Mine Ride Construction Update

doctornick

lol, we already have been! Gonna be a long three years.

Yeah, hopefully, they will recognize the need for more attractions at Epcot, DAK and especially DHS and will start building something in the near future that we can talk about.

At a minimum, I do expect that we'll have some re-imagining of rides to talk about before Pandora opens (e.g. new Soarin', maybe a new Imagination) and will probably have concept art/plans for some sort of DHS stuff (e.g. Star Wars or possibly Pixar) sometime in the next year or so.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saw this picture posted in another thread. First time I noticed that wheels on the bottom of the swinging part of the car. Must be how they hold the car straight during load and unload.

img_4296-jpg.53789

Rob562

Saw this picture posted in another thread. First time I noticed that wheels on the bottom of the swinging part of the car. Must be how they hold the car straight during load and unload.

I'm also curious if there's some way to stabilize the cars when they're away from the station, such as during an evac. I don't see any kind of rail that interacts with these wheels on the lifthills to stop them from swinging.

At first I thought perhaps there might be retractable rails that can pop out from the stairs/walkway and engage these wheels to keep the car from swinging, but then I realized that the decorate "wooden" wheels are in the way. When the cars roll through the station at Load and Unload, they're sticking up through a large slot in the floor with all of that stuff underneath floor level.

I suppose that the CM's must have some way of steadying the cars while Guests climb out of them. Otherwise that's just asking for trouble.

-Rob

mratigan

If you watch a video you can see two white strips in the track in some scenes. There is another set of wheels under the train. One wheel in the front and one in the back. These wheels roll on top of the strips and are pushed up and lock the cars from swinging. The wheels under the buckets are another way to stop swinging, like in load/unload.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
There is nothing special about the roller coaster track. It is standard track built like any other steel coaster track. Yes, the rock work is custom, but is hardly an area where experience is lacking. Test and adjust is where there would be delays if this was about the "never seen" ride system, not construction.
Indeed and agree. Disney has been using the Holy Rock imagineering for decades at both Disneyland and all over WDW, they should have it mastered by now to do it in a timely fashion. Think Canada too. Look at how quickly they put up all that rock. And rocks like this have been built forever, Zoo's were using this concept back in the 1930's, hardly cutting edge, just labor intense. After all the projects I've seen built at Disney with fake rock mountains, this is by far the slowest, understaffed project I've seen.

Throughout the years of the ohh's and ahh's of the pretty rocks of FLE I compared it to old imagineering of both Disney Parks and Zoo's for over a half of a century. Today the Bronx Zoo is opening an amazing exhibit for Komodo Dragon's. Their rock work is amazing too. Bronx Zoo has had many artists working on the rocks so anyone needing a fix of great imagineering that lives in the area and isn't in the "World," ya can pretend you're at AK and plan a visit to the Komodo Dragon's at the zoo. Komodo's have not been there in 50 years and the exhibit is large as the dragons are about 5 feet but will grow to about 9 feet. :) The videos out there this week reminds me of Disney Imagineering.

16DRAGONS-articleLarge.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom