mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

Reason

Exceedingly longtime lurker, never poster here.

To help alleviate some anxiety over seating issues: I am 6' 2", 320 with a 52 inch waist and I found SDMT seating to not be that restrictive. I only wear a 32 inch length pant however so my shorter legs may have helped me. I was surprised {pleasantly} that the bar locked without being down to my beltline.

As for the ride: Think of it as a dark ride, not a thrill coaster, and you will be very happy. I see this ride being popular for a long time. That said it will take a lot of Disney PR money to keep media focus on this IF Universal PR can capitalize on the much larger additions they are opening down I-4.

TheGhostWithTheMost

I'm confused about the person who claims that they rode with the bar up. The car would not be able to be enabled to leave the station. I know this for a 100% indisputable fact per a friend who works the attraction. It had to come down in some form...

ASilmser

I am also 6'2" and in the 320's. The mine train was fine for me. The issue is the bar fitting over your knees. The ride forces you to sit with your knees together. The side bars are kind of narrow and need to squish over your thighs a little bit. If you are worried, do like I did, and ask a cast member to get a manager for you. I asked the area manager about my body size, and he reassured me that I'd be fine before I got in line. It wasn't an ideal situation, but it sure beat waiting forever and then not being able to ride. The area manager explained to me that if the bar can move 3/4 inch down, you're good.

Dj Corona

I have to say, this thread has me curious, I'm 6'2", close to the 200 pound range, but I'm all legs, and Space Mountain is an uncomfortable fit for me. Add me to the list of people who constantly get their knees beaten up by safety bars on just about any ride, anywhere.

SorcererDonald16

IMO, the seats are poorly designed in general. I am 5'7" and very thin and narrow (around 110-115 pounds usually), and the back of the seat was murder on my back. No flat back, more like what felt like two jutting out parts digging into my kidneys. Not fun (though the ride itself was smooth).

My dad is around 5'10" and 230. It was not a comfortable fit for him, but manageable. His first comment was "This had to be designed for small folks." Then cue me with my commentary-- I'm small and it was no dice for me too.

I don't know who specifically designed the seats, but I would love to know what made them think that design was a smart idea.

disney4life2008

A member of another Disney forum took a measuring tape with her as she rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train today, and the width is:

0cVSxP5.jpg

Also known as a tight fit. No wonder so many people are finding it uncomfortable.

Yea I am beyond 13.5 sitting down. Any idea if and when they put a test seat out? I am not going to even waste my time standing in line only to be embarressed.

Dj Corona

If not a test seat, you'd have to think by now this would be a big enough (no pun intended) issue, that at some point a "magical-fied" head's up in the form of a sign should at least be in play, right?

dadddio

I'm confused about the person who claims that they rode with the bar up. The car would not be able to be enabled to leave the station. I know this for a 100% indisputable fact per a friend who works the attraction. It had to come down in some form...
I agree. The bar must have gone to the first click, at least. I'm not buying that they allowed that train to depart with a bar fully up.

ASilmser

I agree. The bar must have gone to the first click, at least. I'm not buying that they allowed that train to depart with a bar fully up.

BTW, There are no "clicks." on the safety bars. They are locked using compressed air, so they offer a much wider range. No more choosing between floating around the seat because the bar is too high, or cramming to the next click to be secure but squished. You just pull it down until it is comfortable and it locks in place. Because of this, the rider who claims the bar was "up" could be telling the truth as they see it. It's possible that he/she pulled the bar forward far enough to let the ride sense that the bar was down, but not far enough to feel safe and secure. Without any clicks, it seemed that the bar was not functioning properly. The cast member who was doing a final safety check could have then neglected to notice that there was a large amount of clearance between the bar and the person's lap (or the person's body type did not provide it) and given the all-clear. Technically, the bar was down, but it may have felt like it was up.

CRO-Magnum

6'2" 290 with 44 inch waist. I was able to ride on Sat. Tiny bit tight, but not uncomfortable.

I thought it was me replying, but I haven't been recently! Sorry but it's funny to me to find someone who's the exact same height, weight, and waist. Hope you had a great time and thanks for being so specific for me :)

jjnshane

I'm a size 10/12, with "good childbearing hips" and I fold the seat to be a tight fit for my backside. :joyfull: It wasn't super uncomfortable, but it was really snug! And I remember thinking, I know there are people with wider hips than me, how are they going to fit? That does come across as being poor design -- and that is sad because the rest of the ride is well thought out.

ptaylor

Premium Member
The ride can clearly accommodate very tall people, as we saw the Orlando Magic riding on opening day.

For anyone who is too overweight to fit, perhaps take that as a sign that it is time to get in shape and lose the weight. Disney cannot, and in my opinion should not just keep increasing the size of ride vehicles to fit increasingly obese guests. It is sending the wrong message.

LithiumBill

The ride can clearly accommodate very tall people, as we saw the Orlando Magic riding on opening day.

For anyone who is too overweight to fit, perhaps take that as a sign that it is time to get in shape and lose the weight. Disney cannot, and in my opinion should not just keep increasing the size of ride vehicles to fit increasingly obese guests. It is sending the wrong message.
You are correct, Disney does not need to accommodate everyone. But they have set a great precedent of doing so in the past. More so than other parks, which is great. But as a larger fellow, I never raise a fuss if there is something that I outsize (looking again right at you Forbidden Journey), but I never had that problem at the WDW properties.

I'm not overly concerned about 7DMT either, there are plenty of guys and gals larger than me riding that. I think it is a bit overstated that the ride is too small. It is small, and a cruncher on the boys, but like Goofini, it's a kids ride, and to be expected.

Also remember, for some, "just loose weight" is not an option. There are many many medical reasons for being overweight.

righttrack

I don't fit on Harry Potter. I DO fit on this. The best way I can describe this, is as follows:

You are in a Splash Mountain Log with Expedition Everest Lap Bars.

All you have to do is get the bar over your knees a bit, but you'll have less room do do that in. Sit, legs slammed together and it will work for most. Do not fear that bumping or jarring will hurt your legs. This isn't Big Thunder or Space. This is super smooth.

Obi

wow....

for anyone who is rude, insensitive, ignorant and just plain being an , perhaps take it as a sign that it is time to go to compassion class. disney cannot, and in my opinion should not, adjust their parks and procedures to increasing overly insensitive attitudes. it is sending the wrong message.

DisneyWorld30th

Hi all,

I have not tried the new Mine ride. I am a little nervous myself as I am a big guy.

I have what doctors call a little bit of a weight problem.

When I was at Universal a few years ago, I tried the test seat in front of the Revenge of the Mummy. It was tight but the cast member said I should be fine. I was able to ride without an issue. I believe they had a row of larger seats.

Once I got off the ride I decided to ride again as I felt good having just come off the ride.

I rode in the exact same row and the cast member said I couldn't ride. I explained that I just got off the ride and he said, no you didn't. Your too big to ride this ride. I was horrified. It ruined my entire day.

I am able to ride Expedition Everest. It is tight on my knees but I get through it. I can also ride Rock N Roller Coaster and Splash Mountain without an issue. Kali River Rapids lets me use two seats, so I am fine.

I am unsure how the new Mine Ride will work for me. It looks tight on the pictures.

Does Disney not use the verbiage anywhere that this ride might not accommodate certain body sizes? I did see the safety sign online but it wasn't mentioned. So I thought I would be good.

Tobe

Point taken - however a theme park is also out to make a buck and given the average size of Americans and many others these days, they will want to be able to accommodate those individuals carrying some extra weight as they are becoming a "larger" part of the population. Pun intended.

I do have to say as a bigger guy, I think Disney does do a fairly good job at making their rides fit a large variety of body types and sizes. I don't think I have ever not been able to fit into a Disney World ride but there have a couple of rides (generally the suspended coaster variety) at other parks that I have not been able to ride depending on my size at that particular time in my life. We shall see in November if I can squeeze my fat thighs under the bar on the SDMT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom