Missing: Hidden Mickey In Haunted Mansion Dining Table

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Today: The hidden Mickey in the Haunted Mansion ballroom scene comprised of the plates on the dining table was "missing." In other words, the plates were spaced apart so as not to form the Mickey shape. This is the first time that I have ever seen this happen; over decades of time. I was shocked. :eek: I wasn't expecting it, so I couldn't get a picture.

Any ideas as to why this was the case?

SeaCastle

WED didn't put it there, thus not making it an official Hidden Mickey. I've heard a fair amount of criticism regarding this Hidden Mickey, so perhaps its better the HM is no longer there. Now guests can enjoy the rest of the scene instead of looking for it.

Mansion Butler

WED didn't put it there, thus not making it an official Hidden Mickey. I've heard a fair amount of criticism regarding this Hidden Mickey, so perhaps its better the HM is no longer there. Now guests can enjoy the rest of the scene instead of looking for it.
It will be back. Imagineers take it out, CMs put it back in.

On WDWM, I will be neutral on this subject. :D

And, for the record, I have never put the Hidden Mickey in myself.

Neverland

Everyone else is right, it's a CM-created hidden Mickey, and therefore not an official one. Most of the stuff in the ballroom isn't bolted down, so if the CMs wanted to, they could make multiple hidden Mickeys, or move the props and furniture around (and then get fired for it...).

sweetpee_1993

It will be back. Imagineers take it out, CMs put it back in.

On WDWM, I will be neutral on this subject. :D

And, for the record, I have never put the Hidden Mickey in myself.

Everyone else is right, it's a CM-created hidden Mickey, and therefore not an official one. Most of the stuff in the ballroom isn't bolted down, so if the CMs wanted to, they could make multiple hidden Mickeys, or move the props and furniture around (and then get fired for it...).

That's exactly the way I heard the story of this un-Hidden Mickey or whatever you wanna call it. I was told underneath each dinner plate or place setting or something on the table there's a pic of what each setting should look like. I have no idea if that's true. I was told there are no pics of the plates arranged into a Mickey thus making it unofficial. Still, seeing the plates in their un-Mickey positions is cool because that means someone important has been there recently. :D

On a side-note, I love seeing the maquette's feet swing out where you can see them as you pass the fellas hangin' out on the chandelier. That's the neatest thing to me!

raven

Yep, there are poloroids under each plate showing how the setting should be. They are all "supposed" to be a normal setting. A couple other facts about the ballroom are that the waltzing ghosts have no shoes on and an extra giant pane of glass is stored behind the wall with the fireplace on it. This is on case one of the large ones in the ballroom break.

Yoop33

I did a backstage tour in the first couple week of becoming a CM and it is amazing at what can and cannot be seen by guests. Everything is truly "on stage" so what is meant to be seen will be seen and what is not, may be right infront of you, but you would never notice. Its funny to see how simple some things are behind the scenes to make it look so complicated on stage. PS... The dancers in the ballroom are all wearing the same color dresses as Bell, Snow White and Cinderella

enoe01

Hey Raven

Is there any truth to the rumor about a child's picture being underneath a plate, I believe it is under the large plate where the female ghost is leaning over the table blowing out the candles?

Thanks
Erik

raven

Hey Raven

Is there any truth to the rumor about a child's picture being underneath a plate, I believe it is under the large plate where the female ghost is leaning over the table blowing out the candles?

Thanks
Erik

Hmm. Didn't see under all of the plates so I can't say.

But few more fun stuff: Each picture of the bride in the attic shows her current husband and the protraits are surrounded by the wedding gifts they received. Each time she married another man the gifts got more expensive. You will also notice that in each protrait she is wearing a pear necklace. 1 strand for the first husband, 2 strands for the 2nd and so on.

The dog in the graveyard by the gatekeeper has milkbones on the ground in front of him.

There was actually an official protrait of the Ghost Host when the attraction first was conceived. His portrait is in the hallway of doors on the right side of the ride path.

Some of the statues of animals in the Pet Cemetery were actually lawn orniments bought at local garden centers.

The changing portrait in the foyer has small gold Mickey's in the frame.

ntoeman

I actually got to do the CM tour a couple weeks ago...They didnt show us any picture of a child under that plate, but there are polaroids under each place setting to show how WDI wants each one to be set up in there. The cobwebs in there are original to opening and unlike any other of the webs in the mansion. During the most recent big refurb, the entire ballroom was actually sealed off to make sure it wasnt at all touched or bothered by anything else going on in the building.

Yoop33

Hmm. Didn't see under all of the plates so I can't say.

But few more fun stuff: Each picture of the bride in the attic shows her current husband and the protraits are surrounded by the wedding gifts they received. Each time she married another man the gifts got more expensive. You will also notice that in each protrait she is wearing a pear necklace. 1 strand for the first husband, 2 strands for the 2nd and so on.

Each picture also shows the Bride marrying an older man as they aged through time... but she never ages in any of the pics.

DiPSU224

I love these little nuggets of info on the way things work backstage. I have always wanted to see the ballroom from behind the scenes.

I do have to say though, I feel like I've seen the hidden mickey in the plates missing more often than not. Usually it's the first thing I look for and definitely take notice when it's not there.

sweetpee_1993

I knew about the Mickeys in the frame of the portrait over the fireplace before you step into a stretching room. I have one more "nugget" to ask about. We were told a pretty elaborate story about some benches that aren't always sitting outside the HM or just outside the house gates. I've never really remembered to look for it. I was told they aren't always put out. Only during slower seasons. Anywhoo, supposedly there were some black wrought iron benches that a teenage girl sat on waiting for her family to return from riding the HM. She was too cool to hang out with her family or something. So she's sitting on the bench & takes out her bright red nail polish from her purse & occupies herself by carefully dotting red paint on the decorative snakes or serpents or whatever that the bench arms or legs or feet are shaped from. A CM wasn't far & saw her doing this but got distracted before he/she could say anything. The girl's family came out & she moved on leaving behind the red eyes on that bench. The CM forgot to say anything to anyone. The benches were removed within a day or so & sent to Central Shops for repainting/refurbing. The cast there see the red eyes, not knowing this isn't the way the benches should look. They strip them down & repaint, red eyes included. And that's how a guest forever altered the appearance of something in a park.

Any truth or substance in that one???

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Okay, so while we are on trivia: how are the changing portrait effects accomplished (preshow/bride)? Is the same "technology" used for both?

enoe01

Thanks Raven. If you ever do get a chance to take a peek under that plate let me know. The rumr was that a family had a sick child who they had brought to the Magic Kingdom and he rode HM over and over, it was his favorite. After the child passed away the family mailed a letter to the Magic Kingdom talking about how the child had loved HM and wanted to be a part of it, so they included a picture of him to out under a plate in the ballroom. I think the picture is taped to the plate so it wont be lost.
This is all i know about that rumor.

Thanks
Erik

NewfieFan

I knew about the Mickeys in the frame of the portrait over the fireplace before you step into a stretching room. I have one more "nugget" to ask about. We were told a pretty elaborate story about some benches that aren't always sitting outside the HM or just outside the house gates. I've never really remembered to look for it. I was told they aren't always put out. Only during slower seasons. Anywhoo, supposedly there were some black wrought iron benches that a teenage girl sat on waiting for her family to return from riding the HM. She was too cool to hang out with her family or something. So she's sitting on the bench & takes out her bright red nail polish from her purse & occupies herself by carefully dotting red paint on the decorative snakes or serpents or whatever that the bench arms or legs or feet are shaped from. A CM wasn't far & saw her doing this but got distracted before he/she could say anything. The girl's family came out & she moved on leaving behind the red eyes on that bench. The CM forgot to say anything to anyone. The benches were removed within a day or so & sent to Central Shops for repainting/refurbing. The cast there see the red eyes, not knowing this isn't the way the benches should look. They strip them down & repaint, red eyes included. And that's how a guest forever altered the appearance of something in a park.

Any truth or substance in that one???

I heard that one too! But I heard they knew that someone painted it red but repainted it back on b/c they thought it looked cool! Really I have no idea!?! :shrug:

Mansion Butler

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/wdw_hidden_disney.htm
i posted about this several years ago. this has to be one of the most talked about official "unofficial" hidden mickeys at WDW. They put out a pin in Oct of 2006. I have seen the table with the regular hidden mickey about 95% of the time, the hidden mickey done with bowls instead of plates 4% and no hidden mickey once or twice in the last 10 years.
Whoah, there's a pin with it? Holy cow, that's awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom