Mine Ride Construction Update

JungleTrekFan

The truth is, could SDMT be built faster, Yes, they would need a whole lot more people to build it though. Does the construction site itself also have some serious limitations on progress, Yes, currently there is no access road like you saw on that old ariel photo that goes from one corner and along the front of the site. That corner of dirt was removed to create the first turns of the ride. There is no giant yellow crane anymore, there is one blue crane in the front that can’t really move cause its surrounded by ride track, the main show building and tourists.

Also, and i’ve stated this before, you can not compare a new park being built (Epcot) to this ride. Epcot had no limitations on its construction. It was not built surrounded by tourists with one very tiny, hight restricted entry point. If they hired enough people, I’m sure Epcot could have been built in even less time too.

WDWFREAK53

The truth is, could SDMT be built faster, Yes, they would need a whole lot more people to build it though. Does the construction site itself also have some serious limitations on progress, Yes, currently there is no access road like you saw on that old ariel photo that goes from one corner and along the front of the site. That corner of dirt was removed to create the first turns of the ride. There is no giant yellow crane anymore, there is one blue crane in the front that can’t really move cause its surrounded by ride track, the main show building and tourists.

Also, and i’ve stated this before, you can not compare a new park being built (Epcot) to this ride. Epcot had no limitations on its construction. It was not built surrounded by tourists with one very tiny, hight restricted entry point. If they hired enough people, I’m sure Epcot could have been built in even less time too.

But isn't that a planning issue?
It could've been planned a little better to not have a construction zone in the middle of a park. Phase it out differently.

JungleTrekFan

But isn't that a planning issue?
It could've been planned a little better to not have a construction zone in the middle of a park. Phase it out differently.
Yes, and no. It would have been if they had SDMT in the plan all along. But since they changed it up and the designing of it was not finished in time they really had no other option.

RunnerEd

New to the thread so if this has been covered, sorry. It seems to me like they could have held off the start of construction and begun the mine train/circus part first and worked front to back instead of back to front. P6 in military terms (prior planning prevents poor performance).

msteel

New to the thread so if this has been covered, sorry. It seems to me like they could have held off the start of construction and begun the mine train/circus part first and worked front to back instead of back to front. P6 in military terms (prior planning prevents poor performance).

Congratulations on your 500th post!

ctxak98

the point is they should have thought ahead considering it is the ride in the center! You think they would have thought to finish that before the rest was completed! It seems backwards. BUT its still sad how one attraction is built in the same time it took to make Epcot with al it has there....even if it unfair to compare, Its still strange!

Rob562

The Mine Train was built last because it was a replacement for what was originally going to go in that spot in the Expansion (the Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty M&G "attractions").

Since they made the change so late in the process, that central part couldn't be built until the coaster track was fabricated and other design elements were finalized.

Had they not changed to the Mine Train, theoretically all of the Expansion could've opened at the same time.

Their only other option would've been to hold off on *all* construction until the coaster design and fabrication was done.

-Rob

Weather_Lady

They also had a very low capacity that would have made them an operational headache.

I like to think that the scrapping of New Autographland also had something to do with my falling to my knees and screaming, "Noooooooo!" to the heavens, when I heard that the first big project in forever wasn't going to introduce any new attractions (other than the Little Mermaid), and would serve primarily as a pretty, multi-million-dollar backdrop for college students in costumes.

It's not that I hate princesses, and I DO believe in fairies -- but we can meet them already. I just feel that allocating more space and money to meet-and-greets is unnecessary, and would tip the Magic Kingdom's attraction/M&G ratio way too far in the wrong direction.

tl77

Thanks for this, this is exactly what I've been posting about on here the past few days

The job they have left to do on the mine train is mainly rock work and assembling the track. The rock work involves welding all this steel rebar mesh together one piece at a time, then sculpting the rock forms out of cement, and then painting it. Not only does the rock work cover the entire building but along the ground next to the track as well, and the track assembly is also another "one piece at a time" job

Everything that is left to do is meticulous, precision, work. I'm not surprised if it's going to take another 6 to 8 months to get it all done

lazyboy97o

Thanks for this, this is exactly what I've been posting about on here the past few days

The job they have left to do on the mine train is mainly rock work and assembling the track. The rock work involves welding all this steel rebar mesh together one piece at a time, then sculpting the rock forms out of cement, and then painting it. Not only does the rock work cover the entire building but along the ground next to the track as well, and the track assembly is also another "one piece at a time" job

Everything that is left to do is meticulous, precision, work. I'm not surprised if it's going to take another 6 to 8 months to get it all done
Plenty of steel coasters and rock work projects get built placing more than one piece at a time.

AEfx

OMG, people are still arguing about this?

Disney wanted to spread out the cost. Somehow Universal is able to throw up an E-ticket in a 1/3 of the time, in the middle of their open parks.

This is Disney - they could have done it more quickly and efficiently, but it made sense to spread it out more so they didn't take such a financial hit.

Days go by with no real activity, it's clear it's intentional, unless they have invisible workers. It's in everyone's interest to drag out a job like that - so everyone (but the guests) benefit.

Personally, I think it's terrible that that big ugly construction zone is there for YEARS in the center of Fantasyland, but today's Disney doesn't really care so much about that stuff, unfortunately, no matter how bad a show it is.

Jake Wilson

This may not be a big coaster but after reviewing the pieces of track that have been laid, it looks like a thrilling banking coaster! With the swinging affect I can see this becoming a fan favorite!

orky8

It's only one piece at a time if you only have one worker working. If you have two workers working, you can do two pieces at a time, one over here, and one over there. And, I know this is deep, but if you have three workers working, you can do three pieces at a time. Shocking, I know.

The empire state building was built in just over a year.
The disney Fantasy was built in less than a year.

Both of those projects were immensely more complicated than this little coaster (which I think will be quite nice, but I digress). Seriously, dude. Wake up. Disney has chosen this pace. It could be done faster, it could be done slower. Disney wants it done at THIS pace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom