mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

dadddio

Regardless, he waited for 1:10. Had he known that he wouldn't have been able to ride, he likely would have done something else.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm still hoping they will provide a test seat.
I have read reports of media members being thankful for the test seats on Gringotts because someone of them couldn't fit, so it saved them being embarrassed.
I think people just don't want to waste time.
If I am too fat to fit, just tell me from the start so I can get back to eating my dole whips please and thank you!:cool::D

alissafalco

Regardless, he waited for 1:10. Had he known that he wouldn't have been able to ride, he likely would have done something else.
Ok, but that wasnt the issue I was answering to. I was answering to his problem of being too big to ride- look at the title of this thread (and his first post that I quoted). The issue you are referring to did not develop until a few pages in. So please dont tell me and @PhotoDave219 that we "are missing the point."

PhotoDave219

Ok, but that wasnt the issue I was answering to. I was answering to his problem of being too big to ride- look at the title of this thread (and his first post that I quoted). The issue you are referring to did not develop until a few pages in. So please dont tell me and @PhotoDave219 that we "are missing the point."

I think he is referring to the lack of a test vehicle to see if you fit before waiting an hour in line. Which they may want to get on top of.

Mr Anderson

Makes me sad to read this ! As a large lady I have always been so surprised by how accomodating the rides at Disney are. My next trip to Disney in Nov 2015 will be just me and my 10 year old son as I've recently divorced. So if I can't ride, DS probably won't either. Ugh ... just another reason to be pi**ed at myself for having all those extra cheeseburgers !! Time to fire up the old treadmill and get some more weight off !!!!!!!!!!!
You know, I somehow missed this post before. Good on YOU for being one of the rare few on this forum post to be willing to put out the effort to make the ride work for you rather than expecting Disney to revamp a brand new ride, or redesign the cars/lapbars, etc, etc. KUDOS! I am working on losing some weight myself... trying to get rid of my "spare tire" before our trip in December '14; I have around 20-30 more pounds to go.

Good luck on your weight loss! You knock it out of the park, @joannecasey !! Show those cheeseburgers who's boss!

disney4life2008

Some of the comments on here baffle me - and I will not call people out. I will say: As a overweight man (5'7, 345lbs) I do not expect to fit on everything. Its like certain airlines - I avoid Air Train, United, AA because I know I can not fit in their seats and dare I ask for a seatbelt extension I am looked like I am crazy. Southwest I fit comfortable and 9 times out of 10 - I fly to early in the day I normally have a empty seat next to me.

As for theme parks - IoA and US are the worst. Prior to my immense weight loss I went there with my boyfriend (2009) and was not able to ride most attractions. By 2011 I could do everything in both parks except for Rip, Ride, Rock It. I know going to IoA and US that I can not expect to ride everything - and in 2014 I know that as I have gained much my weight back.

As for disney - the argument (for me) is simply about adding a test seat outside the attraction. I am not asking for them to redesign or add a new car for big/tall people (and understand there is a difference between BIG and TALL - they do not work hand in hand as many department stores claim). I have nephews that are early tweens that are upward 5'10/11 and medium built - how am I supposed to know they will fit? The argument about big people is justified - I am 5'7, 345lbs I will be LIVID to use the standby line and wait 90 minutes or use my FP+ reservation only to be embarrassed in front of everyone else because I can not fit.

And to those who make the argument "do something about your weight" - obviously you do not understand that everyone situation is different. I am sorry if I do not run 90 miles a day and eat veggies all day and stray from meat. So please do not tell us we need to do something about it - there are many factors to someone being overweight (its like height - you cant cut off your legs to become shorter). One can lose weight for any vacation to make themselves feel better and confident. Children are not all small anymore - there are some that are bigger the average teenager. the simple argument and recommendation here is to add a test seat.

PrincessNelly_NJ

You know, I somehow missed this post before. Good on YOU for being one of the rare few on this forum post to be willing to put out the effort to make the ride work for you rather than expecting Disney to revamp a brand new ride, or redesign the cars/lapbars, etc, etc. KUDOS! I am working on losing some weight myself... trying to get rid of my "spare tire" before our trip in December '14; I have around 20-30 more pounds to go.

Good luck on your weight loss! You knock it out of the park, @joannecasey !! Show those cheeseburgers who's boss!
No one is asking for it to be revamped... Just for a test seat. Some might say they should have made the ride seat bigger to accommodate everyone but obviously that isn't always possible.
In the case of Forbidden Journey, that really wasn't a weight issue but a that some people's shoulders were too wide or that some women with larger chest couldn't fit... things beyond control. So they accommodated them. Just like Gringotts has leg restraints that a few media people were saying they couldn't fit because their calves were to big.. Some people have big calves! They may find a way to fix that too...
In the case of 7dmt, taking out the weight issue, some people may have long legs and cannot ride. They can't change that. So Disney may pull a Universal move and revamp the trains or at least one car, to accommodate guest who cannot fit because of things they cannot change.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

No one is asking for it to be revamped... Just for a test seat. Some might say they should have made the ride seat bigger to accommodate everyone but obviously that isn't always possible.
In the case of Forbidden Journey, that really wasn't a weight issue but a that some people's shoulders were too wide or that some women with larger chest couldn't fit... things beyond control. Just like Gringotts has leg restraints that a few media people were saying they couldn't fit because their calves were to big.. Some people have big calves!
In the case of 7dmt, taking out the weight issue, some people may have long legs and cannot ride. They can't change that. So Disney may pull a Universal move and revamp the trains or at least one car, to accommodate guest who cannot fit because of things they cannot change.
I've said this before on this post... several people have chastised/berated Disney on this thread (even after saying Disney is the one park that has ALWAYS been great about fitting everyone), and were arguing that Disney needs to create some sort of different type of lap bar or make a new type of car (or at least one in the back, someone said) specifically for larger folks. All of them insulting Disney for being "short sighted" or "not willing to cater to larger folks", etc. etc. I wasn't referring to the people who want a test car hidden off to the side... that's fine! That's a GREAT idea, and I agree with it. Most of the people who made that suggestion were level-headed and cool about it, just saying they wanted to avoid embarrassment or a long wait.... totally understandable, and wouldn't be very hard to pull off.

Does that make more sense?

cw1982

True. But the facts of nature are mostly the same. Most anyone and most everyone can be a size that isn't obese if certain steps are taken, period. They don't require surgery either.

Ok. I know that there are a good number of people who are obese because they eat too much and don't exercise, but I can't stand this mentality that many seem to have that assumes that anyone who is obese is that way because of their own actions... even if that is true of a large percentage of people.

Some people have diabetes, are insulin resistant, or have a gluten allergy (and don't even know it). Any of those can royally screw with one's metabolism, making weight loss all but impossible without surgical intervention. I've even heard of people with brain tumors who are left with conditions that cause someone to never feel like they've had enough to eat. Not to mention, that, when a person gets to the point where they are obese, by then their stomach is stretched out, and the part of the stomach that stretches to hold excess food is the part that produces ghrelin, which is what sends hunger signals to the brain. So, for many, once they get to a certain point of excess weight, the odds of ever being a healthy weight again are less than 5% without surgery.

I'm not suggesting that everyone who is obese should run out and have surgery by any stretch of the imagination. That's a drastic step that should only be used when someone has tried every other option first, and seriously given those other options a serious effort. But I know many people whose lives have been saved by surgery, and many of those people had been fighting to lose the "old fashioned way" on their own for years.

Please let's not turn this thread into one of judging people for being obese. The whole point of the thread should be that Disney needs to find a way to prevent guests from being mad and embarrassed because they waited in line or wasted a fastpass, just to find out they can't ride.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Ok. I know that there are a good number of people who are obese because they eat too much and don't exercise, but I can't stand this mentality that many seem to have that assumes that anyone who is obese is that way because of their own actions... even if that is true of a large percentage of people.

Some people have diabetes, are insulin resistant, or have a gluten allergy (and don't even know it). Any of those can royally screw with one's metabolism, making weight loss all but impossible without surgical intervention. I've even heard of people with brain tumors who are left with conditions that cause someone to never feel like they've had enough to eat. Not to mention, that, when a person gets to the point where they are obese, by then their stomach is stretched out, and the part of the stomach that stretches to hold excess food is the part that produces ghrelin, which is what sends hunger signals to the brain. So, for many, once they get to a certain point of excess weight, the odds of ever being a healthy weight again are less than 5% without medical intervention.

I'm not suggesting that everyone who is obese should run out and have surgery by any stretch of the imagination. That's a drastic step that should only be used when someone has tried every other option first, and seriously given those other options a serious effort. But I know many people whose lives have been saved by surgery, and many of those people had been fighting to lose the "old fashioned way" on their own for years.

Please let's not turn this thread into one of judging people for being obese. The whole point of the thread should be that Disney needs to find a way to prevent guests from being mad and embarrassed because they waited in line or wasted a fastpass, just to find out they can't ride.

Exceptionally well said.

dadddio

It isn't true that the issue of waiting to find out that you can't ride didn't develop until a few pages in. It's right there in the OP.

The idea that a 'photo-op' ride vehicle be added outside the line was first discussed in posts 7, 8, & 9.

The reason that wait times and the solution of having a test seat available wasn't discussed more earlier on, in my opinion, is because much of the early discussion was about why people couldn't fit and the measurement of the safety bar.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

I've said this before on this post... several people have chastised/berated Disney on this thread (even after saying Disney is the one park that has ALWAYS been great about fitting everyone), and were arguing that Disney needs to create some sort of different type of lap bar or make a new type of car (or at least one in the back, someone said) specifically for larger folks. All of them insulting Disney for being "short sighted" or "not willing to cater to larger folks", etc. etc. I wasn't referring to the people who want a test car hidden off to the side... that's fine! That's a GREAT idea, and I agree with it. Most of the people who made that suggestion were level-headed and cool about it, just saying they wanted to avoid embarrassment or a long wait.... totally understandable, and wouldn't be very hard to pull off.

Does that make more sense?
IMO, I think that people were not necessarily trying to insult Disney or demanding that it be changed but more of a...
"It would be nice or the right thing to do..."
I really only saw one person in particular that actually blamed Disney for not making rides that "larger adults could enjoy with their children" and he stated he was tall & 260lbs.
And those that rode, some were smaller, around 120 - 170 lbs but because of how they carried the weight, made the ride uncomfortable. But really most people were upset that they may not ride but took personally responsibility.

But I'm not here to argue. So please don't take anything I'm saying as argumentative.

Lloyd_Black

You guys are missing the point. Overweight people know that they might not be able to ride some rides. They don't really need the advice that you are giving.

The real issue here is that people wait in a line for 90 minutes to learn that they won't be able to ride. That's a big waste of time and a kick in the gut. Now imagine that same guest waiting in line for 90 minutes with his/her 4yo child.

While redesigning the ride to allow bigger people to ride would be a fix, it's a spendy fix. A less expensive fix would be to place a 'photo-op' train car somewhere outside of the line.

Actually, the wait time is often longer than 90 mins. Recently, I've seen wait times of up to 180 mins. I was excited when I was there recently and saw only a 60 min wait. Anyway, yeah, I have to agree with you. For people waiting so long and then not being able to ride is a serious downer. I'm not a father so I really don't know what it's like to wait with a young child, so I guess I'm spared that.

Lloyd_Black

Hey I need everyone to stop what you're doing and pay attention... I have a super important question...

What time is the 3 o'clock parade???

Funny, it's at 3pm, or 15:00 if you like 24hr time. I make a point to avoid anything near the parade route when I'm there at that time.

alissafalco

It isn't true that the issue of waiting to find out that you can't ride didn't develop until a few pages in. It's right there in the OP.

The idea that a 'photo-op' ride vehicle be added outside the line was first discussed in posts 7, 8, & 9.

The reason that wait times and the solution of having a test seat available wasn't discussed more earlier on, in my opinion, is because much of the early discussion was about why people couldn't fit and the measurement of the safety bar.
Yes, in your opinion... And i have mine. I also have never said I had a problem with them putting a test seat nearby, they should. I have a problem with the OP saying that Disney should redesign the ride for them! And if you are too big for the ride do something about it or move along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom