mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

Alan518

I am 5'8 and 300 lbs. I tried to get on to Mine Train yesterday only to find out it wasn't even close to possible. There is absolutely NO WAY any obese person like myself could fit into this ride. Don't even try it. It was very embarrassing. Luckily my family had a fastpass - otherwise I would have waited 120 minutes (yes, 2 hours) to be disappointed. The u-bar didn't even make it down 1 click - and the seats are very narrow. Extremely poor design by Disney.

Mr Anderson

I am 5'8 and 300 lbs. I tried to get on to Mine Train yesterday only to find out it wasn't even close to possible. There is absolutely NO WAY any obese person like myself could fit into this ride. Don't even try it. It was very embarrassing. Luckily my family had a fastpass - otherwise I would have waited 120 minutes (yes, 2 hours) to be disappointed. The u-bar didn't even make it down 1 click - and the seats are very narrow. Extremely poor design by Disney.
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to politely disagree with you there. You cannot blame the fact that you didn't fit on design. There are plenty of people who call themselves big/obese on this forum post alone that have said that they fit. The guy above you, in fact, said he fit with room to spare. I cannot imagine how embarrassed you must feel, but c'mon man; don't blame it on design. Disney can't realistically be expected to make every ride to fit every single body type.

Last edited:

lunchbox1175

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to politely disagree with you there. You cannot blame the fact that you didn't fit on design. There are plenty of people who call themselves big/obese on this forum post alone that have said that they fit. The guy above you, in fact, said he fit with room to spare. I cannot imagine how embarrassed you must feel, but c'mon man; don't blame it on design. Disney can't realistically be expected to make every ride to fit every single body type.
Well, I would disagree with you a little, I'm a bigger guy and I have zero issue with fitting on anything in the entirety of WDW except for this one ride. That would lead me to believe that they gave zero thought to the size of person that might be riding it, which to me is a design fail, especially when you are touting it as a "family" coaster for everyone to ride together and enjoy. I would say the gentleman you referenced above is more the exception than the rule.

Marco226

Is there a test vehicle outside the ride? I've ridden it twice but don't remember seeing one. Maybe that would help people figure out if they can ride before waiting hours in line? I mean, those u-bars really do make a tight fit. I'm only 185 pounds, and I had a little trouble getting comfortable. I'm now on a diet because of that btw...

bjlc57

Original Poster
well I started this thread.. and like I said, I have never not fit on a ride.. NEVER.. some were TIGHT. .but I always fit.. this is TOO TIGHT.. 13.5 inches? sorry.. but that's tight.. in ANYONES BOOK..

Mr Anderson

Is there a test vehicle outside the ride? I've ridden it twice but don't remember seeing one. Maybe that would help people figure out if they can ride before waiting hours in line? I mean, those u-bars really do make a tight fit. I'm only 185 pounds, and I had a little trouble getting comfortable. I'm now on a diet because of that btw...
I haven't been there since they built it, but as far as I know... no, there's no ride vehicle outside.

cw1982

I didn't see one either. That was three weeks ago.

Mr Anderson

well I started this thread.. and like I said, I have never not fit on a ride.. NEVER.. some were TIGHT. .but I always fit.. this is TOO TIGHT.. 13.5 inches? sorry.. but that's tight.. in ANYONES BOOK..
Well, let's remember the measurement was referenced by some random forum poster that we don't even have proof of being accurate. But I'll be happy to bring measuring tape with me on our upcoming trip and measure the actual space between the bar, not my legs, and take pictures if anyone is interested. Granted, my trip isn't until December... :facepalm:

In Disney's defense... now that I think about it... I bet they wanted the fit to be tight due to all the swinging that goes on during the ride, so that riders aren't injured. :geek: Just a thought... don't kill me, angry mob... just defending the place that I adore.

Last edited:

wilkeliza

Just got back from a four day trip. Rode this on Sunday morning. After it having a delayed opening I must say that although I loved the ride even I was uncomfortable in it. I'm only 5'6" and 150 but it was snug. The other two party members got to ride but we all ranged from snug to super tight fit. Seems they would have covered their bases with r shaped bars instead of U. Have the R go from middle to outside so that the bar would separate the two people and would prevent sliding into each other but would allow taller and bigger guests to spread out a little. Also wouldn't be that long of a fix. I bet they could do it over a few night especially by just taking cars off for repair one at a time.

lunchbox1175

In Disney's defense... now that I think about it... I bet they wanted the fit to be tight due to all the swinging that goes on during the ride, so that riders aren't injured. :geek: Just a thought... don't kill me, angry mob... just defending the place that I adore.
Lol....sadly, there isn't that much swinging, it is hardly a noticeable effect.

Mr Anderson

Lol....sadly, there isn't that much swinging, it is hardly a noticeable effect.
Are you for real?!? All the videos I watched about the making of the ride made it seem like the ride was going to swing wildly back and forth as you rode. :banghead:

Note: I have refused to watch videos of the actual ride so it will be a surprise when I get there on my trip.

awilliams4

Maybe the engineering limitations involved with creating this ride had more to do with the narrow fit than anything else. If that is the case, it is tough not to comment on posts that are pointing the finger at Disney in cases where obesity is the factor.

HRHPrincessAriel

DH is 6 foot 220. He said is was snug but nothing that took away from the ride. It'll be interesting to hear my dads thoughts in Nov. He's a little taller about about the same weight.

disney4life2008

I am not reading all these pages: question is - have they added a test seat outside the attraction yet? If not, when will they? I would rather be embarrassed in private than in front of hundreds of people.

lunchbox1175

My son and I got our bucket swinging at least 30-40 degrees to each side during the slow part of the ride. It was very significant during our attempts.
Sorry, maybe I should have been more specific....the cars don't really swing all that much on their own while riding it. I also got that thing going pretty good side to side while we were stopped for some reason.

lunchbox1175

I am not reading all these pages: question is - have they added a test seat outside the attraction yet? If not, when will they? I would rather be embarrassed in private than in front of hundreds of people.
No, they do not have one, nor do I think they ever will, as that would be admitting that there is an issue, and they don't have a test seat that I know of for any other attraction.

disney4life2008

No, they do not have one, nor do I think they ever will, as that would be admitting that there is an issue, and they don't have a test seat that I know of for any other attraction.

They have a test seat for Expedition Everest and it is off to the side near the single rider entrance.

I have a FP+ for Mine Train my first day and I am mortified of being embarrassed at the start of my vacation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom