mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

PrincessNelly_NJ

I don't fit on Harry Potter. I DO fit on this. The best way I can describe this, is as follows:

You are in a Splash Mountain Log with Expedition Everest Lap Bars.

All you have to do is get the bar over your knees a bit, but you'll have less room do do that in. Sit, legs slammed together and it will work for most. Do not fear that bumping or jarring will hurt your legs. This isn't Big Thunder or Space. This is super smooth.
Really? Not even in the larger sized seats. I love the larger size seats! I'm getting concerned about whether I'll fit because I carry all my weight in my legs...:(

Absimilliard

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the restraint change had to do with the height requirement.

Don't think so... There was an horrific accident involving a coaster that had individual T bar restraints last summer in Texas and I have a hunch the whole industry has soured on T bars. Sure, the coaster in question was much bigger, but try explaining that to lawyers... They see restraint, mention the last accident and voila... forced design change.

cw1982

Really? Not even in the larger sized seats. I love the larger size seats! I'm getting concerned about whether I'll fit because I carry all my weight in my legs...:(

I think you'll be fine! DH has pretty thick legs (I do too, really...), and he said it was snug but not unbearable. You've seen pictures of him, so maybe that'll give you a better idea of the sizing here. You probably can't tell, but his legs are super muscular from all the strength training he does.

You would think that with this expansion they would keep in mind the larger guests. I know some of my family has difficulty getting in certain rides, but the rides are older so the average person has changed. I was hoping that these newer rides would be more accommodating to that crowd. I know it's in Fantasyland, but that doesn't mean it's just for kids and they shouldn't be leaving a percentage of their guests out.

WDWDad13

Don't think so... There was an horrific accident involving a coaster that had individual T bar restraints last summer in Texas and I have a hunch the whole industry has soured on T bars. Sure, the coaster in question was much bigger, but try explaining that to lawyers... They see restraint, mention the last accident and voila... forced design change.

Maybe...but the way that accident happened and if it doesn't latch and goes forward on a decent, it wouldn't matter if it was a t bar or a u bar

Maybe they should go with t bars or 1 big lap bar for the car and extra seat belt restraint for the little ones?

dadddio

I dunno about that. I would bet there are plenty of people types they wish wouldn't come, but they obviously could never say that publically.
I agree. They probably secretly wish that whiners and cheapskates would stick to the theme parks down the road.

dadddio

And I'm not sure I understand the comment about shirts not fitting. Maybe I'm taking it too personally because I used to be bigger, but suggesting that people who overeat are more likely to buy clothes there because what they brought doesn't fit is borderline offensive, and far from accurate. Even heavier people would generally have to make quite the effort to gain enough over an average stay to need new clothes.
I think that you read more into my clothes comment than was there. I wasn't suggesting that the clothes that were bought on Monday didn't fit by Friday. I was suggesting that the tshirt that was bought a year ago no longer fits. This shouldnt be taken as offensive and certainly isn't 'far from accurate'. It's actually a very likely side effect of gaining weight, after all. It happened to me after my accident. I was no longer active and gained weight, resulting in the need for larger clothes.

cw1982

I think that you read more into my clothes comment than was there. I wasn't suggesting that the clothes that were bought on Monday didn't fit by Friday. I was suggesting that the tshirt that was bought a year ago no longer fits. This shouldnt be taken as offensive and certainly isn't 'far from accurate'. It's actually a very likely side effect of gaining weight, after all. It happened to me after my accident. I was no longer active and gained weight, resulting in the need for larger clothes.

Ok, but the comment about clothes not fitting came right after your remarks about overeating. I was not the only person who thought you were implying that the gains would happen that quickly. Weight gain over a year is likely; the way it sounded in your post, not so much.

I even admitted I might have been taking that too personally, and I'm sorry if I did... but the tone I got from that made it sound like you were implying that Disney wants people with food problems to come and binge on expensive and unhealthy treats, gain weight, and need new clothes before they leave because of their lack of self control. Might not be exactly what was said, but that's where my mind went as someone who has been judged for my weight for decades. I'm used to hearing similar comments elsewhere, and it still stings, even if they're not talking about me anymore.

Sorry about your accident btw... I hope you're okay.

LithiumBill

To be fair, most people that visit WDW no matter if they gain weight or not, will by a new shirt if they bought one the year before--weight gain does not effect that spending.

cw1982

To be fair, most people that visit WDW no matter if they gain weight or not, will by a new shirt if they bought one the year before--weight gain does not effect that spending.

Yep. And, those of us who don't usually buy a shirt as a souvenir won't change that habit just because we've gained or lost weight. I never bought them when I was heavier, because I knew I wouldn't end up wearing them, and guess what? On my trip last week, I didn't buy one either, for the same reason. Not because I'm thinner now, but because I won't end up wearing it, and the shirt would just stay put away in a drawer somewhere, taking up space.

ETA: if anything, though, thinner people are more likely to buy a t-shirt or other clothing than heavier people, because more items are generally available in smaller sizes than plus/big and tall sizes.

dadddio

Wow. You guys are going at the clothes thing pretty hard. Suffice it to say that my post was true about myself and probably many, many other people. The mere fact that it isnt true about you doesnt change that.

We generally go to WDW with some frequency. As such, I usually don't buy tshirts every time because I already own more Disney tshirts than I need. However, when I gained weight, I no longer had a supply of wearable Disney tshirts, so I bought one on my next visit.

A person who gains weight finds himself needing to buy new clothes. That's the entire point of the 'clothing' part of my post.

cw1982

Wow. You guys are going at the clothes thing pretty hard. Suffice it to say that my post was true about myself and probably many, many other people. The mere fact that it isnt true about you doesnt change that.

We generally go to WDW with some frequency. As such, I usually don't buy tshirts every time because I already own more Disney tshirts than I need. However, when I gained weight, I no longer had a supply of wearable Disney tshirts, so I bought one on my next visit.

A person who gains weight finds himself needing to buy new clothes. That's the entire point of the 'clothing' part of my post.

I get all that. But, while something not being true about me or someone else doesn't make it not true of everyone, the fact that something is true of you doesn't make it more likely to be true of others than what is true for me. We are all different, and making assumptions about people and their spending habits based on overeating is far from scientific. My husband still eats almost as much as most athletes, even after having weight loss surgery, so by some definitions, he could be thought of as overeating... but he also lifts weights and stays fit, so just the fact that he eats a lot doesn't guarantee that his clothing from a year ago won't fit. Heck, I'm 5'2" and weigh 130, and by some definitions I overeat as well, because I have to eat several times a day since my stomach doesn't hold much food. So even though I'm not eating a lot, I'm still eating frequently, which can mean a good bit of spending on food in parks if I'm not buying items that carry well as leftovers, and yet my clothing from last year all still fits. Likewise, there are other reasons why people gain weight besides overeating: metabolic problems, side effects from medications, etc etc etc. Furthermore, just because someone outgrew a Disney shirt doesn't mean they necessarily want another one. Like I said, lots of assumptions there.

As far as my reply, I was only trying to explain why your other post came across differently from the way you clearly intended it. I don't think anyone is going at this "hard" as you say... it's just part of the discussion at this point lol.

dadddio

I get all that. But, while something not being true about me or someone else doesn't make it not true of everyone, the fact that something is true of you doesn't make it more likely to be true of others than what is true for me. We are all different, and making assumptions about people and their spending habits based on overeating is far from scientific. My husband still eats almost as much as most athletes, even after having weight loss surgery, so by some definitions, he could be thought of as overeating... but he also lifts weights and stays fit, so just the fact that he eats a lot doesn't guarantee that his clothing from a year ago won't fit. Heck, I'm 5'2" and weigh 130, and by some definitions I overeat as well, because I have to eat several times a day since my stomach doesn't hold much food. So even though I'm not eating a lot, I'm still eating frequently, which can mean a good bit of spending on food in parks if I'm not buying items that carry well as leftovers, and yet my clothing from last year all still fits. Likewise, there are other reasons why people gain weight besides overeating: metabolic problems, side effects from medications, etc etc etc. Furthermore, just because someone outgrew a Disney shirt doesn't mean they necessarily want another one. Like I said, lots of assumptions there.

As far as my reply, I was only trying to explain why your other post came across differently from the way you clearly intended it. I don't think anyone is going at this "hard" as you say... it's just part of the discussion at this point lol.
You. Are. Still. Doing. It.

My post was not so deep that it requires all of this parsing.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Are you referring to the 'new' Texas Giant accident?

omurice

Letting people get all the way into (attempting) to board the ride vehicle to decide if they can ride, is a FAIL. I saw it first hand, twice, and it was shocking if CMs let someone of a wide girth all the way through that long, 100 minute queue, only to have them walk away embarrassed, and not able to ride. I guess the CMs have to walk a tight rope. If they say something to a big person at the entrance it could seem like profiling or fat-shaming (see Universal, Forbidden Journey early days); but if CMs do not warn the guest, which seems like the operating procedure on 7DMT (I don't know this but saw it on 2 different days now), now they're wasting guests' valuable time. I'd rather be a little embarrassed before waiting an hour and a half, instead of a lot embarrassed after that wait. A ride vehicle outside* or early on inside the queue might have been one solution. How can Sum of All Thrills get that concept right but the latest custom, multi-million dollar coaster cannot?

*I know there is a part of a vehicle on display outside but I believe that it is some distance away and perhaps well off the ground it's not where you could test, folks on vacation need something a little more obvious for the scale to register

MagicByPencil

Wow. . I know 7DMT was made for younger children but if the width is 13.5 inches than heck, that /is/ a tight fit. My dad loves to do everything with his three girls (me being one of them) but hearing this kind of makes me weary. Not saying weight is an issue here, but I thought the trains from seeing them run outside when I was visiting would be a bit larger in width. What kind of bar system is this? Does anyone know?

dadddio

Wow. . I know 7DMT was made for younger children but if the width is 13.5 inches than heck, that /is/ a tight fit. My dad loves to do everything with his three girls (me being one of them) but hearing this kind of makes me weary. Not saying weight is an issue here, but I thought the trains from seeing them run outside when I was visiting would be a bit larger in width. What kind of bar system is this? Does anyone know?
I think that its important to note that the 13.5 inches is measured at the knees (or just above), not at the upper thigh or waist. I'm getting pretty chubby and my quick, at my desk, very official measuring shows that I could squeeze into a paper-sized (11 inch) 'hoop' if I needed to without damaging the boys. Surely, the vast majority of people could squeeze into a 13.5 inch space. I get that the largest among us are not going to be able to ride this ride, but I don't think that the issue is as 'big' as was initially reported.

Last edited:

Mouse_Trap

Regarding having T bars on the ride, take a look at this screenshot from a WDI video...

Capturedrsquoeacutecran2014-01-06agrave233903.png~original

My hunch is that something happened very late in the design to force Disney to retrofit a U bar in the space originally designed for an individual T bar. I have my suspicions on what that that event was, but the end result is that you have U shaped bars in a tiny space.

On a similar note, I rode Tokyo Disneyland Splash Mountain in April and guess what they have installed recently? Expedition Everest U bars! Made it nearly impossible for someone who is 6'3 with long legs to get the bar over my knees, but the kids LOVED IT! It dropped the height restriction to 35 inches tall minimum.

Interesting theory on the T bar and good picture spot. However, it could be that this was just early concept art, note that the back row has no restraints. I doubt that was an intentional design choice - it was probably just easier to do it like this and the same to draw a T bar in the front.

Minnie1976

No offense to anyone because my husband isn't a small person, but has Disney looked at the size of people who come to their park. People are grown big these days. They need to take that into consideration when designing ride seats. I am not a tiny person either.

hokie075

If I can ride it anyone should be ok I'm 6' 4" 360 lbs and all belly. I fit fine with room to spare. So glad I was nervous from what I had read on here. But I was good to go and actually loved it. My whole train was singing and screaming. Awesome experience worth a 10 hour drive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom