Mine Ride Construction Update

phi2134

For the new Disney build it is not any longer than planned.... Disney back in the good ole day was able to produce a high thrill, amazing back drop, quality ride in half of the time... Just saying...

What rides are you referring to when you say high thrill and half the time....can you please provide some details/documents or examples?

lazyboy97o

if it's so simple then build you own in you back yard see how long it takes you
Such a thoughtful comment. And I am not a multibillion dollar entertainment conglomerate. Just accept the fact that Disney decided to spread out the project and that despite the lackluster response to anew a fantasyland is in no hurry to open the attraction early.

BoarderPhreak

Yeah, Disney is purposely draggin' their feet in building 7DMT. LOL.

It's in their (and everyone else's) best interest to get it built, and get it built quickly. I'm sure they're going as fast as they can/scheduled.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, Disney is purposely draggin' their feet in building 7DMT. LOL.

It's in their (and everyone else's) best interest to get it built, and get it built quickly. I'm sure they're going as fast as they can/scheduled.

There are very good reasons to drag their feet. First it allows them to spread the capital expenditures over multiple years. Second, they could work faster if there were will to spend more money on labor. At certain times the Transformers ride at Uni had construction going around the clock. The third reason is to space out the "new things" coming to the park. December had most of Fantasyland, this summer princess fairytale hall will open, and next spring will be the mine ride. Disney is building the mine ride at the speed they choose to build it, they could be building it faster if they really wanted to.

ebof1023

But if you in charge in Orlando wouldn't you want to spread this out? Think about it you get people to come and see NFL, then bc the centerpiece isn't open yet it will force them to come back and see it completed

ctxak98

Yeah they could be building it faster! WAY FASTER! I am not saying they are going slow, Just sort of slow. TOT was built in a shorter time Im pretty sure

skimbob

Everything is going according to plan. All of this land was intentionally built in segments for a very good reason. If you look at the layout you can see that things have been deliberate in the order they were built. I had lunch with the producer of the project in January and she reported that the project was on track which is what has been reported publicly. This will be an awesome ride and new technology.

lazyboy97o

Everything is going according to plan. All of this land was intentionally built in segments for a very good reason. If you look at the layout you can see that things have been deliberate in the order they were built. I had lunch with the producer of the project in January and she reported that the project was on track which is what has been reported publicly. This will be an awesome ride and new technology.
It wasn't a deliberate choice. The coaster was added after work had started on the meet and greets originally announced for that location.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
But if you in charge in Orlando wouldn't you want to spread this out? Think about it you get people to come and see NFL, then bc the centerpiece isn't open yet it will force them to come back and see it completed

Nope, it has already been pretty much determined that a partially opened FLE, worse in stages, isn't the draw Disney hoped for. Doubt Dwarfs will make repeats plan a trip just for the Dwarf.

Me, I'll see Dwarf when I go to see HP 2.0, transformers and Simpsons expansion.

tl77

Such a thoughtful comment. And I am not a multibillion dollar entertainment conglomerate. Just accept the fact that Disney decided to spread out the project and that despite the lackluster response to anew a fantasyland is in no hurry to open the attraction early.

sure ok, one of the largest corporations in the world doesn't have the money or the resources speed production along, they'd much rather it be huge eye sore for a year plus, and delay any kind of official grand opening/advertising for the giant expansion of the park they've already invested a ton of money into... "dragging their feet" for an extra year, delaying the return on what they've already invested makes such perfect business sense

lazyboy97o

sure ok, one of the largest corporations in the world doesn't have the money or the resources speed production along, they'd much rather it be huge eye sore for a year plus, and delay any kind of official grand opening/advertising for the giant expansion of the park they've already invested a ton of money into... "dragging their feet" for an extra year, delaying the return on what they've already invested makes such perfect business sense
Who said anything about a lack of resources? It is a deliberate decision based on when the project started and how the money was always allocated. The Fantasyland project was always intended to open in phases through 2014.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Have you ever worked for a large company? In my experience they tend to be penny wise and pound foolish. No company has unlimited working capital, so they are always going to weight costs versus return.

phi2134

What possible return is there for this project? The parks are already packed, they are already selling ridiculous amounts of merchandise. This ride is going to only generate small levels of increase in park attendance just like the new areas of FLE. The ROI will be seen eventually, but I think it will take some time to achieve that.

In order to generate a ROI that is realized as soon as possible, they need to have a new ground breaking amazing ride equivalent to Tower of Terror or Expedition Everest. Die hard fans and ride lovers will plan trips and modify existing ones for rides like these. For the SDMT, I don't think its worth the rush and spending the additional money to appease people (This is my business view of the timetable that Disney set). As my view of a fan, I am disappointed, but I don't think that my life will be any less fulfilling if they don't open this before next year. Good or bad as their decisions have been, and as good as bad as their business decisions have been, I just can't question them anymore.

I will never fully understand why a business does what they do, until hopefully I am in that position one day. To be in charge at WDW and to control their budget and make the important decisions between keeping every single guest happy, improving my product and keeping the stock holders happy, I can only guess why these people choose the stockholders over their true fans. Everyone has their own morals and goals and these people have made theirs quite clear.

Mawg

Did they put together a mini version of this anywhere? And not in the back of a truck. Some place they could have really tested the movement of the cars. I'm really worried that they are going to have problems with the cars movement and that they did not think this out well. You would think they would have built a version to test the car movement somewhere but then they built a splash park with a train and had to put a fence around it. Spring 2013 is the planned date but it could be 2014 before it gets through legal and they put a halt to the swaying cars.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did they put together a mini version of this anywhere? And not in the back of a truck. Some place they could have really tested the movement of the cars. I'm really worried that they are going to have problems with the cars movement and that they did not think this out well. You would think they would have built a version to test the car movement somewhere but then they built a splash park with a train and had to put a fence around it. Spring 2013 is the planned date but it could be 2014 before it gets through legal and they put a halt to the swaying cars.

It's definitely not opening in Spring of 2013.

There is no way to put a halt to the swinging cars unless the entire track it torn out and re-done. The shape of the track is designed for the swaying motion and wouldn't work for a normal coaster vehicle.

lazyboy97o

I would imagine that Walt Disney Imagineering and/or Vekoma (my guess as they're Disney's go-to coaster company) have small sections of track to test the vehicles (although a truck could drive something similar to the ride path). I would also imagine that it will be possible to adjust the amount of swing on the vehicles. Arrow Dynamics was able to build suspended swinging coasters in the 1980s and other coaster manufacturers currently offers cars that tilt at the base. The biggest challenge with this vehicle design has no been the movement but the increasing weight of Walt Disney World's guests and the impact of that on the odd position of the pivot point.

tl77

Who said anything about a lack of resources? It is a deliberate decision based on when the project started and how the money was always allocated. The Fantasyland project was always intended to open in phases through 2014.
Have you ever worked for a large company? In my experience they tend to be penny wise and pound foolish. No company has unlimited working capital, so they are always going to weight costs versus return.
What possible return is there for this project? The parks are already packed, they are already selling ridiculous amounts of merchandise. This ride is going to only generate small levels of increase in park attendance just like the new areas of FLE. The ROI will be seen eventually, but I think it will take some time to achieve that.

In order to generate a ROI that is realized as soon as possible, they need to have a new ground breaking amazing ride equivalent to Tower of Terror or Expedition Everest. Die hard fans and ride lovers will plan trips and modify existing ones for rides like these. For the SDMT, I don't think its worth the rush and spending the additional money to appease people (This is my business view of the timetable that Disney set). As my view of a fan, I am disappointed, but I don't think that my life will be any less fulfilling if they don't open this before next year. Good or bad as their decisions have been, and as good as bad as their business decisions have been, I just can't question them anymore.

I will never fully understand why a business does what they do, until hopefully I am in that position one day. To be in charge at WDW and to control their budget and make the important decisions between keeping every single guest happy, improving my product and keeping the stock holders happy, I can only guess why these people choose the stockholders over their true fans. Everyone has their own morals and goals and these people have made theirs quite clear.

you all have kind of wandered away for the original point of "why is it taking so long?" and what I said originally is that...

1. It's a very complex structure. Meaning that every single little piece is a custom made piece, and they all have to go together one at time

2. It's being done in a small confined area. There is only so much equipment and crew that they can fit into that area at a given time to do that complex work, and the reason it's being done in a small confided area is to keep the rest of New Fantasyland open. This is the real trade off, in order to keep the rest of New Fantasyland open you have to work in this small confided area

3. It's surrounded by the guests. Keeping the rest of the area open means it surrounded by people on all sides, which creates a safety concern for the public, which in turn forces them to work in a small confined area, which limits the amount of equipment and crew they can use, to build the very complex structure one piece at a time, and this is the reason "why it is taking so long"

And the reason they are paying for it in the 2nd Quarter of next year is because this is when they estimate Mine Train will finally be finished. It could come in under schedule/budget or it could come in over schedule/budget, but they won't know exactly how much it will cost to build, until it's FINISHED BEING BUILT!

It's like going to a grocery store, you spend "X" amount of time filling you're cart with stuff, but you won't know how much all the stuff in your cart is going to cost until the end, when ring up the cost of all the individual stuff

...ya get it yet?

lazyboy97o

you all have kind of wandered away for the original point of "why is it taking so long?" and what I said originally is that...

1. It's a very complex structure. Meaning that every single little piece is a custom made piece, and they all have to go together one at time
It is not "very complex." The mountain is a small steel structure. The coaster track is all prefabricated offsite. None of this is anywhere yet near a point where it is difficult or unusual for the crews involved.

2. It's being done in a small confined area. There is only so much equipment and crew that they can fit into that area at a given time to do that complex work, and the reason it's being done in a small confided area is to keep the rest of New Fantasyland open. This is the real trade off, in order to keep the rest of New Fantasyland open you have to work in this small confided area

3. It's surrounded by the guests. Keeping the rest of the area open means it surrounded by people on all sides, which creates a safety concern for the public, which in turn forces them to work in a small confined area, which limits the amount of equipment and crew they can use, to build the very complex structure one piece at a time, and this is the reason "why it is taking so long"
Disney's Califnornia Adventure, Antartica: Empire of the Penguin and Transformers: The Ride 3-D. 'Nuff said.

And the reason they are paying for it in the 2nd Quarter of next year is because this is when they estimate Mine Train will finally be finished. It could come in under schedule/budget or it could come in over schedule/budget, but they won't know exactly how much it will cost to build, until it's FINISHED BEING BUILT!

It's like going to a grocery store, you spend "X" amount of time filling you're cart with stuff, but you won't know how much all the stuff in your cart is going to cost until the end, when ring up the cost of all the individual stuff

...ya get it yet?
I think you still need to "get it." The construction teams are going to get it done when Disney wants it done. This is not some big puzzle like you keep trying to claim where they're doing the best they can and will be done as soon as possible. It has all been planned from the beginning, from before the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster was back in the project. If the Fantasyland project had stayed as announced we'd be discussing the Toon Town Fair replacement and its 2014 opening. The Fantasyland project was always intended to open in phases from 2012 - 2014.

phi2134

...ya get it yet?

The way you explain it, no i don't get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom