've seen some massive refurbs that are more akin to building the whole thing over again. There's no added benefit other than longevity, but it's important nonetheless. Look at the amount of work restructuring the flows of Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Years of work, but not something that will make the news like a splashy new ride. Look at the work going into reorganizing roads and transportation. That's a huge investment. Unlike every person to have run the company (including Walt) I think Iger thinks more beyond his own term than the day at hand. He seems to want to set a foundation so solid only an idiot could run this company back down. Not everything has been perfect, but I think he will leave things much- much better than he found them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You know, the critiques of Iger in some ways might seem warranted at a micro level, such as bellyaching about the Imagination Pavilion or the TTA narration, but stepping back and looking at the greater accomplishments under Iger provides a big picture perspective..
He'll be remembered as a good corporate CEO.

Not necessarily a good WDC CEO.

HMF

Consider that other huge companies like Woolworths, Eastman Kodak, Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Ward and others went bankrupt in the last couple decades, and one cannot help but imagine what the nostalgia buffs would have done to Disney.
Personally, I would rather WDC go bankrupt than going the direction it is going.

HMF

The long stretch of nothing and the narration are really the only things that need work for Spaceship Earth. Of course a general refurbing of the attraction as well.
There are minor issues with the ascent I would like to see addressed.

HMF

But let's also remember how sorry it was ten years ago before the Siemens refurb. .
The only sorry thing about SSE at the time was the wand but I would prefer the Irons version with the wand than the Dench Version without it.

HMF

You have to be ****ing kidding. You'd rather an iconic company go out of business than to see your precious feelings hurt because you disagree with some decisions they've made?
I would rather see them go out of business so I can remember the great Company they used to be not the heartless corporation they have become.

Biff215

Thank you for a well thought out post. I'd like to add something I've observed which is extensive refurbs. Clean coats of paint are nice, but things can be rotting away beneath and it seems that's what was happening for years if not decades. We've seen some massive refurbs that are more akin to building the whole thing over again. There's no added benefit other than longevity, but it's important nonetheless. Look at the amount of work restructuring the flows of Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Years of work, but not something that will make the news like a splashy new ride. Look at the work going into reorganizing roads and transportation. That's a huge investment. Unlike every person to have run the company (including Walt) I think Iger thinks more beyond his own term than the day at hand. He seems to want to set a foundation so solid only an idiot could run this company back down. Not everything has been perfect, but I think he will leave things much- much better than he found them.
I agree the refurbs have been much better in recent years, but I'm not sure how much Iger ultimately has to do with them. I doubt he's micromanaging down to that level. Thinking beyond his own term? I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree on that one, and the parks are a prime example. Refurbs won't be enough to undo the damage done by drastic price increases and upcharge events IMO. It may not be evident yet, but I believe it will be unless something changes soon.

HMF

I agree the refurbs have been much better in recent years, but I'm not sure how much Iger ultimately has to do with them. I doubt he's micromanaging down to that level. .
Of course not that would require actual emotional investment in your product which Iger has little other than his pet acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom